Do you think models are narcissistic?

I'm talking about any kind of model, not necessarily the professional ones like VS, but also Instagram models, or those who are starting.

So do you think models, and those who aspire to become models, are narcissistic?

• Yes, all
  • Most of them
  • 50%
  • Just a few
  • None of them

Most Helpful Girl

• A few? For sure - but really, being minimised to your looks and your looks alone and facing more rejection because of your looks than in any other profession can have the exact opposite effect of narcissism more often than not.
    I've met people that dropped out of it after like half a year because they just couldn't handle the amount of criticism and shit you get at some castings - it takes a lot of confidence and support from your friends and family to get through this, especially in the beginning.

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd guess 50/50.

Realistically I dont believe the stereotypes that models are all these bitchy airheads but I doubt they are anything spectacular either. Id bet most are average in every category other than their looks. So they won't be the nicest or the bitchiest, the smartest or the dumbest.

The thing that turns me off the most about models is the nature of their job not the stereotypes about their personality. I dont like the idea of dating a girl who takes her clothes off for money and poses for sexually suggestive photoshoots. It just kinda cheapens their beauty, to see her in lingerie or naked in my room but know that 100s of men just paid money to take hd pictures of her like that. Also it would probably be disappointing after a while to see how sexy she looks in her photoshoots and know shell never look that hot for me. Because when she poses for them she has her hair and makeup done professionally, custom wardrobes, oiled up, perfect lighting, cool scenery, sometimes naked on exotic beaches.

Seeing the normal version of her in my room will never compare to the super sexy characters she dresses up as for the photographers. To know that the sexiest best looking version of my girlfriend is for the men who pay her money would just kill my attraction over time. I definitely wouldn't turn down the opportunity to have a fling with a model tho.

What Girls Said 24

• Not necessarily. Some are, many are not. A lot of model in the fashion industry are constantly pressured to get slimmer and slimmer by their agency, even if they're already skinny af they're told to go down an inch or two in waist size or they're not good enough. A lot of models leave the industry due to extreme insecurity despite how attractive some of them may be, sometimes the industry just destroys ones confidence completely. My mum worked in the fashion industry and she told me at one of the photoshoots this skinny as hell model was told by the photographer and other people her legs looked fat like cow legs and told her to go down in size next time, but the industry can be tough if you're not a celebrity.

As for Instagram its completely different, plus most pictures you see on there are heavily photoshopped, often by themselves anyhow so the pictures are not entirely how they look like in reality, in other words, they're insecure.

• I'm a model and I know some people see me as narcissistic but honestly it's just a high level of confidence. You need that in this job, otherwise you're doomed. People often confuse narcissism with confidence. Honestly some models I know are the nicest, most humble people I've ever met in my life. Are there narcissistic models? OF COURSE. But not all of us are :] We deal with a shit ton of negative stereotypes on daily basis and this is definitely one of them. All models aren't the same, our reasons for getting into this industry tend to differ.

• How many selfies of yourself do you take a day and post on instagram/facebook?

• 10 castings a day?

• You look like Kendall Jenner.

• Oh, I'm sure they're like everyone else. There will be those that looooove themselves, others that are okay with how they look, and then you'll have some that just are not fans of their bodies or looks in general.

• Usually they're really insecure because they constantly have people say you need to do lose 5+ pounds if you want to be in this shoot or you need to do this to your body to be in this show

• bullshit, narcissists come in all careers. i mean look at me, i'm a teacher and i <3 myself

• I would say more are probably stuck up than non-models.

Tyra anyone?

• i think you have to be to base your entire career on your looks and maintaining those looks... i think you have to be into yourself a bit to even want to showcase yourself like that.

• I guess some are but most of them probably have to work on their self-esteem. Mainly the ones that struggle constantly at becoming a really famous model.

• I know a couple of models, they don't seem to act or be narcissistic because their everyday job includes having that confidence especially if they're being told to act a certain way or be a certain way when taking a picture. though the guy model I know is VERY cocky so I'm not sure if cockiness falls under the category of narcissistic 😦

• I know professional models who aren't narcassitic. But I do know some instragram models who are arrogant, when they really don't look like they do in photos irl. instragram models are models who can't be professional, so they are deduced to sex objects where super models ate looked up to. But I mean when you got creepy guys stalking you on instragram or people telling your your fake and ugly. You gotta be a able to hype your own shit up.

• All! I think you've gotta be narcissistic to be a model. Not like the personality disorder known in psychiatry but just as a quality. You've gotta find the right angles/looks that are flattering so plenty of mirrortime, you face a lot of pressure to look flawless so lots of touchups, your face and body is your moneymaker so it's sacred to you and you spend a lot of attention/money on it.

• Yeah, at least 90% of them.

• I think so, most of them are.

• my cousin is sort off insta famous lol and yea... she loves herself a lot hahaha

• Maybe a few. I just think they have confidence and enjoy the kind of work they do.

• dont really no lol never paid any mind to it lol

• ya im like ok and your point is ya pretty ya whoooo good for you im board im going to go get ice cream i like looking at that more than you body lol

• maybe 50%

• Nah! lol They are people just like us.

• Not really. It's fun to play around with makeup and filters

• Well, I'm not talking about taking pictures of yourself, I'm talking about actual modeling.

• Ohh, no I don't think so. Going to amazing places, wearing beautiful clothes, meeting interesting people... i can definitely see why people want to get into modelling 😂

• Yes! Yes! And yes!! They are, I dealt with models from different kinds, different backgrounds and the pattern is the same.

• I'm a model and I don't think I'm narcissistic... lol

• I feel they need to be that way because they appear to be so confident all the time. It's beautiful.

• I spent a number of years working at a well known fashion magazine and based on my experiences there I would say it is 50/50.

• Nope, I like models. They're hot, have talent, and they work hard

What Guys Said 14

• i voted just a few. i think the vast majority may think they are pretty but really modeling is just a job and if you can get paid money to stand in various poses, traveling the world, while someone takes your picture why not do it.

• These days it seems like you're either a narcissist or a socially undeveloped loser, take your pick lol
    No many are not narcissistic, but many people will assume that regardless

• i got a good feeling "most" do become by default eventually, even if too a small degree.

• Yes, I'd say probably more than half of them.

• Story time:

Some years ago when I was in a scene club around the city I live in I ended up being about to beat up some dude for him getting into my face repeatedly. That dude was a model for said scene-websites and stores and whatnot.

Anyway. Before it escalated a dude came inbetween and told him to stop with the shit and then got to me. Turns out that dude was working in a model-agency as an organiser and manager for the models and as it is the model dude who was in my face worked under him.

Since I am a chill dude I was calmed down pretty fast and had a good conversation with him, we drank a beer together and all. Then he told me the following: "You have to know, models all have little fragile egos and need to overcompensate." He then smirked and said "But pssst, dont tell anyone." (Apparently I did now, sorry bro)

And thats what it is. Models overcompensate for their fragile egos. Lets face it, being only judged by your physical appearance is as shallow and overcompensating as it gets. Narcissim is one possibility for how that overcompensation is expressed.

• Yes. Because I seriously can't think of any other reason why somebody would want to do that job other than wanting to be in the limelight. Otherwise it seems like a really strange thing to aspire to. I fully admit there may be something that I don't understand, but I sure can't think of what it might be.

• They have to be.

• I have no idea.

• most of them, yeah they are

• Most of them are more insecure than we think. It's an incredibly competitive industry and every girl is always comparing themselves to the next.

• I think it's about 50/50.

• Yeah they have to look hot all time so fucking of course

• No, I'm not narcissistic.

• Yea probably