Do you think the death penalty is cruel and unusual punishment?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• yes because it is so drawn out... by the time the person gets to that, has to think about it over and over and possibly has changed well past their crime days, they pay in a different mental state.

I'm not saying stop it, I say go back to firing squad, a lot cheaper and less dramatic than injections and electric. Now Charles Manson... just shoot him please.

As well, likely innocent were put to death... how cruel is that. So, I'd only do it if not just beyond reasonable doubt, but absolutely confident, no doubt they did it. Otherwise, just jail time...

Most Helpful Girl

• For psychos like Jodi Arias, hell yes!

What Guys Said 31

• I'm against the death penalty. As horrific a crime some people who get the death penalty commit, Man shouldn't have the power to decide who lives and who dies.

• There is a very legitimate argument for it being cruel. I will grant that.

But unusual? No. I see no way in which an execution, which is carried out for only the very worst offenses, privately, with attempts to be as fast and painless as possible, and is older than civilization itself, is an unusual penalty, especially for the crime of the death of an innocent.

In fact, I see leaving a murderer alive as more cruel and unusual. Cruel to the victim's friends and family, who know that the person who took so much from them still breathes. Cruel to the tax payers, who spend over $45,000 a year, per prisoner (at least) to keep them alive, fed, entertained, and with medical coverage (and even educated in college classes!). And cruel to the community these people are dumped back into, should they be granted a second chance. After all, while there is a sex offender registry, there is no murderer registry. Once out of jail, there is no warning issued to the public when they move somewhere. They are free. Even cruel to the murderer. If he is in jail for the rest of his life, especially in solitary conditions, he is suffering, and has no further chance at life. Keeping him alive for years, for decades, locked in a small cell, with no chance of ever getting out, seems inhumane.

As for unusual? Leaving them alive, especially if they can not be rehabilitated, is unusual. It is against what has ever been done to the most violent and cruel. It takes tax money to keep someone alive, fed, and trapped, but it also ultimately allows a person who ended an innocent life to continue their existence, which is weird, or unusual. And if they are rehabilitated (and some are, and honestly never repeat their crime), while rehabilitation itself is not cruel, and some people deserve it, it is unusual that the innocent is still dead, their family and friends still feel their loss, and the person who killed them, and hurt those still living, is now a free man, their "debt to society" somehow paid, and allowed to marry, become parents, go to school, get jobs, and otherwise live. Live the life they stole from someone.

• I recently posted a myTake about witnessing an execution. If you have an interest in this subject please read it and leave a comment.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a27750-my-first-time-watching-someone-die

• What's cruel about it? I mean they get a NEEDLE to the arm and that's that.

But naw i'm all for the death penalty, but instead of wasting money keeping these dudes alive on death row + feeding them with our money. I'd just shoot em in the fucking head with 1 bullet and there's that (the moment they were sentenced LOL)

• Many of the executions are botched and take a really long time to carry out and they end up sitting there suffering. Also, it costs millions of dollars to put one person to death (tax payers money)

• I didn't vote because I *would be* in favor of the death penalty *if* it were administered fairly and imposed only when DIRECT (non circumstantial) evidence was available.

• The alternative to that is life imprisonment or close to that. If you lock someone off for years and once they got out they would be outcast of a society so far ahead. Ex convicts aren't getting decent treatments especially they have been in prison for a long time. They are treated as 2nd class citizens and forever branded.

You also have to force normal people to pay taxes to keep these guys in prison and alive! That's ridiculous when we have normal, hardworking people in the US trying to stay alive with $2 a day. I would rather have my tax money on helping to get people better rather than spending the resources to torture criminals.

• The death penalty is reserved for those that have don't the most cruel of acts. So with that being said I must admit I am all for it. These people on death row have destroyed lives , dreams and families and deserve no more mercy that they gave

• I sure hope so! While trying to stick to the ideals of the US constitution. If you kill a S-load of people cruelly or rape the bejesus out of a bunch of little girls or something... than I would sign up to be the one that pulls the switch, painful... I can only hope! But I say that while still being very much a person that respects life as life! I still would not lose a moment of sleep if I sucker-punched Adolph Hitler in his face! Sorry, but that's my opinion.

• I don't support the death penalty.

• It's not cruel if you're punishing someone who took someone's life on purpose for no reason at all, like a robbery followed by the killing.

• I'm in favour of the death penalty but that comes with a whole lot of conditions. I believe that the family of the victim should have a say in it, if they're against capital punishment it shouldn't be carried under any circumstances. And the death sentence should only be ''awarded'' to those who've really earned it, for example if they commited a crime multiple times, which would also make sure that there's no single doubt about whether a person has done it or not, I mean, you're not suspected of murder twice, when you haven't done it...

• problems with this:
    innocents would die no matter what you do
    how do we calculate life?
    if you were the one puting the injection would you still agree to the idea?

• No and I wish my state allowed. There is a guy in jail that I'd much appreciate it if he was on death row.

• No and honestly I wish more states would make it legal again and execute it.

• No end in fact, I think the idea of Capital punishment Should be expanded the things like rape And pedophilia, but that's me.

• I think it should be expanded to some rapists and child molesters. Then release drug offenders.

• 16 year old child if someone kills your family in cold blood you would openly let them walk free in prison for life now i know prison is not fun but life in prison is paradise for some.

• No, some people commit such horrific acts that they lose all right to be called human

• It is vermin control.

• wow so many people who have to revisit morals and ethics of the past 2000 years...

• Of course not 😕 and unusual? Really

• I do not agree with it

• I support the death penalty but I don't support the way it's done, the drugs used for lethal injection are expensive and a waste of tax payer's money, it's a slow and painful death.

Should go back to the hanging, it's quick and free.

• If you wrongly commit someone who was innocent, the death penalty is irreversible. Although if they plead guilty then I think it's ok.

• I don't think it's cruel if it's done to murdered.

• I think some crazy mfkers need to be put down.

• It's not unusual.

• Nope.

• It's just a legal murder of people the cops and the jury don't like.

• There's nothing unusual about murder, or execution-- humanity has done both since the beginning of people.

Cruel? Possibly

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 8

• Not at all, I am completely for the death penalty. And although I may seem psychotic saying this, I'd rather risk the chance of killing a few wrongly accused innocents, than allow rapists, child/animal abusers and murderers to simply live in prison. They deserve to die.
    If I was to get the DP for something someone else did, because I was accused, it'll 1. Show I was right about the legal system being corrupt and not foolproof and 2. At least other people who DO deserve it will get what they deserve.

• It's not unusual and whether it's cruel depends on your own perspective, but I do think that allowing a death penalty makes us no better than the criminal.

• No, with people that committ such crimes as murdering innocent people. As they say "an eye for an eye" If they are capable of it then they shouldn't be allowed to walk this earth. They should be hung drawn and quartered. Maybe if it came into force in other countries these sick and twisted mo fo's would think twice before they started stabbing and decapitating random people for no reason whatsoever.

• Some criminals deserve way worse punishment than death but this is all we've got..

• Yes but thinking of the crimes committed by the one who is condemned to death penalty, I think it's the right punishment.

• Yes, I don't think anyone should killed for commiting a crime, but in some serious cases it has to be done.

• Some people deserve a fate worse than death. Child molesters and rapists, for example.

• Nope