Do receptionists have to be pretty?

Most Helpful Guy

• No. They need to know how to help people who come up to reception, they need to be able to use the computer, they need to be able to deal with phone calls, and they need to be able to do this while staying pleasant. But while a pretty receptionist is desired, it isn't a need, and people who need receptionists would rather ensure that the job gets done, than worry about whether there is a pretty face behind the front desk.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, Not at all.
    I have Seen Some who were Old, Older and Heavy set as well, Who sat and even Gabbed on the job as they ordered take out food way ahead of the Lunch clock.
    Of course, too, I have seen 'Pretty' girls, And some who were not that Pretty... But Nice in Personality which is More Important.
    Good luck and great question. xx

What Guys Said 14

• In my company we don't really care about the appearance of a receptionist. It's more a matter of how she is on the phone with our clients and how she treats people that walk in our front door. Competency is a whole lot more appealing to us then looks.

• I don't think so, as long as they can do their job it shouldn't be about looks.

• The receptionist at Google when I interviewed there had sleeves of tattoos lol I was surprised tbh

• That doesn't make her not pretty tho lol. Plus I mean... its Google. Probably one of the more lax places someone can work I would imagine.

• @teawrecks I'm just saying that's not generally perceived as presentable

• Preferably i guess.

• Yes. Absolutely.

It's the first impression your business makes when a client walks in the door, and even if you're not shallow, your client might be.

The point of your business is to take their money. Why risk it?

• If they were at my private practice firm: yes.

• No. But you do have to be an actress or songwriter

• I think so I haven't seen an ugly receptionist in my life its like they are all model couch potatoes

• Na. I think their efficiency and effectiveness is more valuable to the employer.

• Not really

• No they don't I've seen plenty of ugly ones

• I think most of them are but I don't think it's a requirement

• No, but well groomed and well presented is very important I would think.

• Yes and attractive personality

What Girls Said 7

• No. I think they need to be more friendly, welcoming, charming, etc... plus have good attention to detail, work efficiently, etc...

• Depends on the company. But they shouldn't look repulsing. In Germany, companies looking for receptionists always stare "gepflegtes aussehen" as their requirements. It doesn't necessarily mean pretty, but it literally means groomed appearance. But I personally think it's their way to weed out the ugly and unsightly ones. Because for most people, ugliness comes from lack of personal care.

• not necessarily, but at least average i think.

• I've seen some pretty unfortunate looking secretaries, men and women alike.

• nope

• Yes It dose help a business and attract customers

• Nope