Is this weird? Teacher takes a photo of you?

A fire alarm went off in our school today right before lunch ended. I was already in my classroom, and there were only a few other students in the room. When it went off, the teacher pulled out his cell phone and took a picture of everyone in the room, with me being in the dead center of the shot. He could have taken the picture from any angle, but he chose the one where I would be the main focus.

He said it was so that he knows which students were in class before the alarm went off. Although, there were less than 10 students in the room, so why didn't he just count us or remember our faces? The people in the room were those that are ALWAYS in class early, and it's been that way for the entire school year. Everyone else shows up later. After several months of being in school, you'd think he would remember our faces, right? Some of them even spend the entire lunch period in his room, like I do.

... Was it necessary for him to take that picture? Do you think he just wanted an excuse to take one? As SOON as that fire alarm went off, he took out his phone. It seemed unusual. Or, am I just being completely unreasonable and irrational? What would you think of the situation?

Just for the record, it's a high school freshman class, so we're all between the ages of 14 and 15.

• It's weird
  • It's NOT weird
  • It depends on... (tell me what)
  • Other/Results
If you're going to vote "depends," at LEAST give a response for it.
Thanks for clearing this up for me. I understand it now.

Most Helpful Guy

• The laws about it vary by state. In my state it's not illegal to do that if you don't disseminate (pass around or post) the picture at all.

Nowadays, every school I've been to (I'm a teacher) has computerized systems for taking attendance, and each student's picture is on there. If this had happened during class, it would have definitely been unnecessary. But you said this wasn't during class. And you were in his room, so that means he's responsible for all of you, just like if he were your parent.

I don't think his motivation was "creepy" or anything. It's definitely never a good idea for a male teacher to be doing something like that, though, because people will assume things and blow it out of proportion.

If you're really concerned about it, take it to the math department chair or someone in the front office.

Most Helpful Girl

• Here's my take on it:

I have a horrible memory. I'm talking swimming laps in a pool and forgetting what lap I'm on while doing a 200 (it's literally 4 laps 😑) or forgetting the topic of conversation or names.
    Anyway, let's say I get a job as a teacher. One day, the fire alarm goes off and, as I haven't been told this was a drill, which leads me to assume "oh shit the building is burning down." I have ten students in my classroom, and knowing me, especially in a state of panic (I may look calm but I'm shitting myself internally) I may forget how many students are there and which ones they are. I have two choices: I can snap a pic of the class to remember everyone who's there, and get everyone out, or just get everyone out. Now, let's say one of the students gets left behind, or gets lost in the confusion on the way out. If I have a pic that I can look at and say "OH CRAP JIMMY IS MISSING" I can, A) tell the fire department someone may be in the building, B) ask the other teachers if anyone has Jimmy with them, or C) turn around and go back to get him. If I don't have the pic, I may not be able to identify who's missing, and I may not be able to alert the fire department someone is missing. If they die as a result, I'll never be able to forgive myself, because I could have taken a pic and made sure everyone gets out safe.

Make sense?

What Guys Said 14

• I think you need to calm down, he is liable for his students safety, and 10 people is not super easy to remember when you have 100+ students almost everyday come through your doors.
    I would have done the same thing, he took a quick snap of the classroom and bingo, he knows who he has to keep track of. It's not rocket science.
    Maybe you just want to believe you were his focus...

• Not only is that weird and unnecessary, it's also potentially illegal. I don't know how the laws are where you live... I assume you're American. Unfortunately, the US isn't exactly big of privacy laws because many Americans don't care about it. In my country it would be illegal for the teacher to do that. He can't just take a photo of you without first asking you for permission (of course it is the same vice versa). But even if it's not illegal where you live, it's certainly rude. He was clearly ignoring your right for privacy and he should have asked all of you for permission before taking the photo.

• you're bothered because you're dead center, he's a guy, and he didn't warn y'all prior to taking the pic.

not weird. smart. its a waste of time to hold everyone up cuz he has to write down whos there. waste of time to inform the class prior. someone will speak or ask a question...

even in a real emergency i support his decision to take a picture of how the class was before everyone panics and bolts out the door. (let's hope not). it's also useful if one of you goes missing, he has something to show the detectives.

• "the teacher pulled out his cell phone and took a picture of everyone in the room________________"
    Nothing wrong there.

