If humans had a cure for retardation should it be forcibly administered?

Let us say that humankind has found a way to cure all forms of mental retardation no matter how severe and allow the recipients of that cure to become "normal". In light of this discovery we have a group of individuals who are lightly mentally retarded, independent enough to live on their own and handle their own finances and the like, who do not want to take the "cure" as they see it as an affront to their right to live and accept themselves for who they are and were born as.

There is no way these individuals could resist the whole of society descending upon them but for some reason it is 50/50 and you are the tiebreaker. Do you choose to let them live as they are, and with it, not force anyone to take the serum until they are at least able to consent or show a completely lack of ability to consent or do you force them to take the serum and administer the cure to newborns who are born with any form of retardation curing it immediately?

There is no middle ground sadly much like any other bills that must pass into law.

• Yes, retarded people should be forced to be cured.
  • No, retarded people have the right to stay as they are and be themselves.

Most Helpful Guy

• I really dont care one way or another. Its one of those issues Id let everyone else decide 😊

What Girls Said 4

• I don't know, that's a tough one. I would say that if the person is completely happy how they are, enjoying their life, they should be left alone. But if their mental retardation is so extreme that it prevents them from living an enjoyable and interesting life, then treatment is probably preferable.

• I chose B, I think you should be able to add a stipulation to the law that allows those with functioning mentalities to choose their own fate. So a threshold.

• B, especially considering that the majority would choose to be cured because they face a lot of problems in society.

• Forcibly? No. Hell no. As an option? Sure.
    By the way, your question reminds me of a very good book I read called "Flowers for Algernon". You should check it out. You'd probably like it a lot.

What Guys Said 6

• did i write this why was i notified?

• Can't say retarded. You gotta be politically correct. Say "individuals with differences in cognitive and/or interpersonal functionality".

• A retard wouldn't resist. You'd just inject them and that be it.

• It'd certainly be a way to get rid of Trump supporters.

• I don't even think it would have to be administered forcibly. I think people would WANT it

• There is actually a Star Trek episode about this.

Google: Dr. Bashir, he's a medical genius, but he wasn't born that way.