I smoke pot at 17, is this a really bad thing? Just want to know people's opinion on the subject?

It's not become a problem at all, it's actually had no effect in any way, but I just wanted to people's opinion on the entire thing.

My personal story is that before I used to do it like once a month or so, and now it's more like once a week. My sister (Though a bad influence I guess haha) has a card because of her condition (Not really a big deal but got a card anyway) does it with me every time. The first time I tried it was in 6th grade but only started regularly in the last year or two.

I try not to do it that much so I don't build too much of a tolerance because I do like having the option to be completely disconnected from the world, if that makes sense.

Share your opinions!

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not fan of drugs because they kill your brain cells, but each to their own. Just respect the laws and respect how your actions under the influence may put others in danger (like driving) or ya know, lead you to make stupid decisions, and you need to take responsibility for your choices.

• Yea we never do crazy shit. I'd never feel comfortable driving under the influence and I'm completely aware of that while I am in my own world.
      I'm not saying you're wrong, but when you say it kills brain cells, haven't there been studies showing that's not true? Please don't make me sound aggressive haha

• Alright, your point was pretty shitty, but cool

• My point is - do what you want, but you have to take responsibility for it. Strangers can't tell you what to do about it. You''ll get people against drugs and people who don't mind, but it doesn't matter what we think because drug use affects your life, not ours.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's certainly not the best choice you can make. Staying away from drugs, alcohol and smoking is always a better choice.

Here's the thing. Just because it's not currently a problem doesn't mean it never will be. For one thing, one problem with weed is that it tends to mask what it's doing to you. Another thing is that it's tossing the dice. It might not seem like it's negatively affecting other people you know. But that doesn't mean anything.

Think about it this way. Most people who drive drunk don't get in a wreck. Does that mean drinking and driving is safe? Of course not. They are taking a big risk.

You are putting yourself at risk. You are risking your memory. You are risking your ability to think clearly. You are risking your sanity. You are risking your focus and direction in life. You are risking becoming apathetic and delaying your life.

I was in my early adult life in the 70s when pot use was very heavy. The vast majority of people smoked pot. The vast majority also quit smoking. Why? Why did so many people quit? It's because they saw what it was doing to them. It took some longer than others, but most quit. Some didn't quit. Some seemed to do pretty well in life. Some were complete failures and never got their shit together. Some didn't even live through it.

That doesn't mean terrible things will happen. It just means you are putting a lot at risk. It's your life. Life doesn't need drugs. Life is a great thing in itself. Live it and enjoy it. Being clean is a great high. I've experienced both and being straight is so much better. It's sparkling clean compared to the fog of drugs.

You know. I started losing my memory at a young age, like my late 40s. Many of my friends started losing their memory in their late 40s and early 50s. That didn't happen to any of our parents. It didn't happen to them until they were in their 80s+. Why is such a large number of my generation losing their memory at such a young age? I can't prove it, but I think it's the weed.

What Girls Said 10

• If it doesn't affect you then I don't see the problem - although it has a negative effect on the development of the brain, but so has alcohol and most young people are users of that anyway.

• I mean I don't drink, I don't like it, but do you think it still has a big effect if I only do it like once a week?

• Yes I do think it has an effect even if it's just once a week, cigarettes have an effect even if you're just a party smoker so I think same goes for weed. How bad it really is if you compare it to all the processed food, alcohol and sugary drinks we consume daily I don't know tough. We fill our bodies with shit anyways, at least weed is natural.

• Yea I get your reasoning, that totally makes sense. It's affecting your dopamine levels, who says it can't affect something else.

• It's a waste of time and it kills your brain cells. I know so many people who smoke it.

• i smoked it once when i was 16 but i'll never do it again. the guy who sold it to me was the same age as me and now he's in jail so you have to realize that although drugs give you an escape, they're bound to get you in trouble. find a different hobby that benefits you like sports or art

• I don't buy anything, my sister has everything she needs since it's not illegal for her. If I didn't have that "Connection" I would have never tried it to be honest. I'd be too lazy to keep wasting my money haha

• i think pot is the least dangerous drug but it's still a drug.. i personally hate anything that makes me lose control of myself which is why i'm pretty anti-drugs but if you like it and won't get in trouble then eh.. whatever lmao

• Smoking pot stunts your emotional growth. You never feel the pain of living. In fact pot stunts the feeling of emotional pain which is why you smoke pot. It's a dead end. You stop smoking pot when you 21 and you still 15

• Lol, in my country people start smoking it at ages like 12/13/14/15 etc, as long as you feel like you could go qithout it etc, you'll be fine.

• OMG I feel kind of bad I've smoked weed since I was 13 Lol it's not a regular thing now but I used to do it a lot in high school. I think it's pretty normal if it's once in a while and you don't need it to function.

• Damn haha, but if you felt like it was a problem and stopped that's a good thing, nothing should ever become a dependency system.

• Lol yeah I hardly ever get high now but I think it was so fun because when I was younger because I knew I could get in trouble and it was fun breaking the rules (I was such a handful as a teen!)

• Yes its bad its just like smoking cigarettes its not health hun and you will die from it

• I smoke some weed, but soo much is bad for you

• You're just going to start doing it more and more. And could start to depend on it for whatever.

• yes. it is scientifically proven that smoking marijuana effects your memory as you get older, so even if you think it's not causing you problems.. it actually is and those who say it is a 'safe' drug is also wrong

• I know legit like 3 residential doctors that have been smoking since their teens though, doesn't that invalidate your thing kind of? Or are you saying like super long term, like 50 60s age?

• yeah i mean long term
      your memory will decline

• and trust me i know what i'm talking about. i did a major research paper on marijuana and memory deficit because i am studying psychology, so i know my stuff

What Guys Said 6

• I don't agree with drug use but I can't complain to much since I smoke cigars and pipe tobacco so I guess do you but just don't let it become a problem which is can easily become one and can also lead you on a path to doing more harmful drugs, I've seen it happen to many times then I'd like to remember.

Be careful.

• Look up what the medical literature has to say about marihuana psychosis.
    Eventually, marihuana users go bipolar.

• But I know so many from before who have been doing it for years, a few of them have become doctors in fact.

• Look in psychiatry journals, if you can access them.

• Definitely a bad thing. You could fail a drug test at a job and that's it. Also, it causes immune issues if you use it regularly along with a host of other issues.

• Didn't we all?

• lol nobody cares

• Good by intelligence. I know way to many people who are stupid because of smoking pot. If you want to tune out use a set of good headphones and a rocking mix tape.

• Does it change your view a bit if I say that some people I know who have smoked for years have become doctors?

• A bit but honestly when you talk to a person smoking it their just as dumb as a post. When their not smoking it they stink like it and they can be quite intellectual. However they are never really creative.

• I guess you're kinda right about the first thing, but for the creativity thing I don't think so. I mean some people take it to get creative ideas, but some are creative nonetheless