İs Beauty Subjective?

• yes it is completely subjective
  • yes but to some extent
  • no it's not
...
...,

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it is to an extent. There are many people that agree a certain person is beautiful, but then you'll have some people who disagree. You see that with celebrities a lot and usually the ones who disagree are usually quite harsh about why they don't find that celebrity attractive. My sister is like that with Taylor Swift. Most people I know find her to be beautiful, but my sister hates on her so much.

There is a girl at my work who is gorgeous. Most guys want her, and one of the guys we work with dated her. They're broken up now because I guess she slapped him. Anyway, everyone tells him it shouldn't matter and he should feel grateful that he got to date her because she is young and beautiful.

Then there is me, who people don't look at twice. I wouldn't say I am ugly, but I won't win a beauty contest. If you were to rate me and her together, she would get the most votes. I overheard some of the guys talking, and one of them was talking about how ugly she was. I was shocked to hear him say that. I was even more shocked to hear him mention my name that he would get with if he had the chance. The guys he was talking to were shocked as well. They told him he was an idiot if he actually chose me over her.

So that's one example of how beauty can be subjective.

Most Helpful Guy

• I think beauty and attractiveness can be looked at differently.

Beauty has to do with symmetry, proportions, youthfulness, health, and certian ratios which also fall under the category of symetry. These can be measured to a certain extent.

Then there is attraction which is sexual desire. This is a lot more subjective than beauty. You could meet someone and admit that they are aesthetically pleasing to the eye but that you have no sexual desire for them. Think of pretty boys, most girls aren't going to say that pretty boys are digesting to look at, but a lot of girls admit to having little to no sexual desire for them.

Still I dont think attraction is 100% subjective. While its not a perfect correlation, I do think attraction is somewhat linked to how beautiful/aesthetic you are.

For example the closer your appearance is to fitting the golden ratios of beauty, the more likely it is that you will be considered attractive to a wider range of people. Conversely the more asymmetric and unproportional you are, the smaller the number of people who find you attractive will be. On the extreme end think of people who have severe birth defects or have been disfigured due to an accident. It is unlikely that more than 3% of the population is sexually attractive to them and even 3% might be too generous. On the opposite extreme think of celebrities and models who, may not be everyone cup of tea, will generally be considered sexually attractive by around 50-60% of the population.

So being beautiful/aesthetic doesn't guarantee sexual attraction but it does increase the likelihood of it and, but in order to be attractive you do need to be at least somewhat good looking.

What Girls Said 17

• It is, to some extend - there's certainly a "conventionally good-looking" type that is seen as beautiful by the majority of people but there will always be people who have a different taste and genuinely disagree with the opinion of the majority that this is the "ideal". I absolutely hate it when people show me pictures of some random celebrities and are like "why can't you just admit that they're hot?" and get absolutely furious just because I don't agree with them. I don't see what's so hard to accept about the fact that people all have slightly different ideas of what's beautiful..

• People seem to value 'sexiness' a lot in my opinion. And people think that people who I think have spiritual or transcendent qualities look 'plain'. =/

• @Levin yeah, I'm often into people with androgynous looks and nobody can understand why they always feel the need to tell me "He looks so feminine, I bet he's gay" or "she looks like she's trying to be a boy" or, my favourite "your taste in people is so weird!" but whatever, I like what I like :P

• According to social psychology, there are some universal features that are considered beautiful on men and women. Look it up if you want a more detailed explanation. But that only relates to physical appearance. But real beauty is more complex than that. There are more factors involved, like charisma, personality, form of expression, body language, even voice and smell. The right combination of all those factors trigger our responses of liking someone/finding someone beautiful. Which I believe to be subjective. But also, there is no such thing as total subjectiveness, since we are influenced by other people and experiences daily. Which would explain why sometimes we think of something/someone as beautiful and let's say 5 years later we have a completely different opinion. Hope this helps.

• yes it is completely subjective

• Well, yeah, but obviously there are some people that ALMOST everyone would find attractive and some people that ALMOST nobody would find attractive. So I reckon beauty is subjective but there are some people pretty damn close to universal beauty.

• Yes i think so

• Yeah but the media sometimes influences attraction.

• Yes. Even when it isn't. :)

• it's relative.

• It's subjective to a certain extent.

• Ya everyone has their opinion

• Yes to some extent. Some traits are considered universally appealing but even then other factors will determine what that person finds attractive. So it's largely subjective.

• there are two types of beauty:
    1. objective beauty; such as 'i'm not *personally* attracted by they fit the typical beauty standards'
    and
    2. attractive beauty; such as 'damn, that is my *typeee* right there'

so yeah but to some extent

• Thanks for adding the poll option B.
    That's the answer.

• Of course it's subjective, what else would it be...

• Yes, I think so... in most cases it's subjective.

• Vote A

• Yeah, i believe it is

What Guys Said 14

• there is a baseline for what is considered attractive an unattractive. it even has it's basis in math. they've been able to prove, more or less, what ratios and dimensions the things we look for have, and the things we find unappealing have.
    So there is a certain base level of objectivity. But culture and society and personal preference and expectations fill out what we look for in higher detail.

So, though built on an objective base, what is actually considered beautiful or desirable by individuals is decided, subjectively, by those individuals.

• yes it is. even if a million people agree that a person is attractive there are people who may not find that person attractive

• objective is factual... like, a year is 365 days. whereas subjective is an opinion... like a year feels like a long time

so unless we can say that attraction isn't opinion based it is definitely subjective

• It's subjective in terms of an individual's tastes and fetishes. It's more objective in that scientists have quantified beauty and have come to understand that beauty is independent of race or culture.

• There are many different people with a wide range of preferences, but in general you see what kind of people are on magazine covers, getting action/romance movie roles, etc and you can get a good idea of what the majority consensus is for a preferred sexual attractive look.

• agreed you mean it's subjective to some extent you can vote B

• Yes, it is and no it isn't. We can all agree that some Victoria's Secret model is stunning. But at the same time we can find someone absolutely breathtaking and later when they're no longer a part of our lives think "what did I ever see in them?" and it sounds cheesy so I apologise, but that's because we sometimes see more with our hearts than our eyes. So much so that when they leave our heart and our eyes take over we're kinda perplexed.

• beauty can seen as an objective average of likelyhood that people find the example attractive and als subective rating of the example by an individual person.

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; that which one person finds beautiful or admirable may not appeal to another.

• Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and those eyes are blind as crap. Todays societys idea on what is beautiful and what isn't is completely full of crap and pretty retarded. Why it has formed this particular opinion in the late 60's early 70's i have no idea, but sadly it has. Todays standards are truly wrong and outrageously unrealistic.

• So i use my own standards in beauty, i look at every aspect and find the beauty in each of those, nor do i hold it to such unrealistic standards.

• Yeah, some people like one thing, some like another.

• yeah its completely subjective.

• To what extent are you asking? Is it subjective based on societal standards or individual thought?

• Big time!

• Beauty is not subjective.
    Attractiveness and Aesthetics are subjective.

• To some extent. People overblow the whole it's in the eyes of the beholder statement.