Snake bites a customer at a Lowe's store in NC, should the store be blamed or would you consider it a freak accident?

In a Lowe's home improvement store near Charlotte a Copperhead snake hiding in a tree in the nursery of the garden department bit a man. The man was later taken to the hospital. Do you believe the store should be held responsible or not?

I believe it was nothing more than a freak accident.

• Yes, Lowe's should be held liable
  • No, it was just a freak accident

Most Helpful Girl

• That was a freak accident. Lowe's shouldn't be liable for snakes being in trees, that's just something some snakes do. And it's not like they inspect every tree before opening. Now, if they were supposed to and they didn't, yes, they should be held responsible. But really, no.

Most Helpful Guy

• It seems like a freak accident but that doesn't mean they won't try to sue.

I'm so glad I live in a place where there aren't any snakes or poisonous spiders. :))

• Where,
      Alaska or Maine

• I live in New England as well and (poisonous) spiders are rare where we live. Regular spiders, not so much. Which is bad, I have arachnophobia

• @FallOutBoy2001
      True, I was mainly referring to the poisonous kind. I still hate the non-poisonous ones >.<

What Girls Said 3

• To me I think it's their fault, even if it's a freak accident. They should use common sense and know which kind of animals are attracted to which plants they have. Plus they should check every plant to make sure they don't have any unwanted guests. Along with having things up that repel them.

Now if they checked every single plant and do things to make sure that type of thing doesn't happen. Yet it still happens, then it wouldn't be their fault.

• They have insurance for freak accidents. That's what it's there for...

• It could have been a freak accident but does no one check the inventory? Or maybe it slithered its way into lowes..

What Guys Said 10

• That is not the stores fault any more than if one of your friends came to visit you and there was a snake in your yard and it bit your friend.

• Regardless of whether people think Lowe's should or shouldn't be held liable, under the law they will be liable.

• A freak accident. I only think stores should be blamed for things they have control over. Nobody looks for snakes in a tree in a store.

• Pretty much
      If it was the store I'd be all over them but its a goddamn copperhead that must have snuck in,
      What are you going to do

• Of course the store should be held liable! A customer in a hardware retail store shouldn't have to be worrying about snakes as he or she shops.

• I'd say a little bit of both, the stores for not checking their inventory and that, that guy just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• If the guy can prove the store ignored the fact of dangerous reptiles being in one of their products they should be responsible. It might get tricky though. Are Copperheads even native to the area the stores in?

• Yes they are very common in North Carolina and Tennessee

• I'm thinking Lowes is getting screwed no this one. What can the guy really win though? Maybe get his medical bills paid. If i ran that store i'd go out of my way to get rid of anything venomous before some toddler gets bit and dies.

• *screwed on this one

• its the stores fault. not only did they let a snake into their store but they never checked their inventory because if they did they wouldve found it.

• Freak accident, Luckily Copperheads are only lethal to children, the elderly, and those with immune disorders

• It's a freak accident, not the store's fault.

• It's inventory. Stores are required to inspect these things and ensure they are safe. Negligence.