Do you think take college classes with no goal is bad?

Should I just quit?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not necessarily a bad thing, maybe you might come across something you love to study. But at the same time if you weren't in school what would you be doing with your life? Just finish your general Ed classes for the time being.

• Welcome Apple, just hang in there!! 🙂

• the beginning of my freshemn year experience textbook used this analogy:

Imagine a man who goes to buy airplane tickets and says "I don't know where I want to go, anywhere's fine." Now imagine a man who says "I'd like two tickets to Seattle, Washington, please." It then asked which of those people we thought would be happier with where they would end up with.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's basically a waste of money, only go to college when you're 100% sure what you want to do with your life. I tried going when I didn't have a clue on what I wanted to do and it didn't go well at all.

My sister knew what she wanted to be but wasn't 100% sure what all she should do. After going to college for like 6 years, after she graduated. She regret losing so much money when she could have gone a lot faster and more productive road than she had took.

• sadly my parents don't agree. I told them I wanted to quit and they just hate me for it.

• Well then their loss of money if they are going to force you to stay.

Maybe try and get an internship or volunteer at places to help you figure out what you might want to do?

Thank you for mhg. ^^

• yeah I got keep going forward!

What Guys Said 35

• Without a doubt, I would have to say absolutely.

But if you did take any classes go for the most practical stuff that you can learn and still apply in real life. Such as Computer and Technology skills, Communication skills, and anything that most professional employers are looking for in general.

Stuff like History, Literature, Sociology, various "Studies" doesn't really provide you any real life hands-on training or skills to use in really any profession that exist. The same goes for any Art, Music or Performance related such as acting, drama and dancing, unless somehow you were already quite artistic and possess those talents to begin with, otherwise you would completely struggle with them. You don't really even need a degree for those kind of careers. I find it ridiculous they turn those subjects and categories into something that can be used to make profit for the schools and the people that run them.

You are better off saving your money to invest in something else you can actually do and use to help support yourself and your future.

• Not necessarily. Some of us don't know what we want to be, when we grow up!! I'm still looking!!
    Taking a lot of classes can be good, because you might, accidentally find what you want to do!! Otherwise, at some point, you realize you need to graduate, and get a 'REAL JOB' and do 'Something'!!
    Any kind of learning is good!! I took a class about Roman art, and architecture, and it just filled a 'humanities' requirement, but I liked it, LOVED their architecture, and met a great girl that was a lot of fun!!
    Once you hit the 8-years in college mark, you need to get serious, and graduate, with SOME degree!! Some jobs don't require college, but others, that degree is the tipping point to get you the job!!
    Life is all about experience, learning, meeting people!! It's never wrong, to learn something new!!

• No it can be a learning experience! AND a lot of fun! I made some of my best friends in college! Just don't get worried or anxious over the classes and study in groups! Teach the stuff whether you full understand it or not, and you'll do good! Then if you figure out what direction your tending to lean towards make adjustments! I would never trade any experiences in life for anything, but if forced to, college would be one of the very last ones! And I may have used my degree one time, beyond mention that I have one! No matters, totally worth every second!

• No, it is not a bad idea. Sometimes, the exposure to different subjects will help you to develop a goal.

• I believe they call those Electives... college in itself these days is pointless anyway... im surprised i made it through with all the ranting i did.

• It's a waste of money and time... except for my study abroad, that's worth it.

• That's the point. It's literally religious propaganda. That was what education has always been, education for the elites first, and that education was essentially propaganda religious or otherwise.

It is still that way, it hasn't changed.

• @MasterofPlebs well, mine wasn't really like that, from what i saw... it was more about money... well.. in a way though because even religion is turning to money as well and thats why im not religious...

• Is it a credit requirement?
    If it's a non-required class then it's pretty much a waste of money.
    Each credit is $$$ yo.

• You can take plenty of college courses for free if you just want knowledge. Just find what you want to study at coursera, opencourseware, or udacity and devote the time to the course. The reason why you get degrees is quite frankly for credentials. Those credentials may mean nothing in relation to your actual level of ability, but they mean something to human resources whom usually know nothing about your actual profession. All they know is that someone from some department gave them a wish list of the perfect candidate (which they know they will never get), and human resources say well there is a degree here at least I can check a resume to see if that's on the paper, so that's what you get judged for as a baseline to get an interview. So having the right degree for the types of jobs you hope to be interviewed for is very important, even if you know nothing with that title sadly...

• Dont quit one day you will have something to fall back on

• Not completely bad. Knowledge is always good and you can always use something you learn there, but if you had a goal it would be better, at least you would know what to do with all this knowledge.

