Why some people here, take it for granted everyone here is an American?

Most Helpful Girl

• GAG was founded in St. Louis, Missouri, USA... so has many features of an American company and a majority of American users. Especially the. com website.

But it was founded by a Turkish American. Which gives GAG it's delightful, but unexpected international slant.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GirlsAskGuys

• Actually we have many Turkish people here as well, but they have a very bad reputation.

• It seems a few bad apples ruin the reputation of the bunch. I've been here for many years and there every demographic seems to have wonderful and disgusting users - and every increment in between.

Most Helpful Guy

• I know right?

What Girls Said 1

• i assume people who are on the same time as me are not American... since the americans are asleep... the few that aren't asleep are insomniacs

• Isn't it morning in America now? Like 11-12 AM?

• i mean when it's morning for me, 7-2:00 is when it's nighttime for americans. right now, they start emerging lmaooo

• Lol Nah it's noon, I wish I could also in through work

What Guys Said 5

• Who knows, I don't really think much of wherever people are from. As long as they aren't blatant pricks.

• Wait, they have internet outside of America?

• What? Since internet became available to the general public (circa mid-90s) it was available in most first world countries. Maybe internet connection existed in third world countries as well, but I believe it was a privilege among a handful of people.

• Al Gore didn't invent it?

• The internet protocols (TCP/IP) happened following initiatives takes by the US Government.
      This brought us Email POP3 & IMAP SMTP
      FTP , SSH etc.
      IRC, NTP, Gopher

The world-wide-web was invented by a British guy (while working at Cern) This brought us HTTP and websites. His work was inspired by the idea of hypertext. Hypertext as a concept had been bouncing around for a while.

www.quora.com/What-country-invented-the-Internet

But perhaps he was based in the US. It's hard to tell who's the actual father of the internet.

• 2/3 of all native English speakers live in the United States, and. com domains while technically considered generic TLDs in practice are domains for the United States. Websites for the United States generally do not use the. us country specific TLD.

• Probably because most of the users here are indeed American.

• I am not, I'm Canadian and it's next to worse.