What kind of dog should we get?

My boyfriend and I are considering getting a puppy in a year or two after we buy a new house together that has more space and room to build a secure dog run. We want to plan ahead and make sure we get just the right dog for us!

A few things of note:
- We both work full time, standard hours, meaning that Monday-Friday the dog will be left alone either in a penned in area of the house or in the dog run on nice days for 9-10 hours.
- We intend to pay for doggy daycare / training while we are at work for the first 1-3 months.
- His mom and sister are both allergic to dogs and neither of us like having a house and clothes covered in fur, so we'd like something hypoallergenic or at least with minimal shedding.
- We live in a climate that gets hot in the summer (+30 Celsius) and sometimes very cold in the winter (-30).
- We're both healthy and active and we tend to go on a lot of walks together already. It's only the super cold days it'll be an issue.
- We have no children or plans to have children. Very few of our friends/family have children and very rarely are there children in our home.
- We don't want a yappy annoying little shit, but we do want something small or on the small side of medium.
- We love to go camping and hiking in the summer and would love a dog that will enjoy those activities. Other dogs that might be around on some camping trips include a golden doodle, a golden retriever and a newfoundland dog.

Most Helpful Guy

• What size do you prefer? (You said something small... how small? Medium or like cat-sized small?)
    Do you rather want a family dog or a protector?
    How much activity do you have in mind aka how much endurance is the dog supposed to have (just walks, bike trips, hiking, etc)?
    Do you want the dog to be completely anti-allergic with fur or rather just barely losing fur but still possibly causing alelrgic reactions is fine as well?
    How much training do you want to invest into the dog?
    Do you have prior experience with dogs?

• I'd prefer a smallish medium dog. Like corgi size or a bit smaller. Not much bigger.

Activity wise, most days it'll be a 30 to 60 minute walk around the neighborhood on leash, and/or tossing a ball around in the yard, at the park or around the house. If it's not able to keep up or endure on log hikes, that's ok, but I'd want to take it camping with us.

Not too picky about it being 100% hypoallergenic but we don't want something that will make or house unbearable for his mom or sister.

We want to pay for basic training the first few months and then intend to be consistent in rules and boundaries butdon't plan to spend hours and hours training it to do tricks or whatever. Our priority is house training.

• I know a few people with labradoodles and golden doodles and I'm not a fan. I think they're weird looking and I'm kind of sick of seeing them everywhere lol

Was reading up on border terriers this morning and that looks like a great breed.

• Most Terriers are pretty good breeds. Active, smart, family-friendly.

Still my favourite will always be Schnauzers. How can you not love them?

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...1a49a4d187.jpg

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say a beagle, dachshund, or a corgi (either Pembroke or Cardigan Welsh) would be good fits for you. 9-10 is a long time to leave a puppy alone, but it's not unmanageable. They have small bladders and a fast metabolism so do keep that in mind. Maybe for the first few months try and make arrangements to go home at lunch to just take your dog out for a minute so they can pee and poo.

All dogs shed to some degree, especially in the spring and fall. Make sure you get a good slicker brush and have a good quality vacuum that can withstand frequent usage (if you have carpets or rugs). Do not allow the dog on the couch, the bed, or any other upholstered furniture except their own doggie bed. That will reduce the amount of fur that collects on the furniture.

About children - it's really important to socialize the puppy with children and other dogs during the first year or two of life. You may not have your own children or many children in your family, but you will encounter children in the neighbourhood or in parks. Many kids love dogs and will want to meet yours when you're out. While it is the parent's responsibility to teach the child not to pet strange dogs without asking the owner first (don't be afraid to say no if your dog isn't exactly friendly), you want the dog to be used to the unpredictable behaviour of kids. Dogs are easily excited and can also be scared by loud, rowdy behaviour or kids who just reach out to touch the dog, and that can result in scratches or bites if the dog hasn't been around kids often enough. As a dog owner, you are responsible for everything your dog does, good and bad. You don't want to get sued if something happens, like a child getting bitten.

That's all I can think of for now. I've owned lots of dogs in my lifetime and have been training and teaching dogs since childhood. I'm not an expert, just a lifelong dog lover and owner. If you have more questions don't hesitate to message me.

What Guys Said 8

• Lab or golden retriever. Problem is both breeds have a high hip dysplasia tendency, like most breeds nowadays.

• I love golden retrievers but they shed way too much and are too high energy / needy. I lived with a golden retriever off and on for several years (my brother has one and we lived together a few times over the years). I adore her and love playing and cuddling g with her, but she's too much for me on a daily basis and trying to keep the place clean was a nightmare!

• A bernese? Haha no. Those things are freaking massive! And super shaggy! I adore those guys, they're so sweet and so gorgeous, but do not fit the bill at all for what we are looking for.

Not sure where you're getting that we want conflicting personality traits. We know we will likely have to compromise on something, but I wanted to give a thorough description of our lifestyle and what we need from a dog to fit into it. Biggest thing is we don't want a large dog and we need one that can be well trained and left on its own during the day.

• Well when i say conflicting i mean that on one hand you want one that is a lap dog on the other one that likes to be outdoors... suppose i misunderstood. I have had german shepherds, labs and dalmatians my entire life.
      Perhaps one of these...
      Austrailian Shepherd
      ghk.h-cdn.co/.../...ry-gettyimages-122137874-1.jpg
      English Springer Spaniel
      Gentle, easygoing, and very affectionate, this breed is a top choice for a child's pet. They're playful and love to engage in rough and tumble games. Springer Spaniels even get along well with other dogs.

