Do you support the death penalty?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes. Absolutely. There are certain people who do not care about the law or people or anything. They cannot be rehabilitated, and it's too dangerous to risk them getting back at innocent people.

At the same time, I think it needs to be reserved for the worst of the worst. When there's plenty of evidence, eyewitnesses, DNA, etc. There needs to be zero doubt in the eyes of the law for it to be used because, yes, people have been wrongfully convicted and ended up on death row. I'm talking mass shooters, serial killers, serial rapists, etc with overwhelming evidence against them.

The other big problem with the death penalty is the cost. Because we want to be certain, there are trials and re-trials and appeals. It ends up costing more to put someone on death row than to just give them life in prison. I'd fix this by expediting the whole process. If we're absolutely 100% certain that the person is guilty, then there should be no appeal. Trial, conviction, execution. Move it along. It's better for us, and it's probably better for them.

Most Helpful Girl

• Very on the fence about it, because i just don't believe every case that underwent it actually deserved it.
    I'm not even sure i can say that anyone deserves it. Hence y I'm confused about it and yet to form a solid opinion.

What Guys Said 35

• I used to, but then I discovered to my horror how many cops and prosecutors lie wholesale to see innocent people put to death. How do they live with themselves?

• The problem with the death penalty is when the law gets it wrong.

• And you can say as much as you want they need to make sure they do not get it wrong but there will always be some cases where they get it wrong.

• @ConsultantIsBack yes, I mean have you seen the courts in places like Indonesia?

• I really can't feel bad that people like Ted Bundy are gone. But there are a lot of cases where innocent people have been exonerated while on death row, and you know there must be some who have been executed. I agree with the guy who mentioned how cops and prosecutors have lied and omitted evidence to win their case, like its a football game instead of someone's life. People make mistakes.

On the other hand, who wants to pay for some guy growing old wanking in his cell from the memory of killing your daughter?

• Strongly against it.

• Yeah, My great great grandfather was run out of sicily for killing someone he shouldn't have,
    He was a low level mobster
    When he got to the u. s he continued.
    The man was a fucking monster
    He KILLED PEOPLE FOR MONEY, MONEY, AS IF THERE WAS ANY SUM OF MONEY THAT COULD BE WORTH A HUMAN LIFE.
    So yeah, people like that deserve a bullet

• what if he is innocent?

• i meant other people, what if we convict an innocent person... that makes the society who vote for death penalty a murderer dont you think?

• @realname Thats why we need to completely revamp the court system.

• No I don't, as it cost more than life in prison, always has the risk of executing someone innocent plus it's too quick and easy way out, I'd rather they rot in a tiny jail cell.

• Only for criminals where there's literally 100% no doubt they committed the crime. Like clear video evidence of a murder or caught in the act. Cases where lying would be unnecessary and wouldn't change anything

• I think it should be expanded to some rapists and child molesters. I do think there should be no question of guilt before they're executed though. I'd rather see a guilty person go free rather than an innocent person executed or imprisoned.

• Death penalty of evil? Absolutely! As for who should receive it? That's the most grayest area I've ever heard of.

• I support it, mainly when it's not misused (but unfortunately, that still happens here in the US). Nonetheless, I still support it somewhat. If the felony is severe enough, then it's a good reason for us to save tax dollars this way.

• Depends on how its done, the chemical option is terrible to many complications are now showing up. and honestly there are way to many people in jail to begin with. We need to fix the prison system.

But if you killed someone, firing squad is cheaper and painless. And I don't care if you call that brutal because its honestly the quickest death.

• Yes of course especially for pedophiles, human traffickers, serial rapist and other criminals as long as the individuals have been proven guilty with true facts.

• nope. death penalty is murder.

• Yeah I support the death penalty for serial killers, rapists and those who willingly spread aids or sell meth and crack.

• Yup I do.

• i am against it, in my opinion a system of justice should not be a system of retribution, but a system of correction. they should help criminals with a clinical approach rather than taking years of their life away, or taking their life away.

• I'm not comfortable with the idea of a country's government being able to take the lives of its citizens.

Besides that, if someone murders me, I want them to spend their life in jail. In some cases, death is a release, rather than a punishment.

• And that assumes that everyone is guilty as charged. You can deny this all you want, but innocent people have been killed for their supposed crimes before.

• I think life in prison is better than the death penalty

• Holly shit, the yes is winning. Big surprise.

• I'm strongly in favour of it.

• i dont, it can be too risky, what happens if they actually kill someone who turns out to be innocent, it has happened several times before, just stick them in jail.

• I do not

• I certainly do.

• No I don't

• Nope.

• Only if they plead guilty. Otherwise there's a chance that they were wrongly convicted and the death penalty is fucked up in that case.

• i also support expanding it to rapists and pedophiles.

• The results are quite shocking tho

• Only today.

• I'm against it strongly.
    Prison for life is far worse punishment than death.

• More from Guys
    5

What Girls Said 17

• Makes me sick how many people are pro death penalty. It's a very barbaric old fashioned practice. And don't get me started on all the people that turn out to be innocent. Horrible, imagine you were in their place. I'm not defending murderers but I don't believe you should answer killing with killing. It's cruel and doesn't make you any better than the murderer. And people don't have to say that criminals in prison are too expensive because an execution is more expensive than life long lock up. Don't believe me? Look it up!

• No. I feel like that's the easy way out for them. Most people that do heinous enough crimes to land themselves on death row don't care about dying. And then what if they turn out to be innocent? There are just too many factors.

• No. Prison and Jail is not an easy walk in the park. I think the death penalty is cruel to be honest. I don't believe in America trying to justify murder through the law (death penalty).

• Only in extreme cases where it can be reasonably determined that the offender is unlikely to ever be rehabilitated and in which they will be in prison for the rest of their life anyways (or ought to be). Basically, if there is reasonable grounds to assume they will never be safe to live among society, kill em.

• i do but not within a corrupt judicial system like we have over here in the states along with most of the world. if the amount of innocent people who are killed is even one, then it's still one too many.

• I believe in an eye for an eye mentality to a certain degree.
    ex. If you're a rapist, be taken to jail and raped over and over.
    If you shot someone in the leg, get shot in the leg too.
    If you kill someone, be killed in the same manner.

However, then it becomes the problem as if the person who is doing the punishment also committing a crime?

• i think our society is very funny. We dont support torturing terrorist who would be more than happy to slit your throat and drain you. But We are all for killing another person. I believe everyone can change, and a lot of people change in prison. So why kill them. To me those who assist in their death are no better than the inmate they are killing. Then you have these " christians " who are ALL in support of it , yea you can't be a christian and agree to have someone murdered. Then you have these athiest, agnostics who "Claim" to all open hearted and moral but are o. k with killing people. No, the death penalty is wrong!!

• yes I do

• Absolutely not, it's far to kind for most people who get it.
    You should just lock them in a 2x2m room with red walls and no windows so they can spend the rest of their lives sitting their drowning in insanity.

• Depends on the crime

• No, killing someone doesn't solve anything.

• Absofuckinlutely!

• no I don't there are just to many mistakes that happen for it to be an option

• In short yes.

• I find no issue with downsizing the "bad people" in this world. I think what most people struggle with is how or why do we get to decide who lives or dies? In my opinion if you purposefully kill another human being then you don't deserve to live amongst them any longer.

• Yes and I wish it was used more often and on all violent criminals not just killers.

• What if we kill someone innocent?

• @Toad-1 it has to be proven they were infact the one who did it. I think the whole justice system needs to be reworked.

• But for right now it isn't we have and still make these deadly mistakes. This is why i cannot support it

• Yes.