The right to own guns? Good or bad?

I didn't wanna say right to bear arms, I don't know why.

• good
  • other
  • bad

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 24

• It's a very good thing in my opinion. I go hunting sometimes and shoot every now and then. I've been around guns my whole life and proper gun safety was always the biggest priority in my house and the first thing I learned before picking up a gun. Guns are a tool just like many other things humans use. Some people misuse them but that doesn't make the tool inherently "bad." Guns give people the means to hunt for food as well as the ability to protect and defend themselves and their families.

Some people want to rely on the police to protect them. However, being from a small town, I know how long it can take the police to show up when called (20 or 25 minutes, sometimes even longer). They are reactive, they don't typically protect someone before crime happens. That's why people should have the means to protect themselves if the situation arises.

I was surrounded by thousands of guns and legal gun owners at the NRA meeting this past weekend and guess what? Nothing bad happened. :)

• hey that was a nice read :D yes it is a tool just like anything else. heck someone can commit murder with a sharp pencil. I think the reasoning behind people who want to ban guns is that simply having a gun entices the will to kill more easily than not having one, but seriously if someone really wants to kill someone, they will do it by any means necessary. Still though, i find it very interesting what percentage make up for the people who want to kill but decide not too because lack of a gun, as opposed to people who want to kill regardless of having a gun in their possession or not. that might give them a stronger argument if they could postulate a statistic for that.

• Well put bee

• For RESPONSIBLE gun owners - It can be good.

I'd like to own one and have someone teach me how to shoot. :)

• you can own one now. im quite surprised how easy it is to actually buy one. then you can take it to the range with a few hundred rounds and practice :D

• @SüßeJäger - For personal reasons, I'd rather not share my state publically on GaG. Although, I do appreciate the offer. :]

• Oh ok. No big deal. I hope you find an instructor and have a good time. 😃

• I'm anti-guns unless you carry a proper license and have a psychological evaluation conducted by an actual therapist or psychologist that testifies you're mentally stable - I also think the latter should be updated say.. ever 2-3 years because obviously situations can change and so do people.

• that is logical. i respect that.

• @gotc147 yep, me too. They can state a these (xXxX) times greater chances of all these things but show me actual numbers. These mean nothing, there's no base number to compare them to. You say I won't look at info but you don't either. Where are all these things happening? Everyone I know has guns and none of these things have ever happened. I owned a gunshop for several years I sold thousands of guns, none of these things ever happened to any of my customers. I had thousands of them. I also know anti gun people will just flat out lie to get people on their side. Go to the fbi crime stats website and compare real numbers of states with high gun ownership/few gun laws and states with low gun ownership/many gun laws. Look at the firearm murder rates. Those are real numbers. You'll find gun murder rates average 4 times higher in low gun ownership states/strict gun laws. Let me know what you think. Everything else I answered on GingerBears post.

• @SüßeJäger omg it's so obvious from this last paragraph how you're in denial but I didn't expect anything else from a "gunshop owner" - I could talk to a rock instead and there was a greater chance it would change due to erosion than you. Just stop arguing for your beloved guns with everyone who is still walking around with their eyes open for goodness sake. You've already proven on multiple occasions how insecure you really are about guns and the us gun laws because you feel the need to defend them and argue for them every single time. Bye now, I'm leaving this thread.

• I am a conservative minded person and believe in the 2nd Amendment rights of citizens.

• I think we have a right to own guns for hunting, private self-defense, etc. but as for having them out in public, that seems much more an issue of a militia than private arms (concealed or open carry). I interpret the Constitution to refer to a militia, not private citizens carrying on the street - we have police etc. already. And yes I'm aware that in the Old West men and women had guns - but that was a pretty lawless place and time.

I'm from an area where people hunt and almost everyone owns multiple guns, including my family, and I still think people should not carry them in public. At home they should be kept locked up and ideally unloaded.

