Do you know how to change a tire?

I do not yet and have asked my brother to teach me sometime. I think that it's important to know.

Most Helpful Guy

• No one ever showed me, but when I worked at this corner store, I would bus to work, but there was no bus to get me home, so i worked to close on the condition that they'd drive me home.
    One night, pulling out of the store parking lot, a tire went. So we limped up the road at about 5 mph to the gas station at the next intersection, pulled in, and looked at it. They were all freaked out, no idea what to do.
    Well, their car had a donut temporary replacement tire, a jack, and a tire iron.
    So I found a place to set the jack, jacked the car, took off the damaged tire, and put on the donut.
    Took 10 minutes, and half of that was just finding the right place to put the jack.

As long as you have the tools to change a tire, you don't really ever need to be shown how. It is fairly straight forward. If you do have the tools and you want to learn it, though, rather than being stuck in a position like mine where it has to happen and you're going by guesswork?
    Practice on a parked car (that you're allowed to practice on lol). The hardest part, other than setting the jack, might be loosening the bolts on the tire.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes and it's not too hard. It is important to know and it's also important to have some roadside assistance service if you can't get it off. Had to change my tire and we couldn't get the damn thing off even AAA had a hard time. It was like stuck on my car 😨

But typically it's not too hard it's just messy.

What Guys Said 29

• Used to have to do it often. But tires have gotten better, including being self sealing to a point. And they are less likely to fail in things like blow outs. So luckilly I have not had to do it often recently.

But everyone should know how to do it. Some people do not even know what is required and fail to makes sure they have all that is needed to do it. (Like the lug nut wrench).

• If you're going to change your own tire, I strongly recommend your go to an auto parts store and buy a good spider lug wrench. It's in the shape of a plus sign and it 's big enough to give you the leverage you need to loosen and tighten the lug nuts that hold the wheel on the hub.

Can you see the lug nuts normally or are they behind a wheel cover?

• I've changed a lot of tires. Whenever you have to do it it's always like "Uggh!" But I think it's great for girls to learn how. Tell your brother you'd really appreciate it if he taught you. And I bet there are lots of YouTube videos on how to do it. Always make sure the car is in Park and the emergency brake is set! And always be safe about the car being up on the jack. After you've jacked up the car, and you're down on the ground changing the tire, always make sure your body is out of the way so that if the car came off the jack and fell down you wouldn't be hurt. But your brother will know all those things and can show you. Once you learn how you can do a myTake and tell us all how it went! :)

• Yes I do my dad made me change winter and summer tires a bunch of times :( It's not complicated it's still some work though. I had to crry 4 tires from the basement crank the car up on one side loosen all the bolts put them to the side nicely take the tire off. Put the new one in the right place (could be a pain sometimes) and screw the bolts back in and make them really tight. Then put the other 4 tires in their stupid bags and carry them down into the basement and stack them. It could take me like 2 hours or even a bit more to do everything by myself. I was not very motivated though when it was snowing and freezing and he came in an said:" Hey luke can you change the tires real quick?" I was like GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

• It's a good life skill to know, there won't always be someone to do it for you at each flat tire event, so learn it. :)

• Yeah it's really not that hard, I've done it so many times on every car I ever had within 10 minutes and I'm back on the road, probably because I make sure with every car I have that I have a fully inflated spare, a working jack and the right lug wrench

• Yup it was one of the first things I learned in addition to checking/changing the oil and antifreeze.

It's not a difficult process and is pretty straightforward.

• Yes! Every driver should know how to! I hate seeing these guys that try so hard to look manly but don't even know how to change a tire, ugh! Sorry, my friends and I had a serious conversation about guys these days and this tire changing subject came up. Smh

• Yes, I changed one last week. Bad valve on the tire.

• Yes ma'am

• Yep. I've definitely had to change a few in my lifetime.

• Yeah, had to do it recently when we changed our winter tires back to summer tires.

• You can bet I do know it. :D I've done it many times on different cars. :-P

• i don´t think you need to be tought that xD it´s so basic, everybody should be able to figure it out by just looking at the stuff.

• Yes, it's actually a really good thing to know, especially if you drive often. Those companies that do it for you would overcharge like crazy.

If you have a spare tire it's actually not hard. Kinda messy and requires effort but not hard.

• Yesh I know how to change one. It is important to know.

• yes.

• Isn't this the kind of shit your dad teaches you at 10 ?

• Who doesn't? Everyone should know how.

• I haven't had to do it before, but it's not rocket science. I could probably figure it out.

• yes, I hate it but I do

• Well duhhhh it's not a rocket science

• Yeah, it's simple to learn, you'll be surprised how easy it is after you learn.

• Yeah my dad taught me when I got my first car.

• yeah

• Nope.

• Honestly... yes I know but it's not simple. Your car has to be on a 100% flat and hard surface which is hard to find.
    Usually I have it done. I have a contract for support when I have a breakdown and I call them. Otherwise I pay for nothing :o

• I do.

• Yeah, I sure do. And it sure is.

What Girls Said 16

• No but it might take me a bit to figure it out. Even if I have never done it before chances of me figuring it out off the top of my head has a good chance. :D

• Yes, but I lack the strength to take off the nuts. Well, at least I did the last time I tried.

• I have no idea how to do it, I'm totally screwed if I ever find myself in a situation in which I need to do it.

• I learned how to change a tire. I kept asking everyone I knew to teach me and they were all too busy, so I read a book and taught myself. It is something that is very important to know, even if physically I can't drive anymore. :)

• Lol no idea but it can't be that hard if you have a car jack and the other stuff you need, right? :P

• Actually, there are a couple of very important steps to ensure the car does not move (not just putting on the brake) and ensure it is properly on the jack. Other wise, it may fall and hurt you.

• Nope. I shouldn't, but I don't.

• Nope.

• Yea I can change a tire on this.
    www.rbauction.com/.../...689-bda3-f99e312f4485.jpg

• +1 along with all sorts of farm equitment

• @Red_Arrow Even with the right tools it's still a hard job

• That is why I am impressed. I do not drive trucks or heavy equipment, but I do work in warehousing and know many of the drivers. And some very petite women are among them. Driving trucks means driving, AND taking care of and fixing many problems.

• Yes. My father taught me.

• That's why I got triple a lol

• Yep, done it many times for both my own vehicles an others.

I think changing your own tires is the bare minimum.

• I don't ):

• I doubt I know how to do it because I've never changed a tire before.

• Yeah it's one of the first things I learned when I started to drive

• I seen my dad doing it, so yeah i kinda know it...

• No = Proud RACV roadside assist member right here :)