Why do people think cursing helps drive their point home?

Ex:

"Believe in your f*king self! Go out and achieve your f*king dreams! F*ck what anybody else says, just do you."

To me it just means they lack the writing skill to get their point across. It seems like they're on this deep level of thinking when the reality is they're just like everyone else.

All of these slick comments though. >_> Lol.

Most Helpful Guy

• They are just words, people say it to vent frustration or to show that they detest what they are talking about. I don't find anything wrong with swearing or cussing or whatever people want to call it. If it happens in every sentence them OK, calm the fuck down, but it's really not that bad. Just don't do it around children.

Actually I find that people who swear tend to be more open and honest and trustworthy.

Most Helpful Girl

• I find cursing to just be an aggressive form of filler word. So instead of "um" or "like" they just have [insert curse word here].

What Guys Said 16

• I never understood the reality that some have. The idea or mind set that cussing every other word puts more emphasis on what they are saying or that doing so makes a stronger point. When in my world I'm just more likely not going to listen or pay them any attention

• You're right. I fucking hate people that swear.

• because i can. i also like how you blocked out the "u" when saying fuck is perfectly legal on this site

• It's a choice I made for myself, I'm not big on cursing so I censored it for my own personal reasons not because of Gag.

• I swear frequently, but I do have a good grasp of the English language and can write fairly well. Hell, I was at a collegiate reading level by the time I was in late elementary school.

My take on this is that it's fine as long as it's apropos in the given situation. People who need to interject profanity in every single sentence are usually dumbasses, but can occasionally be used to show strong emotion.

• Totally. AGREE. I admit I really only cuss when I'm extremely upset or excited about something, but pretty much grew out of the need to do it as a regular thing. That's more like something that's fun to you when you're young, to just drop F bombs every other word, but over time it really just equates to the same annoying habit teens have of using "like" every other word.

Great question to post! :-)

• It doesn't mean they lack writing skills, as most people would never talk/write like that in a professional context, only social. Though "fuck" has been appropiated as a noun, verb, adjective..., etc, wrongly in English language, I think it adds emotion to certain sentences. It's not the same saying: "I really love cake" than saying "Man, I really fucking love cake", so "fuck" usually intensifies every "fucking" thing you say lol

As long as you don't over do it, it's fine I think.

• I don't get it either. And eventually it just becomes a habit and they aren't even really aware how much they do it. I think subconsciously there's some anger there and that's their way of releasing some of it in little bits. Just my thoughts.

• I for one still curse, but will always remember my grandmother telling me that it showed a lack of understanding of the English language:)

• It's a form of passionate expression, so people can be energized by what is being said same for saying outlandish things.

• Because sometimes, it just fuckin' helps.

• there's no cursing in your example? remove the censors.

• lower IQ

• because it FUCKING works!

• You know what doesn't get your point across? Censorship.

• cuz f**k

• nobody knows. but it's provocative. gets the people going :)

What Girls Said 7

• Lol I don't think it's necessary, but it's just a form of expression for some people. And it shows that they're passionate, and sometimes that rubs off and you can get other people excited and see your point too.

• To show they are mad.

• Lol sometimes it's just the icing on the cake. Other times its excessive. I don't think it has much to do with writing skills. I drop F bombs every now and then in my writing.

• My mom talks like that haha. She just wants to put an emphasis on everything bc she really feels everything that she says. She lets off steam that way too.

• I have no fucking idea. ;)

• it's jarring to hear for me since i was raised not swearing at all but it does make you pay attention to the words they're saying. i don't swear often and don't plan to.

• Swearing doesn't take away from advice. Some people can drive a good point while dropping an F bomb, I won't discount what they say simply because they swear. You can write or speak eloquently and still be making a fucking useless statement.

• That I understand but it shows me they lack skill. If they're a good writer of course the message will be delivered but if you're a good reader and understand people you can see through the facade they put up.