My friend wants to move to LA to pursue an acting career but she has no talent. Should I tell her?

She is horrible at acting, singing and dancing. She has lots of passion but zero talent. I think she should stick to her studies.

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 14

• I lived in LA for 26 years and have dated actresses and models, some you could see on tv today.

Young girls who go to LA thinking they are going to show up and get an acting job are going to end up in porn. It happens every day.

Acting is VERY hard work, very demanding, and it pays very little.

Here is the question: What is her portfolio? How many years has she been studying acting/theater at her school, and would her teachers say they have never seen anyone with her talent in their lives? How many commercials has she done? How many tv shows and movies has she been on? How many different stage performances has she been in? Let's suppose she is 18 years old. How is she going to compare to the 18 year old girl who has been working continuously for 15 years? If you were the director, who would you hire? There are hundreds of thousand of "actors" in Los Angeles. Almost all of them have real jobs to pay their bills, jobs like waiting tables.

To get into acting is a lifestyle that you are either born into (think Angela Jolie, daughter of John Voight) or you start living by showing up at every casting call from the time you can walk.

There is one other entry point for those that do not live in LA, and I know two that did it this way (one now retired, but I guarantee you would know her character on tv if I told you). That is to win a state or national beauty pageant. Win Miss Pennsylvania or her choice of state, and she can do it.

Otherwise, let us know when she gets there so we can look for her on the casting couch porn sets a few weeks later (now often filmed outside of LA, though).

• While she definitely *should* stick to her studies, you can always encourage her to have a "back up plan", should all else fail.

Questions:
    1. So in what part of the country/world does she / do you live? The Los Angeles area is quite expensive in terms of cost of living.
    2. How bright is she academically? If all else fails, and if she lives here long enough to establish residency, she could always go to university out here, so long as she studies something serious to fall back upon when the drama fails.

• 1. We live in Idaho. She wants to move to LA after graduating from high school. She has never taken a theatre class. I'm afraid she might end up doing porn.
      2. She is too lazy to go to college but her grades are decent and she has potential.

• Before she gets the U-Haul trailer and makes the trip down Interstate 15, I would be happy to warn her that Los Angeles is a VERY expensive place in which to live, the pleasant parts of it anyway, although my goodness the weather is wonderful, especially along the coast, west and south of "The 405".

Yes, there are affordable parts of Los Angeles still, but they are unfriendly and alienating places, either horrid ghettos from which "gangsta" trash culture was spawned, or immigrant areas where people are packed in close. This latter option actually can work, it did for me in the Koreatown area, but then again I'm a guy and I married one.

If she can stay here a while, establish California residency, and then study something REAL, (like Engineering, Nursing, or Business/Accounting), she could come out with a fine diploma from UCLA if she is sharp, or at least Cal State Northridge or Long Beach. She could always continue to try amateur theatre while doing that and see where it goes.

• As for porn? Yes, it is an industry, and just like "exotic dancing" at "gentlemens clubs", the lure of easy money leads young ladies to do degrading things. But such a life never lasts.

• you should be real with her, assuming y'all are really coollike that, id have no problem telling my bro: "bitch... sorry to break it to you homie, but i dont think you're cut out bro !" and explain that shit..

• As a friend I'd support her whatever she decides because she's going to do whatever she wants to do anyway. It's not like she's going to say "oh, thanks for telling me" and drop it if it's her dream. Plus, everyone has their opinion. You may think she has no talent but someone else may think differently. She's also young I'm guessing so she'll learn as she goes and likely improve. But it's a long shot talent or not, you could tell her that but I'm sure she knows that already.

• Yeah you gotta tell her. Or just recommend that they will find you someday and you don't have to live in LA. Maybe youtube videos or something. Look at hoe many people are famous from that

• She'll fit right in in tinseltown.

• Tell your friend if she's really serious take acting lessons before pursuing a career in acting it is not as easy as she thinks talent or no talent.

• LA is a terrible place, the land of broken dreams.

She's more likely to become a waitress than an actress.

• You never know, she could turn out to be something you won't be because of her passion. I have a passion for music, my music is knida shit right now but if i keep striving for my goal i will get it.

• yes you should, better she not go broke

• Are you a good friend? Give your honey opinion and support her with whatever decision she makes.

• Tell her to upload a Youtube video of her singing BAM! 10 Million views

• Wow that's tough. I would agree but look at all the stars who have no talent. Obviously talent is not essential.

• Does she have a nice body and big boobs

What Girls Said 9

• She is Under18 like you here, dear So No... Don't say anything. She may be just talking right now and could change her mind once she gets out of school.
    Everyone has Hopes and Dreams and the Ones who are the Most Determined to Suceed, Are the 'Ones' who End up in the end Doing just the opposite of What you would have thought would Never happen and It... Happens.
    Somehow they Make it, No matter what it Ends up to be. It is all in God's Plan with any Woman or Man.
    For now, Support her decision and Mum is the Word.. Be a good Friend to the End.
    Good luck to You and to Your friend. xx

• You're in a tough position there! I'm a musician myself and it would be horrible when someone tells me I have no talent (which luckily never happened :p quite the opposite actually) but you're friend is doing what she loves. But maybe she should take some classes, I'm sure it'll help develop her skills. Try to be gentle and tell her that the acting worls is very very hard to get into with lots of rejections. Ask her if there really isn't a study she likes so she can improve her acting skills before trying out in LA.

• Let her fuck up! She won't listen to you antyway!

• I'd say something.
    LA is soo competitive for the entertainment industry. She will most likely just be a waitress or even worse…end up in porn.

• She would do anything for fame so I wouldn't be surprised.

• Tell her. So many people come here and they don't realize it's a tough business. Even people with talent can't make it sometimes. She's going to end up doing something stupid like porn or she end up working at McDonald's or something.

• Honesty is very good, but she's a person. She will get offended if you tell her. It's very rare for someone to appreciate it when his/her friend tells him/her that he/she has no talent in something they are so passionate about. If she is passionate, she will make it. Effort is more important than talent. If she is super passionate, why don't you try to encourage her?

• She shouldn't go. If she can't get work where living is ridiculously expensive, porns gonna be her answer.

• How about this. Never stop someone from reaching their dream goal. She can improve. Practice Practice makes perfect. She should take some acting classes.

• I think she should punch you in your face lop just kidding