What makes you think someone is smart?

What's your definition of smart?

Is it really someone who can read a textbook in 'x' number of hours, or someone who makes good decisions in his/her life?

Most Helpful Guy

• Neither of those really. The reading a text book what have you is knowledge which is not intelligence. Knowledge is to intelligence what gasoline is to a engine, its nothing on its own but under the right conditiones ie beign used in an engine it can do great things. As for the second honestly making good decisions is as much common sense as anything else. So to me intelligence is how you utilize your knoweldge, and why you make the decisions you do. Smart people can absolutley make bad decisions but the reasons behind it are what matters ie not impulsive. Don't know if that helps or not.

Most Helpful Girl

• good at problem solving, is extremely perceptive or is very intelligent with educational matters. there's a friend i have who's not that good at school but she's so quick with understanding people's motivations and desires, it's kinda creepy. i consider her smart.

What Guys Said 7

• It's not really something easily quantified. Some people are very good at solving problems, others excel in other areas. When I was growing up one of my neighbors had a Ph. D in engineering from one of the top universities in the world, and my Dad had to show him how to work his new lawnmower.

• reading quickly is a skill. making good choices is wisdom. accumulating knowledge is education. being able quickly learn new things and solve problems is smart.

• It's a variety of things really.

• Neither.

Someone who can keep up with a decent conversation would be start.

• Just being knowledgeable on a subject.

• i might get a conversation which is not abiut kim karddashian?

happy days !! :D

• If he/she doesn't lean towards a right-wing direction politically, and if he/she is aware that schools never teach you the truth.

What Girls Said 2

• Awareness and kindness are strongly associated with very high intelligence (emotional and otherwise) in my experience. I wouldn't want a smart robot in my life; I already have a smartphone. I want someone smart enough to be decent and good-hearted, as well as articulate and well informed.

• Someone who can clearly state intelligent opinions, who is quick in making or understanding smart jokes and who knows a lot about many subjects. Making good decicions helps too.