Why is GAG so full of 'Anons'? Is Cyberspace so full of people lacking courage to put their name to their thoughts, or more cynically, pathetic 'trolls'?

Most Helpful Girl

• I always ask myself this...
    They're so afraid of being judged and confronted that they can hide in this way... because they know they can't debate, fight back or have an intelligible conversation.

• I cannot fathom it, for it also defeats the chance of making connections with others.

I must admit I post so out there stuff, occasionally perverted, but that is me. Take me as I am- cannot understand why others cannot see the merits of being themself

• We're on the same page... I don't get it either.

• Thank you =)

What Girls Said 12

• I have posted Anon before on here and there are two reasons I've done it.

1. I thought my answer was really sub-par (not insulting or a bad argument, just wasn't particularly useful) so I didn't want my username and MHO attatched to it. I still put lots of lame answers and comments without posting anon I guess it's a mood thing.

2. It's private or secret. I know it won't matter to a stranger on the internet, but I always think what if in ten years I have a tremendously successful career and someone shakes down the internet for my handles and finds a bunch of my dirty laundry to air, or a random friend runs across it and recognizes my face. There are some things I don't want to risk leaking out to the wrong places. With anon I can share the information and get feedback on problems or identify with people without any unnecisary risk of it finding its way back to me. I know the chances of that are slim to nil, but I like to keep my ass covered.

And actually once I created an alternate profile with a fake age and posted anon to get feedback on how old I looked without people being swayed by the actual number and since it was a random profile and I didn't want my face linked with any other, I anon'd it.

I get where you're coming from though. It's frustrating when people post hateful crap and won't even own up to it. It's probably the internet equvalent of talking behind someones back instead of saying it to their face.

• I guess most are afraid of what people might think, and then another part just likes to troll. Which it's easy to troll anon since nobody can block you.

• I use Anon when I want to answer a sexual question in detail so pervs don't message me

• Actually, for me, the case has to do with stalkers. The last time I put my name on something, or even wore a name tag, persons started showing up on my doorstep expecting sex. It was really scary, and as a result I no longer display my name or wear a name tag at work. I know this doesn't happen to everyone, but ever since I stopped displaying my name I have been left alone.

• Although I have only been here for a very short while, this is something that has crossed my mind several times already.

• Anon! haha! I don't know.

• In reality we're not really less anonymous than they are.

• This is what I always say. They are all bite and no bark because they are cowards.

• Yup. Pretty much.

• I will admit to going anon sometimes but not to be bitchy

• It's not that.. It's just that with a username, you can gain a reputation, and this reputation (lets say negative) might make it easier for people to get you banned, because they'll be able to scoop of mischievous opinions and BULK REPORT them, and get others to as well.

• Not necessarily. Some information is private and people feel more comfortable sharing it where their username can't be seen. You nor anyone else is entitled to know who it is VOLUNTEERING information. There's no stranger here who is obligated or has some duty to let you know who they are just because you may be feeling nosey.

• I can see this and agree, but, some are 'anon' on everything and anything

• I think you are reading too much into me just posing a thought

• Not really, just responding to the things you say.

What Guys Said 8

• I understand why people will ask some questions anonymously. But there are so many that are asked anonymously where there is no reason for anonymity. And so many opinions that have no reason for anonymity. I get suspicious o f many of the anon posts.

But most importantly, in many cases I would understand the question better if I connected it to someone who I have come to understand at least somewhat. For instance, if the same person asked several anonymous questions, they might mean more if I knew that the other questions were applying to the same person. I would have a better overall understanding.

If those who do post anonymously find someone's opinion to be good, and they have observed that the person is trustworthy on here, they could open up a better understanding and answer by messaging the opinion owner.

For that matter, it would help if people bothered to comment on some of the opinions they get. I see so many questions posted that get lots of opinions, but the asker does not comment on any of them. If the asker cared so little about the question as to not comment back to the owner of the opinion as to whether they understood the question correctly or if they were helpful, then I fail to see why they asked it in the first place.

• people are extremely afraid of being judged these days.. which is why the dating scene has become what it is today. People are super afraid to approach anymore.. which is a great environment for guys like me who at least have an ounce of confidence as there's less competition. But back to anons, i think people should stick to one simple rule: If you want to say something that you feel is so bad that you need to go anonymous to do it, just don't say it at all. You know you probably wouldn't say it in real life, so don't put on a different persona online that you know is lie

• People are here for different reason.
    Most are here for entertainment or seek actual help.

The help seekers might find the question way too embarrassing to reveal their identity

A part of entertainment seekers "trolls" or catfishes you name it love to say things they wouldn't dare to normally say

It sucks that it's as you say "so full" maybe having no anons would build a stronger GAG-community

• I've never been anonymous here and won't ever be 💁

• Maybe because most of us don't want to be harassed for putting our thoughts out there.

• Because the opportunity is available for them to be anonymous.
    Give it to people, and inevitably it will be used for trolling purposes.

• I feel more comfortable that way, and I don't like being bothered as well. I don't want any unnecessary interactions with other members.

And yeah I don't even have a single post with my name. Not even one!

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more