Why should I respect people in the Army?

The majority of them have never seen danger.

I think they just play on their computers.

I've done so much more than this.

Anyone here with first hand experience of this?

Most Helpful Girl

• They've given up their youth, the chance at a normal life with their families, and they risk their lives out in the field for people like you (which I think is a complete waste of their time and effort). While you're shaking your leg, typing this up at home, they're patrolling the streets (either in their own country or elsewhere), so I don't think it's fair to say that "they just play on their computers". They have given up the comfort of their homes just so you can stay safe in yours. They spend backbreaking hours of hardcore training just to prevent the "danger" that you never see.

You're coming off as a really stupid and ignorant person, someone not even worth defending. I've read your replies to others' opinions, and I'd like to say that they are absolutely rubbish compared to what these soldiers are doing right now. I'm not just running my mouth without facts, and your post just angered me because my uncle is a military expert in the army and my two best friends are currently serving the nation as well.

• They're not in danger.

It's an illusion.

I saw an Army parade in my city... Looked like a bunch of kids.

And don't get me started on all the "women in the Service," who did pushups also.

0.0001% are ever in danger. There's plenty of people that do humanitarian work here, too.

So all nurses are heroes also. Probably even more so.

• They do extra work that you don't see so all of us won't be in danger. and in the situation where they are in danger, they are prepared to die for their country, while you're probably cowering behind your couch at home, crying for help.

Most Helpful Guy

• See army people deserve Respect because they give hard and put their life at stake.. There is no war going on.. But they given their life's control to the nation for some years.. They could have died.. If they were sent on suicide mission.. They have watched their colleagues die.. And bleed..
    You don't want to respect them then don't..
    But if you respect one of them.. They will have your back as a team.. And if you are in a mess.. Then these guys can come in very handy.. Because many people in a nation have loved once in army.. And other way around.. They even after quitting the services have that team unity strength and usefulness..
    I agree most of them are meat head.. That is why it's easy to put up with them.. Just be smart to spin the ball around..

• But they don't put their life in danger... Most of them are in Georgia or Texas...

And I've known people in the Army who have stabbed people for no reason...

• I never said you need to be scared of them

• Thanks for MHO I hope you got my point

What Girls Said 11

• You should respect people in the army because they risk their bodies and minds to keep your country safe and hunt those who would otherwise spend a life mission trying to come to your homeland with a bomb strapped to their chest. If they don't lose a limb in the process, then they may need intensive therapy until their dying day to deal with everything they have seen and had to do in order to survive.

There is no job like being a legitimate, trained solider no matter how much you feel you have done.

• Except that they don't do that.

I've known lots of them.

None of them ever came close to doing that.

That's the fantasy. The reality is a lot less dangerous.

• If that's what you're saying, then you are mistaken. I'm a well-traveled woman and I know for a fact that is not some fantasy. There are plenty of men who are mindful and intentional about respecting women. Women shouldn't settle for any less.

• Lol, whoops, I got this post mixed up with another

• I've never experienced this but Im a bit of a hippie and think there shouldn't even be armies and or wars. There no point in spending millions of dollars on people who are just chilling in the desert and killing other humans. and this goes for any country. But whatever I can control that.

• If we did away with our armed services here, there would still be wars. And there are plenty of countries that would gleefully step in to overwhelm an unarmed USA (and also Canada). So we have to have the military to prevent attacking us even more that winning when they do attack us. Sad state of affairs, but true. But I respect your thoughts and wish there was a way to not have the wars and killing.

• The idea sounds great till you realize human nature. All the extreme religious views that drive their adherents to killing those that oppose them. And all the power hungry people that would become dictators and try to expand their control. In other words, war would quickly become though of and then become a reality.

I admire (and agree with) your view of a peaceful co-existence. But with the way so many people are, the only way to maintain peace is to prepare for war. I don't know if you are aware that something like a submarine costs billions of dollars, and we (USA, Russia, China, etc) keep making them. We have not fired a torpedo in anything but testing since world War II, so is it worth the cost? Yes, when you consider that if we did not keep advanced like that, someone else would step in and start a war with us.

• Due to the fact that there are limited resources, this peaceful world can never exist...

People get shot crossing the border from Pakistan to India.

• LOL wow. nice try.

• No I'm serious...

You're probably the wrong person to ask, huh?

• Asker, you're no more older than 25, and you're saying that she doesn't have life experience? Pot meet kettle.

• @Anno_Domini great!

• You sound like someone who got rejected from the Army.

• you should respect them because they are the ones who are putting their lives on the line so you can have a free life. they deserve respect because they are brave and they don't just fight wars they help rebuild after disasters and can help with rescues and other non army activities

• But most of them don't do this at all...

Which is the whole point of the question...

• What? You got rejected from the army?
    Awww...

• No...

• Where do you live to have such a sad army then?

• The United States...

Deaths in Iraq last year = 2

• Because your not man enough to join the army x

• I broke my neck. I wouldn't pass a physical. Broke my back, too.

• I'm stronger than them

They're pussies

• How do you know they don't see much?

• You shouldn't...

• Alright, you go ahead and say that from your safe, sheltered little life, from behind a screen while America's best put their lives on the line so snot nosed punks like you can spew idiotic and depraved bile on the Internet. Our soldiers put their lives on the line for our nation's safety and ideals, even for people like you. You have the legal right to such behavior, but you really have no right.