Or a Vizsla (hungarian pointer)
      ghk.h-cdn.co/assets/16/15/980x697/vizsla.jpg

I would say belgian mallenois... but they would be a pain in the ass :P super loveable tho

• I like German Shepard's

• buy the house first.

• We are buying the house first. We want to do our homework well before getting a dog... which I mentioned in my post.

• +30 is hot? Try egypt 😂

Anyway maybe golden retriever or beagel

• A newfoundland or great pyranese would suit your needs

• A cat.

• Get a real dog.. like a Shepherd or Dobie. I'm really trying to get one when I move out in the fall.

• get a cat.

What Girls Said 10

• My boyfriend has 2 cockapoos, they go everywhere with him basically wherever he can take them, i. e. camping, to work (luckily) and they're super friendly. They do tend to bark but I think it comes down to training. I know they don't shed

• I have dogs that both shed so unfortunately I'm no help in that sense haha.

• Id say a Cavachon-mix of a cavalier king charles and a bichon frise
    Or a Cavapoo- mix of cavalier kind charles and a poodle.
    Cavaliers are super smart little dogs that are super cute and the other dog mixed with them make them hypoallergenic.

• I will always suggest going to a shelter first, not only is it cheaper than from a breeder but you are saving a life. All types of dogs go to shelters or foster homes so even if you're set on getting a purebred, you are more than likely to find one to adopt. I also suggest getting a dog thats at least one year old and is already socialized and has some training if you're not going to be home much as it will make your life much much easier. Also when a dog is older you know they're personality right when you meet them but with puppies it can be very unpredictable. If you still want a puppy, there are many up for adoption too, they would need sufficient time with you if you want them to grow into a friendly and calm dog. Check out websites like petfinder if you can't find one you love at a local shelter. I'm sure you'll find a wonderful puppy !

• Also there really is no such thing as "hypoallergenic" dogs. I am allergic to dogs and some dogs make me break out in hives while others give me no reaction at all and it's not because of their breed as I've always had mixed breeds. My mom is allergic to dogs too and some the dogs I have been allergic too she hasn't and vice versa. I believe it's individualistic.

• Corgi! They are so damn cute! ^^
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acB0aHBCJR8

That or a dog like the 2 puppies I have. They are Australian Shepard/pitbull mix, they look like of like this. I have to say that kind is extremely sweet and goofy. :D
    i.ytimg.com/vi/zrfm7C7ghmw/maxresdefault.jpg

• Cardigan Welsh Corgi and Swedish Vallhund are both high on my list!

• @redeyemindtricks: Medium size is generally about 40-70 lbs, but you can't go by weight alone. There are a lot of lean dogs who are huge in size, like greyhounds for example (or any other sight hound). They are considered large dogs.

• @Sara413: I live in Ontario and I think it's the only province with that restriction.

• Bichon Frise?

I have a miniature Bichon Poodle. He's a smart an spunky kid. He's also hypoallergenic. Does well alone at home but also likes going outside and playing. Not yippy or shaky and gets along well with people (even though he tends to be a little scared of new dudes).

• Great suggestion! Unfortunately, dogtime. com says they tend to get bad separation anxiety. We need a little buddy who can be left alone for several hours a day.

• It is devastating how many people do that. It's so irresponsible and the poor dog ends up paying the price for it. People pick their dog based on "OMG THIS PUPPY IS SOOOOO CUUUUUUTE!!!" not considering its needs or how big it's gonna get or whether it will fit in with their home life.

The worst are people who get a dog as "training" for kids and then give it up after they have a baby.

• Yes the shelter I work with is no kill, we don't have puppies because puppies get adopted at the city shelters. What we get is 6 month old pitbulls. Sometimes we'll have a dog get adopted and then low and behold they get returned a few months later with severe problems like anxiety because they did not take good care of it. It's awful! Same can be said for cats and kittens. That's why I think it's awesome there is responsible pet parents out there like you! 😊

• A RESCUE DOG!!!

• Barking can be trained. I used to have a Pomeranian who are famouse for their barking. I trained her to only bark if someone is at the door and to be quiet once I let the person in the house.

As for breeds, shi poo, cocka poo, min poodle, Yorkshire terriers are on the small side but they don't shed, other terriers are also good but. not sure if they are hypo allergenic. I'm personally a fan of chihuahuas because they think they are forever puppies but they shed like crazy.

• go to a breeder and get a dog with papers they are less likely to have health problems, and you also avoid puppy mill places

• The healthiest animals I have had were mixed breeds.

• Proven to be more common in purebreeds : Aortic stenosis
      Dilated cardiomyopathy
      Elbow dysplasia
      IVDD
      Hypoadrenocorticism
      Atopy / allergic dermatitis
      Bloat
      Cataracts
      Epilepsy (total)
      Portosystemic shunt

• Let's see I have a Husky and one of my sisters has an Australian Cattle Dog. Both are active, likes the outdoors, and are nice dogs.

• OMG I looove both those breeds!!! But we don't want to get a large dog.

A guy in my old apartment building had an Australian cattle dog and the was gorgeous!! I used to take him for walks and feed him when buddy was out of town for work.

Huskies are one of my favourite breeds. They're so beautiful! I would love to have one some day, but I would rather get one later in life when we no longer live in the city and have a property with lots of wide open space for it to roam :)

• Get a dalmatian, they're so cute.