Would you be annoyed by someone who frequently quotes Shakespeare at appropriate moments?

"All the world 's a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts"

"Now is the winter of our discontent"

"Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."

"If you prick us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge?"

"Full fathom five thy father lies, of his bones are coral made. Those are pearls that were his eyes. Nothing of him that doth fade, but doth suffer a sea-change into something rich and strange."

"Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more; it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

"What a piece of work is man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals! ".

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Hell yeah, get back to the classics
    Demetrius: "Villain, what hast thou done?"
    Aaron: “That which thou canst not undo."
    Chiron: "Thou hast undone our mother."
    Aaron: "Villain, I have done thy mother."
    Titus Andronicus, Act 4, Scene 2

“Thou art a base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy worsted-stocking knave; a lily-liver’d, action-taking, whoreson, glass-gazing, superserviceable, finical rogue; one-trunk-inheriting slave; one that wouldst be a bawd in way of good service, and art nothing but the composition of a knave, beggar, coward, pandar, and the son and heir of a mongrel bitch; one whom I will beat into clamorous whining if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition.”
    Kent, King Lear; Act 2, Scene 2

Or go all out!

What Girls Said 17

• All I know is to be or not to be that is the question! lol hahha Are you taking a class or something?

• I'd think that they were probably using it to sound smart. Maybe I could respond by quoting Shakespeare's dick jokes.

• I'd think they were trying to impress me and find it quite charming.

If they did it 24/7, then yes. However, a few times a day, I could enjoy that. :]

• If they do it all day, every day, that would get annoying. If it were here and there, I wouldn't mind.

• I would find it annoying. I think sometimes it would be hard to understand other times I would just want them to talk normally.

• Depends on if they're douchey about it or not.

• I would be off-put only if they did it to sound better than all the other friends.

If they were simply eccentric, that's ok. :)

• Not at all. I appreciate someone with strong literary skills.

• No because I don't think people realize how much Shakespeare has contributed to our language. Most of the time I quote him and don't realize it.

• Yes that would annoy me.

• Naw I would find it interesting to hear.

• I'd be annoyed at someone who quotes anyone or anything frequently. Use your own brain.

• Every once and a while, no. Every chance they get, makes them have a fresita vibe I don't like.

• Only if they seem obsessed with it. But that's not exclusive to Shakespeare

• Yes, cuz I don't really like quote things, it's like taking another people words. Just make your own words, it would be better, and wiser, i think.

• may be if I understood it

• As long as they're short and the quotations aren't excessive, I'd be fine with it.

What Guys Said 16

• I think as long as you use a bit of irony, you're not trying to be a smart arse, and in an appropriate context, those things can come off well. People take the piss out of the way I speak some times, it's fine, because I act like I'm not 100% serious. Or at least, there's some deviant piss-taking playfulness in my eyes!

• Yes. I hate Shakespeare. Worst writer who ever lived. Couldn't understand anything. Failed every test because of his writing.

• Indeed, OleWilliam was gross at moments: www.literarygenius.info/...n-insults-generator.htm

• God's bread, it would make me mad!

• Yeah, that would be pretty annoying. There's an above average chance that I would punch them in the throat.

• "To be, or not to be? That is the question ". But seriously no I would think it's kinda cool since Shakespeare did help contribute to the modern English language.

• Most peeps who do that, do it with an attitude that makes them out to be a douche, like they're better or smarter than everyone else for simply remembering quotes.

• It is a sign of intelligence, education and cultural appreciation.

• I'd like it, if not too often.

• No,
    That'd be cool

• The key word is "appropriate"

• Yeah, I would to the point I start quoting it back or a counter point from a different author.

• Yeah after awhile

• I don't know lol

• Yes, unless the quotes were not familiar ones like these. Spouting a familiar quote which adds nothing to the conversation is trite and pretentious.

• Not like that. Use only the first line of any quote and hope people get it. If you have to use multiple lines then people will see you as an obvious pretentious cunt. You're better off with a joke anyway.