Do I leave a tip?

So I ordered a cake from a family established business. It's a small place. The owner makes the cakes and deals with transactions. She priced the cake that I ordered. I'm paying 170. Do you usually tip businesses owned by the person making the cake? Because wouldn't the funds go straight to her pocket? Like a waiter and an employee is different I tip because I know they don't own the place and its curtesy. Opinions?

Most Helpful Guy

• Tipping is something that can apply to anyone at any place of employment doing any job at any time! It depends on if they went up and beyond what your expectations were and if you feel you got more than your money's worth and/or this person went out of their way to give you great service!

Most Helpful Girl

• I wouldn't. The cost of the cake covers their wages.

• That's what I was thinking and it's just mother and daughter owned so I'm guessing what I'm paying will go straight to them

• Makes sense to me.

What Guys Said 2

• Rule of thumb is that you don't tip the proprietor of the establishment. I learned that from Gilmore Girls.

• Do whatever you want.

What Girls Said 4

• call me stingy but i hate the idea of leaving a tip lol. it's not a thing here, so I'm not used to it.

• Are they delivering it to you?

• well, if it's a really good cake I would.

• It doesn't go straight to them, it more so goes to maintaining the company.

• So if I leave a tip how much is a good amount? She does own the business. I don't really want to leave much plus I'm paying for the cost of the cake.

• I would think even just a little bit is better than nothing. So I would suggest just giving an amount you would be comfortable with giving