Do you believe having a dog as a 'weapon' is something that is okay?

I know of someone who recently had gotten a dog. The name of the dog is Rocky. He is a very sweet, young blue nosed pitbull. The owner of Rocky only had gotten him for one reason. Not because he wanted a loving household pet for his two twins, or have a companion, but instead, to have a weapon.

I am not against having a dog for protection, but I believe this man is doing it in the wrong manner. Rocky isn't being trained by a professional trainer, but instead, the unskilled hand of his owner. From what I saw, this dog doesn't even know the basic tricks; such as sit, lay, and stay and he had the dog close to a year now. Instead, the man is trying to force the dog to be aggressive toward people he doesn't know. I would have no issue with this if the dog was being trained by a professional. Even the owner had said that he was trying to force the dog to be something close to a weapon.

Most Helpful Guy

• Could if your in the us call the humane society to look into it. All you have to say is the adress and explain you can hear and see that the dog isn't geting proper training and that its getting abused.

• I will take a look into that. Thank you. :)

• Even if I wanted to steal the dog, I don't think I could.

• Bacon sometimes works lol...

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't like the idea of it at all. Pitbulls are actually very warm and loving dogs and he looks like such a sweetheart :( this makes me really sad..

• thanks for MH! Did anything come out of this? I know a lot of people have said to call organizations.

• You are welcome! And, not yet. I have been keeping an eye on them, though.

What Guys Said 16

• My parents professionally bred, trained and sold dogs to the police for a few years. Mainly to find narcotics but also as trained police dogs to subdue targets. Including attacking (not lethally) on command. There was a brief partnership with the military that they cancelled since it didn't sit well with our family.

In my opinion, is training a dog to attack on command necessarily bad? No. Not at all. Quite the opposite, a dog properly trained to do so will (much like more traditional martial artists) generally be more secure and collected than dogs without similar training. I grew up with them and to make the cut here a dog needs to have an amazing mental stability.

Needless aggression in dogs is near always a sign of insecurities. Trying to make any being insecure is dangerous. Both to the owner and those around him. Not to mention highly immoral and detestable.
    Furthermore, on a personal basis, I struggle to forgive it since it is counter-intuitive. Making the dog secure in its role and their relation would also give the dog the stability to protect him in a pinch and he could get this professionally in several dog sports. Quite frankly on a second note: most household dogs that are patiently getting their ears pulled on by two year olds would make ideal protectors without training.

• I am against attack dogs and against guns.
    A gun is dangerous: if the owner loses control over himself or if it's fired by accident, it will make victims. It can be locked away until REAL need arises.
    I think a fighting dog is more dangerous than some guns because dogs can attack without the owner being capable of stopping them.
    Most won't be locked up 24/24/365/365.
    Many innocent children and adults were mauled by attack dogs on the loose.

If you need an animal to alert you, keep two geese in the garden: even if they get out of control, they won't do big damage. (and their eggs can be eaten)
    The days volumetric and radar alarms with motion sensors and a 110 db siren aren't that expensive.

• I agree with you. A fighting dog can be more dangerous, then a gun. Mainly if the dog isn't trained right.

• Every k9 trainer will cash the $$$ and tell you that your dog is 'trained right. ' now. and no owner will say his dog isn't.

• I think it's abusive to the animal to do that, training one to be protective is one thing, teaching it to harm strangers is another. What if it suddenly mistakes his twins for strangers? I don't think he's thought this through. I would call ASPCA just to investigate. My sister has a Pit bull/terrier rescue, that was being used for fighting, she's a beautiful dog, just so timid, but she's doing much better now that she has a home.

• I do not agree with having a dog for the purpose of a "weapon". I believe you get a dog to love it, as a part of your family.
    I agree with the view of your dog as a "shield", metaphorically, not physically. Like, if someone was to attack you, I believe it would be okay to use the dog to scare them, but not harm them. I would not agree with using your dog to attack someone else though, that is wrong. It wouldg et the dog put down, and it would not be the dogs fault.

• This guy is a real idiot. And if his twins are little that dog might kill them. It's happened too many times, sadly.

• No if they're training a dog to attack people you call the humane society and notify them of what the owner is doing.

• I have a dog as a companion. I have this as a weapon:

www.impactguns.com/.../rem_5077_bb.jpg

• I'll always see a dog as a companion. My baby... we had to put her down... but I know she'd attack anyone that tried to screw with me (even my mom when we were pretending to see what she'd do). People were horrified of her because she was huge and looked a bit like a wolf (lab/chow mix)... but at the end of the day she was a big baby. I'd consider a dog security, but never a "weapon".

• Really stupid, mean, and unfair. What an idiot. Dogs are not weapons.

• you train a pit bull as a weapon then that's a crime on its own. your turning an animal to do your bidding because you feel as if your chicken shit enough when you do wrong, you have an animal attack someone because your doing evil.

• Having a dog for protection is fine, as long as you treat the dog with love, and respect. Having a dog souly for a 'weapon' is shallow

• Keep in mind that Dogs are the progeny of domesticated wolves. By nature they hunt, are loyal and protect.

• You need to call the ASPCA, thats fucking animal abuse

• With a handful of exceptions, you can learn a lot about a mans character by how he treats his dog and how this man treats his dog shows that he is a rather unscrupolous person

• Call me sentimental but i was always into loving my dogs so much that they would deffend me if they thought i was being hurt
    Reading this aloud makes it sound like a terrible way of doing things lol

• If he can't even condition his dog correctly, he won't know how to use him correctly later on.

• are you against police dogs?

• No, but those dogs are professionally trained. They can do their duty, and still live in a household as a normal pet. This dog is being trained by someone who has little to no skill in dog training.

• then you have a problem w/ the owner.

nothing to do w/ what the dog's trained for.

What Girls Said 4

• Nope I am kinda of scared of dogs!

• This is why Pitys get such a bad reputation, they're not bad dogs, people just don't know how to treat the kids!

• Guns work better but do you

• Report him, that's not cool.