Does hair style help determine attractiveness? (Up vs. down)?

I am NOT talking about long or short hair, curly or straight hair, etc. I am talking about putting hair up or keeping it down.

I ask this because I am someone who never wears my hair down (not even when I sleep). I honestly hate my hair, because it's thick and dry, and I can never make it do what I want. I put it up so it stays out of the way, and so that people don't notice how hideous it is.
Well, a few days ago I overheard someone I know talking to their friend. He said he didn't like me anymore because of my hair. I didn't think it was really that big of a deal, but I know a lot of guys like seeing a girl with her hair down every now and then.

Guys, how much does hair matter to you? Girls, what is your preferred hairstyle for yourself? Also, does the style REALLY matter? Are guys more attracted to hair that's down?

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends, some hair styles are so ridiculous I wonder why girls would even think to get them. Like a mohawk or this one girl I know who took all of her hair and put it up into a giant ball on top of her head. Why?

• Well my hairstyle is as normal as can be. It's just a plain ponytail. Is that enough to make someone not like you?

• I love ponytails!

Most Helpful Girl

• Of course it can.

What Guys Said 2

• Different hair styles can in fact affect a persons perceptions

• yesy betsy

What Girls Said 3

• Sometimes it does!

• i prefer keeping my hair down or use clips to hold it back, i barely have shoulder length hair so keeping it up just looks weird

• If you really don't like your hair then why don't you just cut it? Surely that would solve the whole thing.

• It's not that I hate it, I'm just really self-conscious. Whenever I've wore my hair down in the past, people decided to be little shits and stick tape and stuff in it. Also, I just don't like the thought of it getting in the way of someone else.
      I do love long hair. If I had more confidence, I would totally wear it down all the time and put some mousse in it. Cutting it makes me feel worse; I cry when I get haircuts, because NOBODY does it right.

• well if you get it cut professionally done then that can be ok