a mythical creature with, at a minimum, the head of a human and the body of a lion.
In Greek tradition, it has the head of a human, the haunches of a lion, and sometimes the wings of a bird. It is mythicised as treacherous and merciless. Those who cannot answer its riddle suffer a fate typical in such mythological stories, as they are killed and eaten by this ravenous monster. This deadly version of a sphinx appears in the myth and drama of Oedipus. Unlike the Greek sphinx, which was a woman, the Egyptian sphinx is typically shown as a man. In addition, the Egyptian sphinx was viewed as benevolent, but having a ferocious strength similar to the malevolent Greek version and both were thought of as guardians often flanking the entrances to temples.
- 5/5 my favorite mythological creature25% (4)0% (0)19% (4)Vote
- 4/5 i like it a lot31% (5)40% (2)33% (7)Vote
- 3/5 meh they are ok31% (5)60% (3)38% (8)Vote
- 2/5 i dont really like it6% (1)0% (0)5% (1)Vote
- 1/5 i hate it7% (1)0% (0)5% (1)Vote
- 0/5 worst mythological creature ever!0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
Most Helpful Girl
I just think the name is super cool to say.0
Most Helpful Guy
Trivia is my favourite Sphinx. She's not very good at her job.
I remember the story from when I was little - my mom told me about Oedipus being allowed to pass by the Sphinx and finding it very intriguing.0