Alternatives for a sleeping bag for camping?

I have an event to attend that requires staying overnight (for just one night). with some others in a tent. I don't have a sleeping bag since I don't do many events that require me sleeping outside. And i'm not sure if i'll be able to get a sleeping bag in time. Where I live the temperature has been rising so I'm sure it won't drop below 50 degrees farenheit. I've been googling it and I've read numerous things on alternatives but they aren't very useful. I have fleece blankets and polyester blankets and wool ones as well. But I don't want to permanently sew one closed just for one event. Could I possibly bring a blanket instead? Are there any alternatives?

Most Helpful Guy

• When you say it won't drop below 50, do you mean at night? Or is that the day temperature? While 50 is not terribly cold, it's cold enough to make for an uncomfortable night if you aren't prepared.

When you are sleeping on the ground, you should pay attention to what's under you as much what's over you. Laying on the ground can really suck the heat out of you. So you need something heavy underneath. Some sort of foam pad should work OK, but I'd still put 1-2 blanket (s) over it. If you don't have something like that, then I'd use a minimum of three layers of heavy blankets, preferably more. Something like a couple of heavy quilts would work well also.

For over top, I think I'd want at least 4 layers of heavy blankets. Also wear thermal tops and bottoms if you have them. Heavy socks will help also, especially if the blankets aren't large enough to keep your feet wrapped up.

If you are in a tent with others, the body heat will raise the temperature above the outside temperature so that should help a lot. That could easily raise it five degrees.

Most Helpful Girl

• Just bring a few blankets and pillows to lay on as well as one or two blankets to cover yourself with.

What Guys Said 5

• Of course you can bring blankets instead. You may not need much to cover yourself if it stays warm at night (and the tent will retain heat), but you'll probably want a few layers underneath you to both insulate you from the ground and to add some padding/comfort - the ground is likely to have rocks and roots, so you'll want padding to even it out.

Sleeping bags allow a relatively small, compact "quilt" to keep a single person warm, but compactness and ease-of-use is the main reason for them. On a single-night trip, that isn't a huge priority, so you'll be fine.

• make a bedroll.

if you are going to have something soft to sleep on (a piece of foam padding or something), just take two blankets.

lay one blanket flat
    lay the second blanket flat, halfway overlapping the long edge of the first blanket
    fold the exposed half of the first (bottom) blanket over the overlapped part
    fold the exposed half of the second blanket over the overlapped part
    roll them up snuggly and wrap a strap around each end of the roll to keep it from falling apart.

when you want to sleep, unroll the bedroll and fold one end under the roll to close the end, then partly unfold the other end to climb in. you'll be nice and snug, just like a sleeping bag

If you won't have something soft to sleep on, bring a couple more blankets to fold and sleep on top of.

You don't want to just have a blanket since the ground will get cold at night, so you need insulation from the ground as well.

• Just ask someone. They gotta have an extra. No one just buys 1 sleeping bag. I'd lend you one I have like 10 😂

• Wrap yourself in a king size blanket. No need to sew anything.

• Actually a sleeping bag and keep it open and just use a lite blanket

What Girls Said 3

• Sleeping bags are a pretty common item... someone's gotta have one you can borrow...

• Yoga mats?

• Air mattress, sheets and a blanket. boom.