When people say humans are 'biologically' programmed to like something or act a certain way, does that mean people can't help that?

Like people will say men and women are biologically programmed to like something about the opposite sex. you can't change this?

Most Helpful Guy

• If i am reading the question right, In some cases they can't help it, like weather or not someone is straight or gay... In other cases its society that teaches us certain things, and that is changeable.

Like i am programmed to like women. I absolutely love women. I can't change that. I am programed to feel the need to protect my wife, and i can't change, nor would i want to change that. I have a Female friend of mine that is gay. She absolutely loves women. Again something that she cannot change, and something i hope never does, her wife and her go along together very well.

On the other hand, for the longest time we were taught to believe that one race or anther is inferior to another. We have been working very hard to reverse that. We have also been taught to hate or at least distrust that is anything against normal, which is also something we are trying to reverse.

Hope that makes sense

What Guys Said 6

• There is a definite 'bias' for many, from a biological perspective!! Men are supposed to be aroused by women, and their appearance, smell, and way they dress mimics the other, 'lower' animals, when looking for a mate.
    Humans are 'blessed', or some might think, 'cursed' with a mind that can make choices, and anticipate results, and imagine things. Some ignore the 'Higher Brain' and simply resort to the reptilian, 'FCK ANYTHING I CAN' ideal. Sad.
    Everyone, aside from those with mental disabilities, can make reasonable choices, for how they act. Yeah, you might think, 'I want him to FCK me,' but your rational mind says 'He's a drunk idiot, and what if I get pregnant with his idiot child?'
    You have desires, focused in that 'lower brain', but your 'HUMAN BRAIN' can reason, and know it is a BAD idea!!
    There is no 'excuse' in 'Biology' for acting badly, and being with the wrong person. You have a choice!! Whether you choose to make a GOOD choice, is up to you. Biology isn't 'FORCING' you to do anything!!

• i believe that experiences can change everything

• It depends on what you're talking about. Sometimes it can't be helped, often times it's just a predisposition towards a behavior.

• No. It just means that there will be an urge to do that. Like everyone has an innate fear of heights but some people will overcome it.

You should also remember that biological programming (instincts) are stronger in some people than in others.

• why fix what isn't broken

• It would be closer to "It is would take an iron will to change this" rather than something that is truly beyond one's control. A lot of things in humans are more fluid than we previously thought but again it takes a huge event to cause the change.

What Girls Said 0