Any good ideas where to start making serious money? Other than employment?

Hi everyone I'm currently studying and working part time , I'm not sure where I can start making more money than my shabby job allows me atm. I'm in Melbourne Australia , how do you invest in shares? What are some good ideas which helped you gain more financial freedom? Any ideas to help me out that would be great :) be just started budgeting and I know where every cent goes , this is making a difference when it comes to saving and making life more enjoyable but I want more and want to have the freedom to do more in life

Most Helpful Girl

• You could give blow jobs out behind dunkin donuts.

Most Helpful Guy

• To trade shares or any financial security then you will need to have a decent amount of capital to begin investing with. If you dont have enough money from the start then the returns aren't going to be significant. Also you will need to go through a broker or brokerage system like a SMSF or online trading system like Commbank does. They will charge a fee for every trade you place so again thats why you need to trade in large sums to make any money off of it.

There are many trading strategies but basicly you buy shares and sell shares on the stock market and the difference between buy and sell is your capital gain profits. You can also buy and hold and depending on the type of share or bond or whatever you will receive a dividend or coupon payment respectively every quarter or half-yearly or whatever the terms of the share or bond is. Again these are fairly small and you need to invest a lot to start seeing a significant return on your investment.

• Thanks for the detailed reply , any advice for smaller investments and bigger gains (I might be asking the impossible )

• Well for a spec share there is a possibility you could profit big on those if the company grows quickly. A spec share is issued by a small company who might grow in the future. But they are very risky and most of them dont actually grow or go bust. I wouldn't recommend them unless you were absolutely sure that the company is going to be successful. I would rather save up and invest in something else like maybe starting your own business or website or something. Thats where people make the really big money. But obviously its very challenging to start from the bottom and compete with already established companies. So yea i would save up for something worth investing in rather just gambling with your money.

• Thanks very much for you advice 👍

What Girls Said 6

• If you're in school-you can sell your notes or create study guides and sell them.

Become a member of some creative meet ups-places will pay you to give them ideas/perceptions on products.

• try this out its no scam, its free and it earned me some money as well http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/sefanja

• if I knew that I would be doing it :)

• Let me know when you find out

• Sell your stuff on selling apps

Extra cash

1 private opinion(s)
Only the asker and the opinion owner can see it. Learn more

What Guys Said 10

• I don't know either because that's a question I've asked for a long time myself. I would say though that you do need to have a decent chunk of money if you want to play the market, both to get a higher return and because it is essentially gambling, and you shouldn't gamble with more money than you can afford to lose.

I'd say start reading some business books, deal with the crummy job until you graduate, then get a better job making more money, keep reading books on business and eventually you could find your niche.

• You can try finding part-time online jobs. I use a site called "UpWork" to find tasks people need help with and get paid for it. I think it's great. You can negotiate different deals. Choose between an hourly wage or fixed price, how much you are asking for, and so on. It is like employment but has more freedom. And you can do it all at home. Convenient.

• If you want to make money, leave Australia.

Seriously. Australia is a nice place to retire, but it's one of the worst places in the world to break free from the rat race.

• Melbourne and Sydney are extremely expensive , these places are tough to survive

• Yeah , that's always seems to be the response , never gonna work , also bit of topic did you find people in other countries more down to earth and easier to get along with? I ask because I struggle to find a girl in Melbourne , I find people very difficult to talk to, also a little prentious

• They're not more down to earth, but they are easier to get along with. It's hard to describe.

• Try Bank robbery other than that you have to work for it

• Dontya think we'd all like to know that? Lol

• Deal drugs

• I would say crime, but actually that's a lot of work and it doesn't usually pay that well.

• grow weed.

buy cheap gems, make jewelry, double the price, sell it

• When we're looking at the stock market, there are basically two components to the return.
    -> the market as a whole rises and falls over time. More rises though, unless your country gets demolished in a war (i. e. germany ww2). So if you own a mix of australian and international shares, it's likely to go up over time.
    -> some people do better than average, and for every dollar invested that does better than average, some other dollar is doing worse.

So one option is to have what's called a passive or indexed portfolio. Basically you're in a pool of money with other people, and they own, literally, ever stock in proportional amounts to the value of the company. This indexed portfolio will go up and down, getting average returns, over time. With low fees.

The alternative is to try to pick shares you think will do -better- than the market. You can either pay someone (an investment company) to do this for you, or attempt to do it yourself. On average, professional investors do beat the market. However, on average, the fees they charge... are more than the amount they beat the market by. So... on average these aren't awesome.

How about doing it yourself? Remember when I said, on average, everyone has to equal the market return? Remember we said the overpriced professionals do beat the market? They can't beat the market unless someone else is -losing-. Guess who that is! That's right, it's the idiots at home who think they know what they're doing!

Now some of the idiots will get lucky, or happen to be super smart. And some of the professionals will be unlucky. Trying to beat the market is a lot like counting cards in blackjack. You try to do smart things that slightly tip the odds in your favor, but there's still a hell of a lot of luck.

It's hopefully pretty obvious at this point that the starting point for most people is low cost or indexed investments that attempt to deliver market returns. If you have a passion for investment, once you have a lot of money, you can start thinking about it. Even if you're a genius, small amount of money you pay too much in trading costs to make it worthwhile.

• Do bloody jobs