• Why should I respect troll questions like these?

• If you think that then why don't you go into the army? It must be so simple then.

• I've done more

• Yes, mine is much more.

They are never in danger. They mostly sit in an office.

You meant to say that I have been through more, right?

If not, you're going to have to explain what it "doesn't compare," to.

• Nah, I believe you got that wrong.

See, they choose to put themselves through months of hardcore training. And it's hell. And sure, they may not be out in danger for now but they always can be.

You broke a few bones. The only voluntary thing you did to rough your life up a bit is break some laws to land yourself in jail. Which isn't something to brag about by the way.

Doesn't really compare.

And unless you've actually been in the military, you don't have much of a ground to compare the two

What Guys Said 12

• I can thing of dozens but the best reason is that they volunteered to put their lives on the line if and when it is nessisary to protect this country and the freedoms it stands for.

• "The majority of them have never seen danger."
    1. Which is the way we want it. "To secure peace is to prepare for war..."

2. Training is often dangerous, from live fire exercises to gas exposure to the kind of machinery and weapons operated.

"I think they just play on their computers."

Only after nasty boot camp, where they get their asses chewed out.

• So they play with each other and get yelled at by a bunch of stupid drill sergeants.

I think there are more deaths from exercises than actual combat, but I could be wrong.

• You know, you are still not too old to enlist, if you want to give it a try.

• Because unlike you, these men take an Oath to uphold high principles and to defend our nation. Maybe a soldier won't ever see combat but he (or she these days) has promised to be willing to lay down his life or come back from a war forever changed so that you and I can live in peace and liberty. Because soldiers are capable, driven, workers, and rather than going out for a higher paying job which they could definitely get, they give the best years of their youth to defend bums like you. Being a combat veteran is not a prerequisite for respect, being an individual willing to put service before self can be. A lot of cops never 'see combat' in the sense an infantryman does, but we show them respect because they are servants of the city or state as soldiers are servants of the nation.

• You shouldn't. They have actually never done anything other than exercises in the army (I have been in the army). They have never seen real, actual action like war.
    There is a difference though... You should respect soldiers that have fought in a war protecting their country. Fallen soldiers that died in battle and living soldiers that managed to stay alive.

• Thank you!

Everyone please read this.

He was in the Army.

• You would agree that members of the army in certain countries are more active than others though?

• @Doofey Yes! In Cyprus the army is shit... You learn what a soldier should learn in about 3 months, the other 11 you just stand guard, clean shit and other useless shit. Minimal training the other 11 months. In sweden though the army is though af, training all day everyday for about 10 months!

• Are referring to a particular person in the Army? Sounds like you have someone in mind.

• No, just in general.

Why? Were you in the Army?

• Helo' crashes, had a helicopter crash with a few Marines awhile back. We had an F-16 crash into a row of base housing while trying to land at Miramar semi-recently. Do most face danger overseas? Yes and no. I wouldn't want to be US military in the Middle East. Even in Europe, if they find out they just fuck with you. I know what you're implying though. Not really. Being stationed in South Korea is probably safer than being Afghanistan... a lot more of a party scene to lol.

• So the greatest danger they face overseas is from civilians and they kill themselves in training exercises?

Okay...

• You couldn't be more wrong my friend.

• enlist and see for yourself. 35 is the max age.

• Wouldn't pass a physical.

• It's mainly just veterans that people tend to expect you to respect, and for good reason.

• Smh bro smh

• I sorta agree the fact is that People that join the army do it for the free tuition. Rarely is it to serve our country. a lot of them say it buy don't really believe it.

• Exactly.

This isn't WWII.

This is World War Computer Nerd.

• Yeah is the sad truth

• Granted, we haven't had a true ground "war" on the scale of WW2 or Vietnam lately, but come on, man. that's a douchey thing to say.

• But they're so loud, it's annoying.

Some of them, anyway.

I've slept behind dumpsters in the middle of the ghetto at 3 AM.

Not to mention my spinal cord injury, which most of you probably don't even know what that is.

• What does that have to do with respecting active duty/veterans?

• This is more about him feeling disrespected than anything. He's just going after the army because "he's got it so much worse".

• They put their lives at risk and often have to put much of their personal lives on hold in order to serve their country and fellow humans.

You go out and commit crimes, preying on your fellow humans, and get hurt in the process.

We respect those who risk a lot for their country, but do not respect criminals who prey on people and think they are hot shit.

• No, I didn't get hurt in the process... That's a separate issue...

And they don't risk their life... They sit at a desk...

They are not in danger...

• United States war deaths in Iraq...

2011 - 1
      2012 - 3
      2013 - 1
      2014 - 7
      2015 - 2

And most of them probably killed themselves by flying their helicopter incorrectly.

• This moment we do not have many guys stationed in those countries. But they could be put in at any time. The know that they could be sent in any time.
      American military deaths in Iraq in between 2003 and 2011: 4,488. That is just the deaths. Additional wounded: 32,222.
      In Afghanistan we have lost 2,229 dead and 18,675 wounded.
      38ccda.medialib.glogster.com/.../caskets2.jpg
      Yeah. Real safe. You are not at all intelligent.