Why aren't sororities allowed to host parties with alcohol and the usual stuff?

While fraternities are allowed to? I went to see Neighbors 2, and I'd never given it much thought before, but that genuinely seems sexist. The only Greek parties I remember going to in college were at fraternities, but I didn't realize there's a rule against sororities hosting them.

Thinking about it, I feel like they might be much safer for girls, having an all-girls house host a party. So you can still have fun, but it's less hunting ground-like, if you've ever been to a frat party and know what I mean.

I don't know, what do you think?

Most Helpful Girl

• Loool I just watched that movie. Looooove it

What Guys Said 14

• If you say it's a rule made by the National Panhellenic Council, how can you claim it's sexist when this "council" only manages sororities, and not fraternities?

I don't know why they aren't allowed, you should ask the council, or go to their website, they may have the answer.

• Why does that matter exactly? They know fraternities are allowed to have alcohol in their houses, but they're imposing a rule against it in sororities, because they're girls. That's pretty obviously sexist. If you don't like the word "sexist", go with unfair. It creates and unfair advantage for fraternities.

• it has never been petitioned as much by sororities, as it has been by fraternities... most sororities are against it... derrr, not sexism.

• Because women are more prone to being irresponsible and then crying about rape the next day simple because they regret the sex they had. There I said it. Giving women more freedom on campus would just result in more problems because they cannot handle the responsibility.

• They may not be *allowed* to do so (wink wink, nudge nudge), but at my university it happened all the time anyway.

• I rarely saw them at my school. Maybe things have changed. Do you think it's an unfair rule though?

• I'm older and it may have changed. Your campus may also vary. Out here in the Land Of Fruits And Nuts (California), anything goes.

• My college (UC Santa Barbara) wasn't very heavily focused on the Greek system, but there definitely were plenty of frats and sororities, and both hosted plenty of alcohol-infused parties!

• Girls are irresponsible also they can't protect them self's ehst happens if a guy walk in there.

Just avoid all the trouble and blame it on the guys if domthing bad happens

• I don't know if you're American or not, but that isn't normally allowed in the US unless it's a private college.
    If it's a private college they can do whatever they want and make whatever rules they want.

• Uh, its a movie.

In RL, girls are probably more likely to mind if a bunch of drunks trash their place.

Fortunately, where I went frats/sors were/are < 1% of students.

• It's not just in the movie though, it's an actual rule by the National Panhellenic Council that manages all the major sorority houses in the country. You can get fines if you disobey it.

• Didn't know that. Like I said, there were none-such where I went for undergrad. We had dorm parties, with massive quantities of alcohol, and some of the girls could drink us under the table. In my residential dorms, the bathrooms (coed, BTW) were conveniently located to be turned into bars for parties. And of course the tile floor was easier to clean.

• Never been lol never had the chance.

• I think it's because they don't want a bunch of strangers, especially men, in the sorority house

• They can't cordon areas off, or have it in the backyard if they want? They still go to frat houses and party with a bunch of strangers anyway though. Or what if they wanted to throw their own all girls party with alcohol?

• I'm not saying it's fair or I agree with the policy. I just think the administration of the sororities probably thinks it's dangerous to allow a bunch of drunk guys in a house full of 18-21 year old girls so that's why they don't allow parties there

• when the last time you did that for your sorority or petitioned it from the university? fuck, when the last time you paid for your own booze?

• Lesbians gone wild with weed, ecstasy, coke and alcohol sound fun doesn't it?

• I didn't know fraternities were allowed to either, I thought they just did it

• Because only ones that bitch about it are gdis and gdis never getting bid anyway so baha

• Because they chose to make it that way.

Who do you think runs the National Panhellenic Council?

• I don't know it sucks though. Any Girls can just waltz right into any party they want in college even if they don't know a single guy there. Guys have to be in the frat or know several guys in it or they don't get to party.

What Girls Said 9

• My sorority hosts ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ no where near as many or of the same size, but we do host. You're right, though, it's not the norm. Good question...

• i was in a sorority and i honestly have no idea why. lol

• So, for those not in the US, it's about as real to life as police action movies?

• @Shaft50 haha! no not like in the movies. sororities have a lot of rules that outsiders dont really know of. if any behaved like they did in the movies they would have formals taken away or even be kicked off campus.

• I see... well, as I was disappointed to learn that police life isn't as depicted on film, I am just as disappointed that college life isn't as wild and carefree as I was led to believe...
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NL-WPP2rdY

• Good point that I do not know the answer to ;)

• That wasn't the case when I was in college but I suspect its so you don't run into some pervert that takes advantage of a drunk woman. Its the same reason why target lost a large number of its customers recently. People don't want women/girls to be taken advantage of.

• it has to do with the budgets of the sorority and fraternity. the fraternities have alcohol provided at their parties because they use the money they have to pay at the beginning of the semester. sororities probably use that money towards other things. i dont think its anything to complain about.

• We do tend to be more professional don't we ;) at least that's the case on my campus

• I think you shouldn't base real life on a fictional comedy...

• It's not fictional though, it's a real thing. A real rule. Google it.

• Happens all the time, no one enforces those old rules,

• they can... they just don't know how and prefer the guys do it... BOOM.

• Its not sexist if a governing fraternity body made up of women decide that young women dont need encouragement to drink. Also its wrong to compare it to boys fraternities as if to say "if they can do it why not us". Male fraternities are allowed parties because of their governing body which has nothing to do with girls. Would you be happier if no one could have any parties. Girls would be a lot safer if they took more responsibility for themselves at parties instead of getting so drunk they didn't know what they had done or with who. To often I have seen friends claim rape when actually they were both drunk all because they couldn't remember the details or felt guilty because they had a boyfriend.