• Since there was a fire alarm it's just for the school insurance. ID-ing who's in his class.
      Nothing wrong there.

• I had a teacher in the 12th grade who took a picture of everyone on the first day of class. I thought it was weird at the time, but the more I think about it (and the more I know about him), he was probably just doing it for memory purposes.

I don't know enough about your teacher to conclude one way or the other.

• Do you want more information to help? It doesn't seem like this guy would want to create memories. The reasons why:
      1) He's never taken a picture before or kept anything shown to him by students.
      2) He has no problem getting close to students, which is why I feel he had a different motive. When the class is doing work, he walks around, leans close to one student at a time, and offers to help them.
      3) He's not involved in student's lives. He just teaches them math.
      4) When we went outside a few minutes later, he was talking to a young girl, and he seemed to be smiling at her cleavage (he's taller, so he can get away with that).

• @ Asker
      My son is a math teacher too. He has some photos of his classes on his profile page on the school site. Nothing wrong with that.

• What I meant by "memory purposes" is that he needed to get pictures of everyone in order to memorize who they are.

Your teacher *does* sound a little suspicious. I think it's possible he was just flustered by the suddenness of the alarm and was doing what he thought was best, but I'm not very sure about that. Maybe you should talk to somebody. I wouldn't know whom, though.

• I mean it's not that bad, unless it's something he does regularly. I mean he didn't really need to, but he does have an on reason, and some people's memories aren't great-they're not going to remember which students were their or not and its easier to have a pic.
    That being said, if there's anything else that he does which makes it seem like there's more to it, it's slightly more worrying
    But by itself it's not that bad

• You are WAYYYYYYYYYYYY over thinking and reacting to this. I could even see this being something that they tell teachers to do as part of fire safety/emergency planning training.

• In today's world a picture is a form of personal insurance. If one of you students didn't make it out and was real fire, that pic could give rescue a face and last known location.

• 1. do you sit in the middle of the classroom -______-
    2. is this normal procedure for fire alarms? drills or otherwise?

• 1. No, actually! I sit in the very back, right corner. I never sit in the center, so his camera angle doesn't make sense to me.
      2. Not the picture part of it. Usually we just walk outside.

• so wth. just be glad he cares about you not burning to death.

• I actually agree with you, he was just being careful

• Not really weird no... its a good idea actually

• chances are, you're imagining it.

• He wants to remember the good kids and maybe use that photo as reference while grading haha.

• Documentation.

• So he can jerk off your picture

What Girls Said 9

• I had a teacher who took our pictures. But that was college. And he was like 70. And it was the first day of class. And he literally came to class the next day with our faces on flash cards with our names on the back and studied them.

But that was still weird af.

• He could have a bad memory when it comes to people.

• Yeh exactly! It took me 6 months to memorize my neighbor's friend name, i always forget him after not seeing him for few weeks.

• YES!

• little weird, but smart. he wouldn't have had time to make note of everyone who was in class before leaving the room

• It's weird to take a pic of the class however I doubt it was intentional that you were in the center. You weren't the reason he took the pic, basically.

• He purposefully walked around the room, examining it from all angles, and decided to take that one. Also, he didn't ask. He just took it.

• I don't know, I think you're taking it too personally. I doubt he did it to get a snap of you specifically.

• I never said it was. But it's still a possibility.

• Yes it's weird even if he was trying to remember who was in his room, why didn't he just right down your names?

• In a situation where it might be a real fire, they wouldn't have time to write down names. Their job is to get us outside quickly. Also, he knew it wasn't a drill, so he was trying to be quick about it. It ended up being falsely triggered.

I guess, with all the technology in the world, it's much easier to snap a photo than count a few people... 0_o

• I trunk the idea into make sure everyone makes it outside

• @Ginnyweasley97
      There was an urgent evacuation because of the alarm: no time to lose.

• I really think that you could be jumping to conclusions. Then again, I also like to give people the benefit of the doubt. It doesn't sound like your teacher has done anything else in the realm of creepiness so I don't see the issue here

• Had you made this question any longer I could've printed it and started a fire.

• Whoops. Just trying to give details.

• I'd be freaked out if that happened to me. I don't like it when people take group photos and force me to be in it, so this'd be even worse. It is slightly odd, if not, very.