Is it safe to starve for an entire week?

I don't care about whether or not it works. Let's just say there's an overweight girl. Not obese, but she does has stomach rolls. If she were to stop eating for 1 week, what would that do? Does it make people feel sluggish and tired, and difficult to function? Or does starvation actually quicken your alert senses, causing your brain to function better than normal?

Let's say the girl already feels tired when she does eat normally. She sleeps well and eats, but she feels drained no matter what. Would starving help her in that sense? On top of it, she'd be drinking lots of water and at least two cups of green tea a day.

And yes... The physical aspect of it... Is it physically safe to not eat for a week?

0|0
11|5

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as you make sure to drink enough and keep yourself well hydrated, it's completely safe. It's not true that you'll land in the ER as some people here claim. There have been people who survived for months without food, as long as they had enough water.
    HOWEVER, it's still not a good idea. Starving yourself will indeed make you feel sluggish and tired. It will also make you impatient, very cranky, unmotivated and it will slow down your mental functions, which makes driving or riding a bike dangerous and is also not a good idea if you have to take an exam at school.

Fasting for one week will lose you roughly 3 kilos (5-6 pounds). But don't rejoice yet. Ever heard of the yoyo-effect? Dieting only works if you lose your weight SLOWLY and you do it by eating regularly and healthily and working out a lot on the side (if you don't eat, you won't have the energy to work out). If you just starve yourself, the weight will come back in no time. In fact, you'll most likely gain even more weight than you previously lost.

Also, feeling sluggish after eating can have a variety of causes. One thing you should look into is HOW and WHAT you eat. If you eat too many carbs per day or you eat mostly white bread or white rice, that'll make you feel tired and sluggish. That is why you should cut down on carbs and you should try to eat a lot of whole grain products. They give you more energy and they usually also taste better. There's nothing better than a dark, hearty German bread :-).

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• If you're relaxed and hydrated and ease into it. I eat less and and Less for a week before hand so you're not in shock, and eat foods high in potassium to keep your electrolytes in check, and take it easy nothing too strenuous, then it's called fasting. But if you just suddenly stop eating no orientation lots of stress and try to do your regular activities then it can be unhealthy. Human beings are designed to go months without food boy doesn't mean all Odis can handle it. Some people have blood sugar problems. You should see a dr before doing any fasting. Make sure you don't have underlying condition. It's best to have about 400 calories in fruit during a fast. It'll give you glucose for your brain and potassium from the fruit. Fasting brings clarity if done in healthy conditions. Brings havoc if done half hazRdly. But it's Nita good solution for long term wait loss bc you lose weight too quickly and muscle too. One week is not a big deal but doing it for longer will stall weight loss bc you'll slow everything down.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• For one week? Your body would break down striated muscle tissue ie skeletal muscle, while attempting to conserve the fat since its a much more energy efficent storage of well energy (muscle tissue consumes a lot of energy to maintain which is why its the first to go) then after a couple of days your body would start dipping into its fat reserves, sparingly if it can, the body will start breaking it down in different ways (since the fat and carbohydrates cannot get past the blood/brain barrier it will start breaking it down into simple sugars) you will probabaly not be feeling well. If you do then begin to eat again your body will immediatley turn what it can into fat, using the rest obviously to run its self.(thus making it pointless since your actually going to end up worse then before) however if you where to continue, I would say (and these time frames are not precise, I'm going from memory here) about a week and a half (maybe two weeks) is when your brain would actually go into overdrive resulting in an actual boost to brain function as it essentially overclocks itself in a desperate bid to find resources. However in an attempt to stave off death your metabolism will slow that starts within the week I believe thus slowing weight loss. All the while the body will be cannablaizing itself using both muscle tissue and fat, again stripping off muscle where it can to both gain energy and remove a source of energy drain (even stripping some from the heart when it becomes desperate enough) eventually resulting in death (obviously) I forget how much it consumes of the body mass, I want to say 47% but don't quote me on that. Of course dehydration will be an issue and most likely cause of death followed by electrolyte imbalance which can cause kidneys to shutdown and heart arythmia (this is usually the "cause" of death through starvation). Now being built the way we are one week will not kill you (unless you are really badly off) but it will cause damage and while you can recover the fact is it will do you know good in the long run or short run thus making it utterly pointless. ie don't try starving yourself your body is built to withstand starvation. You want to lose weight, reduce calories (to reasonable levels) increase excercise, its slower but its safer healthier and more effective.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not safe at all. It could make matters worse, as far as I know.

1|1
    0|0
  • Not safe. Not smart. You will feel awful by the end of the second day and after the week is over you will gain the weight back instantly because of the body's natural reactions. Please do not do this there are many better ways to lose weight!

1|2
    0|0
  • you are gonna constipate and you are going to get hemorrhoids.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 10

• Bottom line is you're going to most likely pass out. You need food. If you need to lose weight then change your diet, eat healthier, limit your food intake, and exercise. Don't starve yourself. Ever.

1|1
    0|0
  • Short answer, no.
    Long answer, also no, unless you want to make yourself sick enough to land you in the ER.

1|1
    0|0
  • Starving would never help, she'd just get sick a lot and feel worse than usual with a lot of health problems developing.

0|0
    0|0
  • No, you'd have to be an idiot to think that's a good idea.

1|1
    0|0
  • It's up to you, but I think it's a bad idea.
    You will feel bad, your body won't work properly and drinking water will only make the situation worse.
    Starving is not the solution. I think you should change your nutritional habits, instead.

0|0
    0|0
  • Starving will never help if fact it will make you feel worse. Try working out and yoga to feel better and more energetic.

0|0
    0|0
  • Oh yeah, sounds like a fuckin fantastic plan
    I don't see how that could go wrong at all,
    Seems like a perfect idea to not eat for 7 days...

0|0
    0|0
  • No omg

0|1
    0|0
  • It would slow hee metabolism down and make her gain weight. If she tried to function she'd probably pass out

0|1
    0|0
    • That's what the water and tea is for. They both speed the metabolism.

• No lol, your body needs food. Without all of your vital nutrients you will pass out, and cause severe damage.

• I don't currently feel like enumerating why this is a bad idea and how much it will fuck up your health and back fire on you (because this op is right), which you'd probably ignore like everyone else anyway. So, at least for now, I'm going to warn you that if you do this, then when you start eating again you have to be careful and start eating again slowly at first or you could literally die. There my conscience is clear.

• No its not safe.

0|1
    0|0