Adding coworkers on Facebook?

If someone new starts at your job and they send you a friend request on Facebook - without having asked you for it and without them knowing your last name via you telling them, would you find it weird if they sent you a friend request?

especially if your friends list was private so it's not listed if you have mutual friends or not.

tell meeeeeeee bye

• Yes, weird.
  • No, not weird.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd find it weird and ignore it regardless... thats one good way to get fired.

• Nah lmfao sorry I don't work for people who have sticks up their asses.

• This rivalry XD

• @redeyemindtricks she'll be alright...

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends a lot on how you behave on social media. If you portray yourself in a fairly professional light, and never post anything that you wouldn't be okay with current or potential employers seeing, then go right ahead. But if you show your wilder side on social media and you don't feel comfortable letting everyone in your life see that, then you should keep it separate.

What Guys Said 16

• I'm friends with like 400 people I've never met. Adding someone I actually have met to my friends list isn't a big deal to me. Though, I might put them in a certain category so they can't see the controversial things I sometimes post to the internet, in general..

• i dont think its weird at all , i do face book games and i have 123 people ob my friends list i have no clue who they are they just play the games like i do.

but i do see where your coming from because if you dont do that many games and dont have many people you play with its odd they would want you as a friend on there if you have never met them or even know them.

• I'd be a little curious under those circumstances. But then again, I usually am not that hidden.

• I've added people from work before and have had people add me it's no big deal it's kind of what facebook was designed for, meeting new people, making friends or connecting/reconnecting with old ones.

• Friends at work yeah

• I mean we've talked like a handful of times at most, and 95% of that was work related.

• Dont you work at a pet shop now? I dont see the need for new friends you hardly know.

• It depends entirely on the situation.. Are they my friend out of work? if yes then i add, if no then no.

• Nah it's not weird, that's using Facebook for exactly what it was designed for.

• I keep a firewall between work and personal life. I wouldn't do it.

• Its not like people get to know that much private information about you on fb lol so not weird.

• nope its not weird

• Depends on the job it is and the environment and how close everyone is to each other.

• No, I don't have work friends on my fb.

• Yea its weird.

• That is literally the only reason I have Facebook.

• Keep work life and private life spirit

What Girls Said 10

• I think it's weird to add someone on fb if you don't fit into at least one of two conditions:
    A) they're a family member that you actually know
    B) you've both mutually agreed to add one another.

Any other situation and it's weird.

• Highly doubt that if you start a new job people wouldn't know your last name. LinkedIn, company emails, company directory, all of that will have your info.

• Not at my job.

• Ahh okay, then kinda weird I guess.. but I'm pretty chill with a lot of my coworkers and we all are connected on social media

• I wouldn't!

• That's a bit odd, especially since it seems they specifically searched for you then.

• Basically, but that's 50% of how you find people - searching their name. I've done it drunk at parties before.

• True, I'm generally one of those people who don't think to look people up and just add them if they come across my suggested friends😅

• This has happened to me and I didn't mind at all haha.

• I wouldn't trust it!. I would not want my coworkers involved in my person life unless we became REEEAAAL good friends :). Then again lucky me I have no social medias XD.

• I've had coworkers add me. I prefer not to add coworkers.

• they say your last name on the monitor where we clocked in so i got some friend requests from my coworkers, it wasn't weird. i was glad i could talk to them outside of work, made some more friends.

• It's a bit weird. But I would assume he or she asked around for my last name.

• I would not care but I would not accept it