Why they place some items so high in the grocery stores, that you can’t reach them?

It's not convenient, and some people are ashamed to ask for help.

Most Helpful Girl

• You don't need to be.
    This post only shows that you're insecure of your height.
    Cool.
    Pair up with the dude that wrote a myTake how girls should date guys that are 1 inch taller or shorter than them. >.>

• Actually I'm this guy, and you were the reason I asked this question, since we had a discussion about stores.

Most Helpful Guy

• Basic marketing strategy:
    The overpriced stuff they REALLY want to sell is placed at eye height.
    The rest either so low that you have to kneel to read the price or to stretch and ask help to get it.
    And once a month they move everything to make people search, hoping they'll buy some product they didn't try yet.
    It's the same in Europe and in the US.

What Girls Said 7

• Here is my take on it: they put it there to see if a love story starts from there! Imagine: you're a tiny little human and up there in the goddamn highest shelf are the most delicious cookies that happen to be your favorite. Along comes the tall human that can just reach your prized desire, and he/she is so kind to get them for you, spreading kindness and altruism through your heart! And an act of kindness a day, makes for a better day!

• hahaha I wish XD!

I think it is because they dont want us to reach the best produce that easily XD

• @HookingSwan Don't worry, I'll back you up!! xD

• thanks XD ;)

• Because they know the shortest people always go for that item. So they put i extremely high up to get a laugh out of them trying to get it.

• I climb the lower shelves and the bottoms of the freezers. If I still can't reach it, I get a item with a long handle.

• backstock.

• I climb on the lower shelves to get whats on the top

• Personally I wish I could use telekinesis in order to bring them down.

• That would be awesome

• because of heightism! they're heightist

• It gives employees work

What Guys Said 5

• We already kind of discussed in a myTake comment, but I believe the reasoning is simply cost of space.

If you took the top row of every aisle in a major grocery store, that'd be a lot more goods to stock. More goods to stock means you need more space. More space means a larger property. A larger property means more cost to purchase and buy.

However, the ceilings are almost always plenty high, so they aren't limited by height constraints. Height is cheaper than width.

I figure if it was anything else, places like gas stations would also have high rows. However, since they aren't affected by width constraints (they don't need to house as many products), they can afford to have shorter rows.

• It's all part of a government campaign to discourage short people from breeding.

• It's a non issue for me.

• It is for many though.

• If they are too proud to ask for help then that's their own problem.

• Because that's where they keep the best foods and short people don't deserve them.

• Can't say. Dunno why.