Do you follow the 10 second rule?

If a piece of food dropped before you eat it would you pick it up and eat it?

Most Helpful Girl

• Depends. If it falls in the house, where I cleaned the floors then sure ill eat it. Anywhere else, ill throw it out, as soon as it fell

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 17

• We have 2 dogs who are both VERY food-motivated (they're both formerly abused rescue dogs, and food -- along with lots and lots of love -- was the means by which we slowly won over both of their trust)... so, yeah, the notion of a piece of food staying on our floor for 10 whole seconds is hilarious.

• I didn't know you had dogs. Cool.

• @musicbrain5 oh damn they're banned in a whole province? Savage...

The worst it gets here in the States is citywide bans. And definitely nothing like that for LA (ahah yeah right, like they'd ever get rid of all the pibbles in South Central or on the East Side). I think there's supposed to be a muzzle law for when pits are in public, but, that isn't really enforced in my part of town, unless a dog is *clearly* dog- or human-aggressive.

• Yes they are. Oh well. The people who want these dogs just so they can train them to be bad and aggressive should be banned from owning pets.

• Only at home, but the dogs are right on it so it's impossible. Once food has been dropped on the floor, it's gone forever.

• What?
    If something drops it's usually already too late. I don't eat things from the floor unless it's something really dry - like a chip or dorito...

• Depends on the type of food and the type of floor lol but I generally follow a 5 second rule.

• No, you're telling me if a piece of food slipped out of my hand onto a piece of floorboard where the same shoes someone that has walked over possibly dog shit has walked the same floorboard as the piece of food , is not going to be contaminated after 10 seconds?
    The answer is NO.

• So it doesn't matter on which food it'll be just hell no? Lol

• No, if something drops to the ground I usually don't eat it at all unless it's something like an apple that I can rinse with water and there's actually a tap nearby.

• In my house, i'll pick it up and eat it since I know what's happened to my floor. In public, its pigeon food now.

• If it's a dry piece of piece, then I'll follow the five second rule. Anything else, nah.

• I thought it was the 5 second rule and yes, sometimes, depending.

• i have my own rule, if it's sticky and it touches a dirty floor i'm not eating it but if it's a hard candy and touches a semi clean looking floor i'll just go wash it off

• Oh hell no. I won't even eat food that has fallen off the plate and onto the counter or table. Im OCD a bit.

• sometimes I do XD

• Yes I do.

• In my house I do. At other places, no.

• Nope. Whether I'll eat it or not depends on how hungry I am at that moment lol.

• umm... no

• I guess it depends on what food it is and where it fell. I always thought it was the 5 sec rule though

What Guys Said 16

• It depends on the floor and food. If it is a floor I am familiar with and I know how clean it is (aka home), I may or may not go with it. If it landed outside or if it landed on an unfamiliar floor, I probably won't eat it.

Likewise, it also is dependant on the food. Chances increase of me dealing with it if it is a food I really like. If it's just something that's kinda "meh," then I won't eat it.

My perceptive value of the food has to outweigh the dirtyness/risks of eating off the floor, which isn't always the case. On a side note, food deemed unworthy of the 10 second rule tends to go to my dogs to eat haha (when I'm at home, that is).

• i've always heard it was the 5 second rule and no i don't follow it. mythbusters proved that it doesn't matter how long an object is on the floor once it hits the floor all the bacteria, dirt or whatever that is on that surface is on the food

that said i also read recently that foods with higher sugar and/or salt content absorb less bacteria so they can be "safer" to eat off the floor

• Well yesterday my fork fell on the floor and I picked it up and ate with it. I'm not really a germophobic if I want to eat something I eat it. The only thing that puts me off is hair. Sometimes I will eat hair though. . . .

33.media.tumblr.com/.../...02zJfR1sxcftfo1_400.gif

• i still eat food that fell on the floor

why?

fucking anti-bodies bitch XD

im not calling you a bitch lol

• Depends on the food, and how hungry i am. sometimes, i let it go... sometimes i just don't give a fuck... pick up, blow on it, we are all good.

• No. I toss it no matter what. Sadly, I don't know what has been spilled at that particular spot the food was dropped at. For all I know, there could have been blood there that has dried up and I don't even know of it. And when I mean it dried up, I mean it dried up to the point where it doesn't show at all.

• No wasting food!! Gotta get my macros in!! lol

• 1- it's the 5 second rule
    2- it's a myth

dry foods like cookies will attract less germs on the ground than, say, frosting

• no I follow the "don't fucking drop your food" rule.
    can't remember when it happened the last time for me...

• Five second rule. 10 seconds is just gross.

• Hell no! Even if it's for a millisecond, I wouldn't pick it up and eat it!

• Yep, even if it's got random bits and hair stuck to it!

• i'll eat an apple right off the pile at a grocery store.

antibodies baby.

• yes i would pick it up and eat it

• Only at home.

• I thought it was three seconds?

• Same here but I was corrected by someone and was told 10 but majority of people here says 5... I don't know but I think I got the point across lol