Do you think people choose to be ignorant since we have the internet and can easily research things?

Just one of my random thoughts.

Most Helpful Guy

• Very much so.
    But also keep in mind, with the internet, it is easy to find something, some proof, anything that might be out there anywhere, to support your positions.

I mean, look at the Flat Earth society. The internet made it possible for these kooks to come together, and pick and choose information they claim is legitimate, and they've grown because new people find their stuff and think "wait, this makes sense..." because of the careful way the lie is told.

Almost anything can be argued to be true on the internet, and there will always be sources to back it up. So in that way, even those who do not "chose" to be ignorant, and even those who do research, can be very wrong just based on what sources they chose to believe, or because false information led them astray.

Most Helpful Girl

• If you mean why some people ask questions, when they could just search for the answer on google. It's due to wanting points from asking a question, that's why I ask majority of the questions that sound kind of dumb.

What Guys Said 12

• Yes, of course, but they don't know they're being ignorant. Many of the change the West is facing is due to ignorance.
    Problem is that we put being nice before having knowledge. So when a mob of ignorant screams at you some bullshit facts, most people, especially our leaders, prefer to say "oh, I'm sorry... what do you want us to do?" than actually tell them they're wrong.
    We're being led by ignorant because we'd rather be nice than being knowledgeable.

• Yes it is a choice they make for themselves.. most believe they will never be found out who it really is that is being the idiot.. so why should they worry about it.. there are lots of ignorant people on the net.. and more and more come on line everyday.. most I know do not do this.. but lots that do think different and those ones could care less about anything.. take care now

• It is more simple laziness.

• Personal insecurity usually wins out over curiosity when the two clash.

• Yes, there is also a term called Cognitive Dissonance that is surprisingly common.

• No, the internet has made things easier than What used to be. Nowdays we have the whole world at our fingertips we can find out anything in seconds

• did you get your phone back? heh

• Studies have shown that people are lazier in studying because they have Google. I read that a while back.

• No, its the way they were brought up

• well i don't think of myself as ignorant. do you?

• Sometimes. I think it's more that people don't seem to actually use their brains anymore.

• People are so ignorant they're uaware of all the knowledge they lack.

What Girls Said 6

• YES. Even 'smart' people can be happy being stupid. Even people with internet can be in the dark. The missing ingredient is critical thinking and understanding what a reliable source is.

• Yea often but most of the time ignorance goes along with stupidity so they're too stupid to realize how ignorant they're being.

• Ignorant people usually choose not to look up answers but rather just like to know they are right regardless of the actual facts.

• Yes and no. The internet also encourages stupid research. Instead of challenging yourself, people look for "facts" that already back up their prejudices.

• yeah definitely, just google it

• No, sometimes things come in conversations that you never thought to research about.