• You should quit because you don't have a goal. But you should continue to go to school because some young people don't have many future goals. The older you get you will start making goals for yourself and I don't want you to regret not finishing school later in life.

• try taking generals and figuring out what your goal really is. or you can take something like business and entrepeneurship type classes and you can use those skills to utilize your hobbies for money. quitting is also an option if you have a way to do what you want and make decent money without college experience. also this is weird I think I literally just replied to one of your post. you have good questions I guess

• No, though doing something different is an option. I would suggest working towards figuring it out as to what you want, looking at your past can give you a great example.

• I mean you should have a goal, or a light at the end of the tunnel. If you're just aimlessly taking classes without knowing what your final goal is, you could just be wasting your time and taking all the wrong ones. For example, I wanted to go to med school, so I kinda geared my classes more to prepare me for that by taking a lot of science.

• Nope because some people aren't sure what they wanna do right from the beginning and a bachelors degree is required just to get your foot in the door nowadays.

• Or you can go the easier route and just tell them whatever you like about a degree at a job interview! If they are going to check up on that kind of detail, I figure you can probably find a better job elsewhere! haaa...

• I worked through college 1-2 jobs at a time usually! It can be hard or easy depending if you get the knack of getting the classes I got lucky in year two and learned how to study so much easier like a D student to straight A's

• @smell-my-fingers (: If only I could keep myself motivated!

• Well... I think it is a waste of your hard earned money. Taking a class that has no goal or use after you are done is just not in someone's best interest.

• Since it looks to me that you don't have any idea what you want do study and you are 20, maybe you should quit college till you find out what you would like to learn.
    While you are figuring that out, you should do a stint in the military. They will test you and put you in something that suites your mind. You can learn a good skill, which you might like. Plus you get paid and you can travel. Beats sitting at home watching TV all day.

• When you say 'no goal', what do you mean?
    Are you doing a useless arts, gender studies, or psychology degree?
    What are you studying?

• Liberal art degree!

• You are wasting your time and money. You will have a degree that does not qualify you to do anything.
      Change to a degree that will translate into an income at the other end of the rainbow.

• Nope. Keep at it. Any degree is better than no degree. You'll have more opportunities with a degree than if you drop out.

• Worst case scenario, you get smarter as you find a goal for going to college again. I admit I've never gone to college, but I can't think of any sensible reason to drop out.
    (Cute avi today, by the way. lol)

• Everything builds on top of what we already know

Stick with it, it will allow you to think with more depth

• Depends on the major

• It can be if you are taking classes aimlessly without any direction in mind. On the other hand, you might find a class that sticks with you and makes you wanna go into that field.

• Honestly.. quit.

Education is important.. but if your gonna do the college thing.. at least study something you love.

I dropped out once because i didn't like it.. then took some time... and discovered thwt business management is my path.

• that's what the first two years of college is all about. trying new things.

• not necessarily

• You should get your college degree if that's what you're going for, getting a degree with help significantly with finding a job

• Why not get an idea of what you want to do then go for it.

• Nah if you're gonna drop out of classes then do it but if you gotta motivation then don't quit

• Not really but there are cheaper ways to learn

• nah they could help you discover your goals they did that for me

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 14

• Not at all. Education can enrich your life and knowledge is good. As long as you are wanting to go to school, you should. I find education in different forms helps me in my everyday life.

• If you have the money to waste, go for it. But every class you take is costing you money and if it doesn't improve you or help you further yourself towards something, it's pretty pointless.

• If you otherwise enjoy school and haven't found a job to support yourself until deciding what you want to major in, I'd suggest taking courses in areas you've had little to no exposure to before. That can broaden your horizons and maybe help you discover a specialization you've never considered before.

• it isn't bad but i dont c the point. what are you living for?

• It's not bad, most people don't know what they want to do until later, don't worry and don't give up :)

• its never a bad thing to increase your education or learn a new skill

• Not necessarily. You could come across something in your studies that you find interesting and eventually decide on a major. In the mean time, you can general courses that could go towards a requirement in a number of different majors.

• Not at all. The exposure to many classes will help you decide where your passions lie.

• Are you taking the basic courses? If so it's not a big deal, but if you have no goal in mind it's a waste of time and money

• Like with no goal to get a degree? Yeah that's dumb. But if you're just saying you're taking them without knowing what you want your degree in yet, that's perfectly fine.

• Yes it is. Figure out what you want to do

• no I think it gives you the opportunity to find out what you want to do

• Nope once you look back you'll start to realize that they all might be pointing towards the same direction

• You always need goals to push yourself for success. Without goals, you will never get nowhere.