Is it normal to judge people's importance based on their education?

My mom does that where she'll be so thrilled to meet someone then learn they went to an average university or studied something easy and consider them irrelevant.

It makes me wonder if everyone is like that or just her. This is a woman who never went to University but thinks she is better than everyone because she married a doctor.

its also really funny because my dad looks down on her and treats her badly but when she's in public she acts like she has a reason to be arrogant.

Most Helpful Guy

• People in the middle east do this quite often. Parents want their children to be doctors (or any strong major) because it gives them a social status therefore when they knock a girl's house door nobody regects them. Although it's awful it does exist I think people have to learn that a degree is just a paper if u don't work hard after u get it plus our era is very different now people make money off youtube videos and people worship them so I don't treat a person any different whether he is a nuclear scientist or a regular staff what matters is how they are able to function with what they already have and how successful they are.

• Is that the reason, (the matrimonial part of it?) I'm Indian I wonder if that's it.

That makes it so much worse. I am so disgusted by her uneducated mind's perspective on things that sometimes I really wish I won't have to deal with her much in a couple of years.

• I think the situation in India and most countries of the middle east is similar;u got majors which have all the eyes on them and the path of success in people's idea is achieved by being a part of such majors.
      So we must work hard on being something we more likely don't like to have wealth so that we can -you guessed it- get married

Most Helpful Girl

• Your question is different from what you really looking for. I will answer into parts. It is probably normal to judge people's level of intelligence and importance based on their education. That doesn't make it correct or an absolute and there are exceptions but yes in general that's the way people think and that's there attitude. Your mother had another problem but you see that problem all over the United States people who are married to doctors believe they are hot stuff because they married a physician. I see it all the time.
    I find it curious that your father will looks down on his own wife but I guess that's another story. Your mother needs counseling but you are not the person to suggest it. Actually your mother and father need counseling together but you're not the one to suggest it. My advice to you is don't let two crazy people screw up your life. You don't have to be your parents you can be yourself. What I advise you going to school and getting the best education you can? Of course and that is why I say don't let your parents screwed up marriage or relationship interfere with you being the coolest and smartest individual you know.

What Guys Said 12

• I don't. I would never. I've known of some pretty stupid people with doctorates. And I've seen some pretty smart people who went to normal colleges and got just an Associates Degree. The education we have here in America is stupidly expensive, so amazingly bright people don't necessarily go to big colleges; some have to stay in state and attend their nearest college due to finances. In fact, most of the most intelligent people I know went to the local colleges. I would never judge anybody's intelligence or relevance from their past; I judge them from the present – what I see now, before my eyes.

• It's really bad form in my book to look down on people. Not everyone has the same opportunities in life, and some of the most intelligent people you'll ever meet never went to college/university.

• It's not normal, nor should it happen. Their education has nothing to do with importance. Treat everyone as equals.

• It's okay to judge them, based on their breathing. You have the right to remain silent as long as you are judged and judged accordingly. This is America, everybody judges everyone, you are not exempt from persecution or super-early
    unfair chastening, life is unfair, go to sleep and listen to the sounds of deep
    meditation.

• It is normal, and is a culturally defined standard, no different than we judge people based on how they are dressed or how they smell regardless of this having no particular bearing on their value as a person.

• Why do you find it necessary to judge anyone, for any reason? There is only one person that has the right to judge. It's not me, or you!!

• No, Mark Zuckerberg dropped out and look where he's at now?

• He was the one in a billion who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

• @meatballs21 Well, I got my Bachelor of Science in Health Information Technology and I'm still working $12.5 per hour. That's why I'm going to school for a master's degree in cyber security.

• Yup. You greatly increase your chances of a better paying job if you have more education. The alternative is to take up a trade.

• Your mom sounds like a loser.

• She is. It just scares me if she is the only one who thinks like that or everyone is like that.

• I don't know anyone like that.

• your mom looks at money
    nothing else
    she is a gold digger

• yes it is

• I think it's disrespectful to judge people's importance based on their education.

• 'Normal' as in typical, or correct?

In American culture I would say that looking down on someone for being less educated is atypical and would probably earn you scorn. That sort of behavior isn't promoted or tolerated where I come from. Not saying I agree or disagree, that's just the way it is.

• That is the correct attitude. Education is supposed to be about empowerment not a ticket to getting the right to treat others badly.

If someone's thought process is so shallow that they use something like that to put a tag on themselves it makes me wonder what the point of educating that person was

• Well if that's what you want, I guess it's correct.

What Girls Said 6

• No thats fuck up. I would tell your parents, "JUDGE ME U SON of B!"

• I don't judge people by what university degree gets put on their wall, but rather by what comes out of their mouth.

• Well, I know some people who also do that. My mother is one of those people and she also never went to college.
    It's stupid. Having a college degree doesn't make anyone better or worse.
    So, I don't think it's normal.

• Your mother needs to check herself in the mirror

• Well most actors did not went to college and they are making millions. However if it is a 40 year old Walmart or McDonald's employee that never went to college, yes they waste their life.

• No, she's a snob.