Why exactly does the rest of the world pay so much attention to America?

I mean, the only people this really ought to make any sense to are the overly patriotic folks, who, as I understand, are one of the main reasons many of you hate us.

Most Helpful Girl

• Cuz America is the big fat kid on the play ground who is so insecure they need to have big fancy things and throw money at people to feel like they're in control and important. They won't let anyone ignore them cuz they get right in your face.

Most Helpful Guy

• American policy effects a lot of other counties more than you seem to realize. Even if our economy collapses, the economy around the world collapses. It is simply a more important country do to its power and influence, so naturally they will take greater notice of it. This also means that it is easier for their politicians to use America as a scapegoat for any problems in their country.

Our media also has a lot better funding, so many other countries actually end up watching the same shows, and listening to the same music that are produced in the united states. Making even our culture more relevant in other countries.

What Girls Said 6

• Because America is the bomb!

• The world pays attention to the US because it is the most powerful nation on Earth.

• I can never understand that either. So many people on gag express their hate on America, yet I see so many questions by foreigners asking about what we are like on tv.
    "Do Americans really do that on tv?"
    And we got foreigners asking about our election
    And we are expected to take in refugees from countries who hate us
    People are obsessed with us

• well it's not really the countries themselves who hate us, just the terrorists who live there.

• Because it's loud, big, and fun to pick on.

• Because America has many important things going on at the moment that effect the rest of the world

• We don't, actually.

What Guys Said 10

• Overly patriotic? I don't know that that term really has a meaning to any one other than this that aren't patriotic at all

• Simply, because America is a powerhouse. One bad move effects the rest of the globe. Not only that but being a first world country that uses capitalism instead of socialism just pisses people off.

• For the same reason they used to pay attention to Great Britain and soon will pay attention to China or India -it's the economic global leader for now.

• You're one of our best allies and a lot of your stuff comes over here. So some of what happens (politics, tv shows etc) matter to us here in the UK.

Some of it we ignore. A large amount of your comedy for example just doesn't translate.

We don't hate you. Anyone who has been in the armed forces (my dad was for example) will tell you how close we are. we might dislike your politics at times and your leaders suck as bad as our own... we don't hate you.

• I think it just looks for you Americans like that. And we are not stupid enough to hate whole nation because some of them are dumb. Also you need to know that alas, USA has powerful army, powerful economy and politics and you know, if they don't love you then make them scared of you.

• 0|0
  • Because America is looked at as to be the forward moving and stable Land of Oppertunity. We are a cultural center, mixing different cultures together.

• Because what America does or what happens in/to america affects the rest of the world.

• Because America keeps dragging the rest of us into wars they can't win.

• America is the big boned kid in class who's parent, and in time likely he, will employ at least one of your family members. It isn't that people are looking up to the U. S but rather that they have a big say in things.

If my country chooses a new head of state the impact on the U. S is negligible at most. Your upcoming choice will have significant effect on many dealings. Size and influence.

Also on a last note: U. S messes things up so often that making fun of it has replace the "How's the weather?" small talk.

• Our head of state and head of government are the same person, both are the president

• No, thats correct
      The queen of england for example is the head of state of the U. K and the Commonwealth and as a head of state does, holds no real power and cannot make policy decisions.
      however the head of government for the U. K is David Cameron and he Does make policy decisions.
      Its not ignorant, that correct, now you are obviously so cowardly that you need to hide behind a second layer of anonimity that the anon option provides when you attack my country. so yes, I called you out on your bullshit

• @Waffles731 Mate it being the case in one other country does not make it the case in all. And more importantly I never disagreed about it being the case in the U. S.
      Furthermore the fact that you're resorting to trying to invalidate someone else due to their anonymity is a chickenshit move.

Are you seriously this butthurt about me telling you that your "correction" was uncalled for since I didn't have it wrong to begin with? I don't want to make any personal attacks but what the hell mate, I even added little lighthearted comments for you and you're still acting up like a cranky six year old over being told "Thanks, but that was probably not needed.".
      I also never attacked your country Mr drama queen. Get real. I answered a question from my perspective.

You're not making sense, you're not being rational and even though I was polite through and through you're being an ass about it. Take a breather and come back when you can be civil about things, or better yet, don't come back.