a mythical creature with, at a minimum, the head of a human and the body of a lion.
In Greek tradition, it has the head of a human, the haunches of a lion, and sometimes the wings of a bird. It is mythicised as treacherous and merciless. Those who cannot answer its riddle suffer a fate typical in such mythological stories, as they are killed and eaten by this ravenous monster. This deadly version of a sphinx appears in the myth and drama of Oedipus. Unlike the Greek sphinx, which was a woman, the Egyptian sphinx is typically shown as a man. In addition, the Egyptian sphinx was viewed as benevolent, but having a ferocious strength similar to the malevolent Greek version and both were thought of as guardians often flanking the entrances to temples.
- 5/5 my favorite mythological creature25%(4)19%(4)Vote0%(0)
- 4/5 i like it a lot31%(5)33%(7)Vote40%(2)
- 3/5 meh they are ok31%(5)38%(8)Vote60%(3)
- 2/5 i dont really like it6%(1)5%(1)Vote0%(0)
- 1/5 i hate it7%(1)5%(1)Vote0%(0)
- 0/5 worst mythological creature ever!0%(0)0%(0)Vote0%(0)
Most Helpful Girl
I just think the name is super cool to say.0
Most Helpful Guy
Trivia is my favourite Sphinx. She's not very good at her job.
I remember the story from when I was little - my mom told me about Oedipus being allowed to pass by the Sphinx and finding it very intriguing.0