Do you say death or a life sentence?

I've heard a lot about both sides of the story. People say it's inhumane to kill another person but others say it is just as bad leaving them to rot for life. Would you rather have the peace of mind that a dangerous man was gone from this world for good? Or would you rather have the satisfaction knowing that they're in a place where they won't be able to reach you, but still alive?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it's always worth it to try and rehabilitate the person. I'm a determinism, so I don't think there's intrinsically such a thing as 'good' or 'bad' people, we're all a product of our biology and our experiences. Therefore punishment for punishment's sake makes no sense because hurt people hurt people. The point of a life sentence should be for everyone to be kept safe, and for the criminal to improve themselves. They've lost their freedom, that's enough of a punishment for anyone, but it shouldn't be for punishment's sake, only for the safety of society. Once imprisoned the criminal should be safe and treated with dignity, despite whatever they've done, because as a society we are more humane than to torture anyone. They could be able to improve themselves; gain education, work (remember, prisoners in the US for example are a big part of the labour force), receive counselling; be able to live their lives without being a danger to others.

Yes, you could argue that losing your freedom might be worse than a death sentence. But the death sentence must never be allowed for the simple reason that there's the possibility of a miscarriage of justice. You can't risk killing the wrong person; there's no coming back from that.
    Even if the death were painless, making somebody kill somebody else is inhumane to the executioner; imagine the effect killing a person would have on them. Causing harm to others is bad for people's mental health, and bad for society in general because it normalises the idea that harming people can be justified. If there is an alternative that causes less harm, we should take it.

• I couldn't agree more. Usually I'm the one writing these kind of comments, it's great to see somebody else already did the job for me :-). It's a shame Americans are so big on punishment and so many Americans (especially conservatives) get a total hard-on over revenge and punishment and that kinda stuff. Like it's gonna help anyone if you lock prisoners into their cells 23 hours a day with only a bed and a toilet and you treat them like shit...

Most Helpful Guy

• The life sentence is a silly thing that must exist until we can prove without shadow of a doubt that a man has committed a wrong.

The death sentence is a silly thing that must exist until we can prove without shadow of a doubt that a man cannot escape our prisons.

0/2500

Send It!

What Girls Said 10

• I disapprove of execution. I would go for life sentence.

• i knew you'd say that when i seen u left an opinion in here on the front page

=P

• @BlueCoyote Yeah, calling it my leftist commie bullshit was more of an inside joke about what one of my friends in real life likes to call it. I get what you mean though :P

• I see. Be proud of it then, being a lefty is a great thing :-).

• Life sentence because I'm not in favor of death penalty. You shouldn't kill someone no matter how awful they are. I don't believe anybody has the right to take someone's life away. I believe in God, so another person may have a total different view of what I'm going to say. If a person is a person is cruel and is a big threat to the world, it's between them and God, others shouldn't interfere. Defense against that criminal seems okay, punishment in hope that criminal will change sounds logical, but in the end you can't do anything more than that because it's between them and God. When that dangerous person eventually dies he/she will be punished by God (everyone has different beliefs but that's what I believe).

• It depends if he crazy than they should just kill him.

• I'd rather not live in a world where saving our own skin came at the detriment of our own morality and mercy. I mean I personally find no good reason to end a life if you could just hold them in prison, plus how do you know the prisoners won't redeem themselves in the future? Mistakes happen, but that doesn’t give us the right to take a life. Doing so makes us no better than murderers, and two wrongs don’t ever make it right. Unpopular opinion but I just feel like it's not our right to be arbiters over someone's life, it's like we're playing God.

• personally i think they're both the same. life sentence someone is rotting in prison for the rest of their life, forever suffering for what they've done. also, death isn't the end, there will be a much higher power they have to answer to, the universe and karma is real! :)

• I think prison is good enough. I don't approve of the death penalty because it's so final. I don't even approve of euthanize get cats because they could still have a decent life. Same with criminals, they're still sentient beings who deserve the basic human rights like food and water and stuff, just keep them contained.

• Life sentence, I don't mind peopld getting killed but it's insanely expensive. If it was cheaper, death sentence.

• Death penalty all the way. They never change and if they ever get out of jail they will go and commit the same crime or worse again.

• I'd rather them get all the help they need in order to become a functioning member of our society.

The whole concept of keeping people locked up is just insane. It doesn't fix the problem.
    Just as insane is the concept of death penalty for different reasons.

• functioning members*

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 8

• Life sentence because there is always the chance that someone could be falsely accused of something - which would mean that their death at the hands of the law would be a waste.

• the person that got hurt should kill the person

if a girl got raped she should kill her rapist
    one you get rid of the person and the possibility of them raping again
    and she gets closure cause she gets to do it

cause with out closure people go crazy

• death immediately after the verdict.. that'll make a lot of people think twice before committing senseless crimes.

• Criminals don't commit crimes because the laws are too lax. 99.999% of criminals (whether they're murderers or petty shop lifters) don't think about the consequences of their actions. If it was that way, countries who love revenge and punishment (in a judicial sense) such as the US would have very low crime rates while countries with very lax laws such as Norway (and most of western Europe) would have very high crime rates. The reality however is the exact opposite: the US has higher crime rates than almost all other developed countries.
      The reason for this is that crimes are not committed by people who "don't think enough", they're committed by people who:
      1) Don't think they'll get caught (this is mostly true for white-collar crimes such as bankers illegally manipulating markets)
      2) Were brought to this point in their life due to social factors

Thus, the two solutions to fight crime are to create trustworthy institutions (police, justice system) that will always make sure criminals

• @BlueCoyote revoked. not suspended.

• @BlueCoyote ok you are right

• a death sentence is when you are proven guilty and the punishment is the government killing you. a life sentence is when the punishment they give you (usually jail) lasts your whole life until you die.

• I'm in favour of death sentences.

• I'm in favor of the death penalty for serious crimes.

• I think that they should go back to the hanging, it's quick, painless and more humane.

• Oh, life sentence for SURE. I'm glad we don't have death sentences where we are. *shudder* I'm personally of the belief that no human should have the right to take the life of another person under any circumstance. Containing threats is good, but here's the thing – if you suddenly find evidence that the one you arrested was innocent and someone else was the true criminal, you can't reverse a death sentence. Once they're gone, they're gone FOREVER.