Can the American obsession with masculinity be the due to the abnormally LOW serum level of testosterone in the average American male?

basic bros bragging about their farts would be ridiculous pretty much anywhere else and so would be this re-enforcement of gender roles is a modern society. what americans consider manly is simply normal where i live. even for women!!! nowhere but in america you'll hear "alpha" and "beta male" talk. the main goal and basic good qualities for people are being smart and learned, and being generous is also appreciated and not labelled as wussy. people mainly are disparaged for being stupid, ignorant and egoist. we don't even notice "manliness" and you won't hear that word as often as in the usa. BY FAR. because manliness is the NORM. i've never known ANY emotionally unmanly guys outside america. can this be linked with the fact that the average american's testosterone level has been decreasing in the last century? has this made amercan men more insecure about their "manliness"?

i put that last word between quotation marks to highlight how differently it's felt by a foreigner. by the way i've heard americans say on several occasions that it's unmanly for a man to own a cat. this is paranoia! they had the red scare, now it's time for sissyphobia

Most Helpful Girl

• It's funny, because those types of dudes tend to be the biggest bitches. One of the editors who does shit like that blocked me because I called his ignorant view of mental illness ignorant. One of the testosterone trio blocked me because I wouldn't add him on snapchat.

• they're indeed slaves of their emotions. they can sulk for ages about a triviality. wait, just like women!

• Because I'm bilingual.

• cheater

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't know if it's true that testosterone levels are decreasing, but I agree that there's too much focus on "masculinity" here in America. I'm from Spain and over there you only talked about lack of masculinity when you were talking about a crossdresser, trans, or anything gay, besides that, it was barely ever mentioned.
    I don't know why that is, but in Spain we didn't have to worry about appearing masculine cause we know we're masculine.

• As a guy who travels to Spain very regularly, I can confirm this is true. xD

• exactamente lo mismo que me parece a mi. pero tù lo resumiste mejor. en realidad creo que sea asì en todos lados aparte en america. y no, no soy de espanha y mi lengua madre no es el espanol (mi teclera tampoco. desculpa mi ortografìa)

What Girls Said 1

• Foreign girls love American men because they seem them as more manly, foreign men like American girls because they see them as more easy.. lol

• This is very true, growing up in another country, a lot of women and girls would be like, "OMG American guys are SOOO hot!"

• @helloitsmethere because they' re rich, at least those who can travel and meet the native girls

What Guys Said 10

• Because America is also the focal point of feminism - a movement that tries to undermine and bring down masculinity and men as a whole. Everything else is a counter or an reaction to that.

• there is a backlash happening in western nations right now against 50 years of regressive feminism. thats basically why that stuff exist now.

• Ya avg testosterone in avg male is dropping like a rock. Shitty diet, shitty lifestyle choices, etc.

• What a nuanced, intelligent question.

My theory has always been that because circumcision rate is so high in the USA it obstructs the masculine development of American men and causes a national sexual frustration that expresses itself in Enterage and the Hangover type movies. The characters in those frat movies have high, squeaky voices and and are not very manly I noticed.

I blame circumcision causing nationwide sexual frustration.

• ... Wuh?

• Yeah I have noticed a bit of an obsession with manliness and being "alpha". Comes across like they're insecure about their masculinity and are over-compensating.

• That's ironic because we view Europeans as being the gayest and girly people in the world. I remember seeing the French protesting gay marriage, and their anti-gay protests were gayer than our pro-gay protesters.

I've also never heard anyone accuse American men of being weak or surrendering at every chance.

• Us men are soft

• I can't find anything to support your claim that testosterone levels are much lower than elsewhere. What difference there is seems to be because of body fat and lack of exercise.

• lol... true that.