Do you know how to swim?

I feel weird that I am 26 and I still don't know how to swim. Any tips or suggestions that won't make me a brick in the water? Thanks

Most Helpful Guy

• Learn to float first. Just lie back in water slowly peddle your legs and arms and breathe and you'll just float. You can do that in shallow water since you lie back so your body isn't aimed down at the ground.

Most Helpful Girl

• I actually learned how to swim this year. It took determination and swimming every single day to conquer it! I first started with floating. I watched youtube videos and practiced it. Then once I achieved that, I started to learn how to swim, then freestyle. If you have the willpower, then you will be able to swim. Remember fear is what drowns you.

Best wishes

What Guys Said 6

• i do. you generally won't swim. the human body is made to be buoyant and float.

learn simple stuff first...1 how to tread water 2 the dead man's float 3 a doggy paddle swim style

• yeah.

the trick is to trap oxygen in your lungs to help keep you afloat.

• My wife taught me. I still not that good I got a mean dog paddle though.

• No but Ik how to flex when I lay on bench near public pool baha

• yep.

• Yep...

What Girls Said 15

• Yes, since I'm like 5.
    But really even if you never learned how to swim I've read somewhere that almost everyone can keep themselves floating on the water anyways, it's like a natural instinct to survive so you just start paddeling, you might not make it as long as people who've learned how to swim but in case of emergency you'll definitely survive for at least a while. :P

• I do know how to swim. Get into the shallow end of a pool, a friend's perhaps where there aren't as many people, and get used to being in the water at first. Try some basic floating and such after that.

• I can't swim either. My husband has been trying to teach me.

• Just take some lessons at a local community center. There are lots of adults that never learned to swim.

• I can swim. I am not great but I can do it

• yeah, you should learn to go with the flow and not be scared of going underwater. relaxation is the key, if u freak out then you aren't gonna last long.

• I know how to swim. And it's something that you should learn it could save your life or Someone else's. But don't feel bad I know adults that didn't know how to swim.

• the doggie paddle is supposed to come natural to most mammals but if you want to learn endurance and the variety of swim strokes, take lessons. I grew up on the ocean and had taken lessons at the local beach since I could walk but if you dont live near a beach, I'm sure anywhere there is a community pool, you could find lessons being offered.

• No i DON'T!

• Nope. I've had a few bad experiences.

• I know, it's a must in my job to know how to swim (and dive).

• Yes, I know.

• Yes I taught myself 😊

• Swimming is one of my favorite exercises, I just don't like what it does to my hair.

• Conquer your fear
    Learn to float
    Grab onto the ledge and practice kicking