Do you agree with the following statement?

Free healthcare is a human right.

• Yes
  • No
  • See results
LISTEN UP, MOTHAFUCKAS.

I realize that the money has to come from somewhere. And that somewhere is: TAXES. Not necessarily YOUR taxes. It could be the taxes that those corporations are dead set against paying that help poor people not die, but unfortunately, as you know, there's a lot of ass kissing between them and the government.
READ THE EFFING UPDATE!

Most Helpful Guy

• Not a human right (I don't believe in god given human rights), I do believe it more as an obligation than a right. Our society is obligated to provide what it can, and it CAN provide this service. I say it is obligated because this service benefits society. I am an American who has lived abroad for a long time (long enough to not really identify as American given current politics.) I have seen countries like the UK and Germany where people get the care they need, and flourish because of it. They go on to be productive members of society and actually contribute, vs. simply wasting away with meager assistance draining tax dollars.

I agree with your update too, people don't seem to realize that you already pay for other people's healthcare... you do so through overpriced health insurance instead of taxes. health insurance companies bank on the 3/4 of healthy people paying into a system they will never use, but feel safe having. The difference when the gov takes over this role is that benefits are universal and unconditional, vs. private companies finding ways out of helping you out after you paid them to. not to mention the crazy CEO wages, bonuses and advertising wastes.

Most Helpful Girl

• First, the government has no money for free healthcare. (Hello national debt)
    Like you said, of course a lot of the taxes to pay for the healthcare could come from corporations. They already pay more than they want, and those taxes would have to be raised to compensate. Therefore other things need to compensate. It is the way of business. When more is taken, you give less. It's always about the bottom line. So they start charging more for their Services. They lay people off. They change structures. They change import/export strategies. They outsource manufacturing and menial labor.

This corporate example is just one example of how socialized programs like free healthcare gradually decline the overall economy.

*i am not an expert. This is my opinion. You do not have to agree with it.

What Guys Said 13

• So you think you can tax a corporation. And you really think those costs are not passed. back to you in higher prices for goods and services? Or the corporation does not move somewhere where it won't have to pay them, or at least pay much less?

And then you will complain about "exported jobs". Well, who exported the jobs? YOU did.

Nope, health care is NOT A right, nor is education. There are no rights that require compulsion of someone else.

If you want to argue that health assistance to the poor, or education assistance to the poor, is a privilege that government should compel us all to pay x percent of our income, for the betterment of the nation as a public good, go ahead. Then we can dicker about the amount and extent of it.

But your claim that it is a "right" is bogus, legally, morally, and economically.

• Nor is education? I have nothing to say to someone like you.

• Sorry if the truth hurts. Again, you CAN make the argument that such public goods should be provided to all, but rights? They are not...

• it should be. the healthcare that is available to heal people should be a right that everyone is entitled to.

our freakin declaration of indepeedence states that Life is an unalienable right. so if we let a person die because they didn't have access to an unalienable right aren't we essentially wiping giving the middle finger to the declaration of independence

• YES! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

• No, nothing in life is free. The money has to come from somewhere. In the case of "free" healthcare the money comes from tax, so technically you are still paying for it.

• Thanks for stating the obvious! Looks like I'll need to update.

• Nope, it still isn't.

• Go to your own answer.

• Rights are things you have yourself. Healthcare is work done by other people, and products created by companies. You don't have a right to the products and services of others for free.

If you believe you do, then you should also believe the US 2nd amendment means the government should hand out firearms to everyone for free.

• Healthcare is not a product you want. It's something you need. Everyone needs.

• No, but poor people get food stamps & soup kitchens and people donate them clothing.

• @Asker You don't have a right to donations. If a hospital decides to donate their services that is up to them.

• To say its a human right makes it seem like you are entitled to it, so no i dont agree. What it is, is everyone contributing to a common good, anyone who uses it should be thankful of people around them.

• You are entitled to it. You're in favor of letting people suffer and die because they're poor?

• I never said that, I'm simply stating that free healthcare (in it's current form) is not a right, it's a privilege - one that people who never use it or use it very little end up funding their entire lives through taxes. I don't think you understand how government budgets works? ALL tax is collected into one pot and that pot is divided up into multiple things, so yes part of it does come from OUR taxes. They don't sit there and decide that corporation tax pays for ABC and income tax pays for XYZ...

I live in the UK where we have an excellent free healthcare system and I have no problem contributing towards it. However, until the day every doctor decides to work for free and every medicine is donated - it will remain a privilege and I want it to be recognised as such.

• Yes it should be a human right, this putting money as a value on things is nonsensical

Oh it costs billions of dollars to launch a rocket into outer space, so we can't do it
    it costs trillions of dollars for this
    It costs billions for health care

If we weren't such a greedy race, people would just do things as a united front for the sake of human advancement... working as a planet rather than segregated into tiny countries, ethnicities, religions and what not.

• no. healthcare isn't a human right nor should be

• Asker is surprisingly angry in the replies. Gotta get some popcorn and enjoy the show.

• There is no show here. This is a serious matter. Don't try to infuriate me.

• You are infuriating yourself well enough without my doing. You probably should go to some anti-aggression training.

• Sure why not

• unrestricted access to affordable (not free) health care should be a right.

• yeah it should be

• The right to life is an human right.

• Real affordable healthcare should be a basic human right, And so should blowjobs.

• You do realize Tinder exists?

What Girls Said 9

• It depends because some health issues are brought upon by individuals who choose to make poor choices (such as unprotected sex, no physical activity, constant junk-food eating and smoking)- all determinants that can lead to many of the NPHA'S. Yes, every individual deserves healthcare but if its free more and more individuals will be less likely to make healthy choices, such as protected sex, because the treatment is "free and available." We need to focus more on the social model of health and preventing diseases and spreading knowledge just as much as we need to spend money on curing diseases and health issues

• 'Free' healthcare is one of the good things about living in the UK.

• No such thing as FREE health care.

I do believe that accessible health care is a human right. This is best achieved through taxpayer funded universal health care, like most countries have.

• Yes, I dsid that! Read the update!

• Healthcare is a human right but somebody has to pay for it.

• Read the update

• I feel the same way. I wanted to help this girl make her point, but she's made is very clear she's not here for a productive debate. She is angry about something and just wants to bitch people out.

Oh you're mad people kept pointing out that nothing is free and the money has to come from somewhere? Well you should have mentioned that in your original question! And you think you can just get 'the corporations' to pay for everything without those tax policies negatively impacting those poor people you're so concerned about? Don't get mad at people for pointing out that there are logistical challenges behind providing universal health care and it's not as simple as "make the corporations pay for it".

• @Sara413 amen sister!💜

• Access to healthcare is a human right under the UN declaration as is access to food and housing. However that doesn't mean it has to be free.

• yeah in an ideal world but that doesn't mean it's efficient or is going to happen in this one.

• I am so irritated that so many people are saying yes. Healthcare is not a right. Healthcare is a service.

• I am irritated you exist. If you were poor and your mother had cancer, you'd let her die because she has no money?

• Buy health insurance. That is all.

• I don't think we're entitled to anything, exactly. There are no rights in nature of things. But we can have ideals that we strive for as the human race.

Both affordable and accessible health care AND personal responsibility should fall into these ideals.

• I don't agree with you.
    Nothing is free.

• Read
      the
      update

• So tax the hell outa the big corporations and they soon move their base of operations to some third world country. Then what are we left with sweet F all !