Why should people care what you think?

The premise of the culture of this website is a curious one. There is a distinct sense of entitlement in giving short-handed opinions on the personal problems of others with the intent to be heard.

The bauble is this:

If your opinion truly doesn't matter why bother posting it?
If your opinion does matter then why exactly does it matter?

If GaG is just a game then question one is satisfied but not question two and if GaG is a serious website then question two is unsatisfied (because none of you are experts in anything relationship related, I. E. family councillor) while one is answered.

• People should care what I think because I'm right.
  • People shouldn't care what I think because I could be wrong.
  • It is just a game...

Most Helpful Girl

• It's just a game but people still care anyways. Depends on the question and the person asking it. Some people are just on here looking to validate what they already think and will just disagree with anyone else. For those who are genuinely looking for advice or opinions, every comment matters to them.

Most Helpful Guy

• You don't post because people "should" care what you think. You post because they "might" care what you think or that they might find value in what you have to say. You dont know whether or not what you have to say will help them unless you say it. You dont get to decide beforehand whether or not your opinion matters or has value. It is up to the question asker and anyone else who reads your opinion to decide if what you said has any value. It is also beneficial to practice formulating your thoughts and writing them out. It can help you articulate your opinions more clearly over time.

The point of this website is to ask questions and get a broad range of perspectives and opinions from ordinary people. If they wanted the opinion of a family counselor they would go look up one and book an appointment. This is easier and more convenient, and allows you to get a wider range of opinions that if you went to a family counselor. Also a lot of the questions here deal with personal preferences like :"What do you think of this outfit" or "Do you care if a girl has sex with you on the first date". Those hardly require an expert's opinion and I dont think anyone comes to this site with the expectation of getting expert opinions.

Gag occasionally does bring in people whose life experience or education supposedly qualifies them as being an expert and to be honest their advice doesn't seem any better than anyone else.

What Girls Said 3

• we don't need to be professionals to share our personal experiences and opinions

• I didn't say you did. Maybe this question was too hard.

• I can learn things from people who aren't experts.

• People SHOULD care what I say because I might be wrong. Bad ideas and false info should be addressed and corrected😊 Caus dats what makes our world move forward😁✌🏻️

What Guys Said 4

• Mainly people come here for validation or real advice form real people, there are a few professional here, some are very good others are high expers due to the fact that they are nice or been here a long time and are well known, however doesn't mean they give good advice as I've noticed that with most opinions, people just talk about their experiences with each question asked. I tend to view each person's question as unique to them and personalize as if they are the only one's in the world that have this problem or are asking something unique, many times these questions are repeats yet in life all of our problems are repeated by those before us, it's when we see the pattern we often can ask better questions and receive better answers.

• You're expecting genuine advice from me, as I lay here in my PJs with no friends and no money?

• When you play the game of gag you win or you die.

• Expert opinion is really only valuable in the hard sciences or in practical physical matters, how best to re-tile your bathroom for example. On relationships and the like a sensible experienced person's insight is at least as valuable as an 'expert', which in either case is not very.

• Wouldn't that be backwards? Things derived (hard sciences) require less opinion and more facts and proofs while things inferred (practical applications and "soft sciences") require more experience.

To use the example of laying tile the hard science route is just googling it, and it may or may not apply to your special situation, and the soft science route is having someone experienced come in, all the right questions, gather and survey the situation, and finally give you a custom made solution.

• I suppose what I'm saying is the only advice which is really valuable is to be informed of facts of which you might not have cognizance. Experience in practical matters comes next, were the difference between the right and wrong way do go about something is readily ascertained. Advice in the soft sciences is generally no more than prejudice and the intellectual fashion of the moment.