I feel really bad every time I try to discipline my dog?

He's 1 year and two months. And he's a Chihuahua and he gets really curious if you understand what I mean. I catch him trying to jump on things to mess with certain things he can't touch. So I have a long ruler which I scare him with but I don't hit him. I feel really bad when I sorta yell at him. But I try to get his attention with his toy but he usually starts looking around whinning. What are other ways to distract him?

Most Helpful Guy

• The best word you can teach a dog when you first get him is "NO!" If you establish that, then you can basically train him into a great dog. My dog is extremely disciplined. I am put a piece of meat right in front of his nose and he won't take it unless I tell him to.

Most Helpful Girl

• Im not sure what type of objects you're talking about, so I'm not sure if this is doable, if you don't want a dog to bite something you should put mustard, vinegar, or some spicy sauce or powder, that way the dog won't touch it, and if he does he'll be so disgusted by it that won't do it again, maybe it takes him a few tries, but eventually he'll stop.

What Guys Said 7

• Yeah It's hard for me lol when i adopted my dog, i'd be like Bad dog!! and he'd whimper and i'd just melt and be like aww no come here it's ok lmao

• Get a spray bottle/water pistol and squirt him and tell him to stop in as deep a voice as possible. Doesn't hurt the dog but gets the point across well that his doing the wrong thing.

• Put Tobasco Sauce on the end of his nose.

• Can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Think about how well trained he'll be at the end of it, and how everyone will think "Wow, that dog was really well trained. I like that!"

• Put a mirror on the ground.

• I have Chihuahua too and these kind of dogs are maybe small but not easy

• Hit him already

What Girls Said 1

• They won't learn unless you do it! In the end they'll be easier to manage, its ok.