Do you think human genetic engineering should be banned?

For example changing your babies eye color hair color etc

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah it's just wrong and goes against nature, and it could easily lead to many problems.

I actually saw a movie about this where altering human genetics before they were born became a standard thing and if your were a natural born baby with natural genetics then you were shunned by society and considered inferior. It was a world were the genetics you were given by your parents at birth determined what class of society your belonged to and what jobs you could have, it didn't matter whether you worked hard or were talented. Say you were natural born and you were exactly as skilled in a field or area as a genetically altered person and you were both trying to get into the same school or the same job the altered person would always win or get into stuff because he's considered superior. Ironically altering humans started out just like you are saying now with just altering appearance but they didn't stop there.

Most Helpful Girl

• nah Sounds very cool! I want my baby to have my hair and blue/green eyes! And he has to be latino! hahaha!

What Guys Said 22

• No. Why should it be banned? There is not a single reason why choosing your babies eye color would be harmful to the child, or to society. It is no different than selecting a partner with the traits you want your kids to have.

On a larger scale, but still only talking about looks, as the technology gets better why should two ugly parents have to have an ugly kid that will most likely be miserable compared to the good looking kids. In the future I suspect not using genetic engineering will most likely be seen as a type of child abuse. This is just something we aren't use to. That doesn't make it a bad thing.

There is no reason to be fearful of something like this, as long as the research is done in a responsible manner. You might even be able to change your own genes in the future instead of getting plastic surgery as the technology keeps getting better. What we will have then is true equality, and freedom of choice. Why would anyone be against equality and freedom?

• Nah but genetic modification should be limited to curing genetic defects , if you let them start tinkering with appearances , in a few years everyone would look the same , kinda like Korea.

• A lot of disease are hereditary. You can look at a family health history and know what some dude might have a chance of getting one of the nasty ones like diabetes, heart, overweight (yeah or chubby looking) or something.

Every year, millions are spent on keeping these diseases from killing people. Those millions could be used to save thousands of refugees from dying to something like lack of food, shelter or exposure. Those kinds of money could save a lot of people.

Not doing something because it doesn't feel right is a cheap excuse. Take a look at the people to suffer and die because they don't have enough to live. Then you can ask yourself if you can willing to take a risk into unknown territory or getting on the slippery slope of moral for a chance to help one person.

• yes, I don't trust that engineers know how to control these things or know the true implications. It is bad enough in the food system and shouldn't be there either to the degree it is.
    Although it would be really cool to have a girl with pink eyes! LOL

• No. We have essentially taken the human race outside of natural selection and evolution with the advances in modern medicine and technology so theirs no going back now. Think about people who wear glasses they have a genetic deficiency that they likely will inherit or will pass on to their kids, not to long ago a person with bad eyes would not have got the chance to breed but now its the norm., bad eyesight is just a minor genetic weakness Genetic engineering offers the chance to eliminate children being born with mental and physical disabilities as well possibly prevent illnesses such as cancer.

• Part of me is kinda freaked out by it but part of me feels like it would put people on more of an even playing field if everyone could be good looking and intelligent.

• It is very expensive so only the wealthy would be good looking and intelligent.

• Initially yes, but that's how most things are when they start out but over time they become more affordable to the average person.

• Yes it should be banned.

• yes, but if both parents are say blonde blue eyes and the baby comes out with brown eyes brown hair, maybe.

• Designer children should be encouraged.

• limit it to curing disease and defects

• Good question. I don't think human genetic engineering should be banned as it can be used for good.

But I'm against the idea of designer babies.

• there trying to create life in the lab honestly
    it's the main reason

they still haven't done it
    I doubt it will be done honestly
    but I could be wrong 100 years from now lol

• Yes absolutely

• yeah i think its wrong.

• But the aliens have already done it to us

• No the world already going to hell might as well mess with the babies as well.

• No why should they be banned? I don't see any problem.

• Not really. What's wrong with it?

• don't be a pussy

• I'd say not to ban it if it the case where scientists find a way to stop human falts due to genetic disorders. Can you imagine a whole generation without having to worry about alzheimer's.

• It shouldn't be banned because it can make some cool designer kids. Possibly create a child that will be 6'9 🤑➡️😧

• Yes cuz everyone would want their baby to be white.

What Girls Said 5

• what about fixing disabilities and genetic diseases?

• Safety aside, many experts argue the use of CRISPR to correct congenital genetic defects is unnecessary. Doctors can already screen out many of these diseases before a pregnancy, thanks to in vitro fertilization and pre-implantation genetic screening.

Science writer Carl Zimmer told Business Insider previously, "I haven't seen anybody give a legitimate medical reason [for using CRISPR in human embryos] that couldn't be achieved through other means."
      In addition to diseases with a relatively straightforward cause, gene editing could also be used, in principle, to modify genes that lower the risk of contracting or developing diseases like HIV/AIDS. However, it's not that easy the same gene that makes people resistant to HIV also makes them more likely to die of West Nile virus.

• Oooooh no cuz maybe the child dosent like its looks and would feel happy about the surgery or watever

• Nope.

• No...

• No. If we have the technology and capabilities then we owe it to the pursuit of knowledge to explore these avenues of research.
    Because, GATTACA.