Can a guy and a girl truly be just friends?

Just friends as in never saw each other in a romantic or sexual way. Not even the slightest.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• 100% possible, yes. Agree, that it's hard to maintain platonic relationship but it's not really that hard.
    In my closer 10 friends 7 are girls and 3 are guys. I don't have any kind of romantic feeling for 6 of them.
    And subset of it, my closest circle of friends is just girls. 1 of those 4 is exception because I have romantic feelings for her.
    Not even once and I can't even think about it even if I try.

Those who say no are probably either too horny and think with their sex organs or never met enough people and tried to understand/connect with people. If you look them as 'a member of opposite sex' instead of 'a person'; then it's likely that you'd never be truly a friend.

What Guys Said 16

• My best friend is a girl and I can safely say I have no romantic/sexual interest in her. At the same time, she is quite pretty and has an amazing personality. If i were to meet her for the first time again, I would probably be interested. However, after being friends with her for quite some time, any potential of romantic or sexual involvement went out the window. Both of us enjoy the friendship a great deal and neither of us feels the need to make it more than just that.

I must say that it does require a certain maturity on both sides. I can imagine that some guys and some girl will never be able to have a truly platonic friendship due to their personalities.

• I think it kind of depends.

If there was any slight attraction at first, it is impossible for them to genuinely be extremely close friends; speaking about friends, what do you define by friendship? That's also a factor to consider. If there was no attraction at first (which honestly tends to be extremely rare, because well, we're humans) it is really possible to maintain a genuine friendship.

• yup @mooky06 suh d00d

• If they aren't physically attracted to each other (or if one isn't attracted to the other at least) then they can be friends.

But usually they can't be close friends/best friends without one eventually liking the other at some point...

• Yeah, it's rare but possible. What's more common, but still not a problem for the friendship, is that at least one of them finds the other sexually attractive (especially when alcohol is in play) but doesn't develop feelings because there's no match personality-wise (yes, often we look for completely different personality traits in our friends vs. our romantic partners).

• Of course. Some of my closest, most trusted friends are female. I've never seen them in any light other than friendship.

• Yes of course

• I have much younger exes who are good friends now, although they are now with younger partners. I also have female friends in car clubs, that I don't have any romantic relationship with, although I suspect that a couple of them would like one.

• of course... I have female friends where I have 0 interested in doing anything more

• Yes definitely anyone who believes otherwise is a dipshit.

• I absolutely could. There are a lot of girls that I wouldn't ever be attracted to. And I am always looking for new friends, so...

• Its not that difficult if you stop viewing them as 'opposite sex'

• if they're attracted to each other.. only two mature adults can maintain that friendship

• I have many female friends. Some hot whom I never saw in a romantic light. Never thought about it.

• Just don't think of them as any different from your friends of the same sex

• If they have determined it first, yes

What Girls Said 8

• yes duhhh! I certainly can!

• Yes. I have plenty of guy friends that are strictly platonic.

• Only if one or both finds the other unattractive, sadly.

• Absolutely.

• of course

• Of course.

• Yeah but some things make their life easier. Like both are taken. etc

• Anyone who says yes is kidding themselves. Unless there's a large age difference it's unheard of