• And even hunting I don't think is ok except in cases of actual need (God knows). Target shooting, sure.

• @SüßeJäger My gut feeling tells me there's a high probability you're white, but I don't know why.

• @jacquesvol yes, I am. So that makes it a bad thing?

• I'm all for people being able to have guns, but I think America took it too far. The kind of weapons you can get in the US is insane, and some of them should be restricted to military use.
    I'm an Australian, and back in the 90's, our government initiated a gun buy-back scheme, after the Port Arthur massacre, in which 35 people were gunned down. While guns are not inherently evil, it wouldn't have happened if the perpetrator didn't have access to the gun he used. And since the government brought in different laws surrounding firearms, we've not had another massacre. Compare that to the US, who seems to have a large scale shooting every other day.
    I think a middle ground would be nice. Make some firearms available, but have strict regulations on who can own them and where you can buy them.

• So that would keep guns out of the hands of bad guys? Like drug laws keep drugs out of everyone's hands. Prohibition during the 1920's kept everyone from drinking alcohol? The guns the military have are restricted to the military unless a person registers them, pays a $200 tax and waits about 6 months to get the approval. Not to mention the price of the guns are 10-20k to begin with. How do you know it wouldn't have happened if he didn't have THAT gun? Maybe he could have used one that was almost identical? He was insane, you can't do anything to stop an insane person if they want to murder. Banning guns will keep bad guys from having them just like making murder illegal keeps people from getting murdered.

• They can make all the laws they want but until they can be enforced, they're completely worthless. I guess that's what I'm trying to make you understand in a nutshell. All the laws in the world will do no good if they are totally unenforceable.

• @SüßeJäger Ok, do you understand that I'm aware of all of that? Because, as I've said, America is a bit too far gone to be able to make their country safer in terms of gun control. If people, years ago, had implemented better guidelines on who can sell firearms, and where you can get ammunition, etc, maybe it would have worked.
      All I've been saying is that ideally, it would be somewhere in between, where guns are available, but regulated much better than they currently are in the US.

• Most people are way too extremely stupid to own a gun and not let little kids get their hands on them. Along with mentally crazy people that need to be far away from them.

People need tasers because that way you can't accidentally kill someone. Unless they have a big heart problem but that's not common.

• What if the bad guy has a gun? Wouldn't you want to be at least on equal ground? I love the recent fad of not letting "crazy" people have guns. It's been illegal since the gun control act of 1968 lol.

• i feel you on that. that is so irresponsible, and like you put it, so stupid.

• Those people give a bad name to all law abiding citizens, when you have a small child, you lock it up, or at the bare minimum, keep it unloaded,. When I was younger, all the guns were locked, and the bullets were in another part of the room, and unlike that one parent that took his kid shooting, and gave him and 1w gauge when the kid was 5 or the 6 year old that was given a fully automatic to shoot, I was about 11 and I was only shooting a 22 Rolfe or pistol, stepped up only when I was ready, learned all the safety things first, only time I touched the gun outside of the range, was when it needed to be cleaned, and I was taught how to clean it

• I'm very mixed about this. I absolutely don't support guns and I won't ever own one. But I think banning guns is a horrible thing to do because that just means law abiding citizens won't have one but the ones we actually want to keep guns from will find a way to get one.

• Very good. You understand the definition of a criminal, good for you. I shoot a lot and it's very enjoyable. The other bad thing about trying to take them away from Americans is it would cause a bloody civil war.

• so in essence, banning guns still won't stop criminals from obtaining them illegally and using them on the defenseless.

• I proudly own several firearms of my own. My husband has several as well. We own them for protection of our livestock an ourselves. we also do some recreational shooting time to time. Main use is protecting our cattle/horses from predators.

I was always raised with the mindset a gun is just a tool. It like a hammer can be used to kill someone or can be used to help make a living as well as well as help do a hobby.

I do not support use of fully auto weapons thoe.

• that's commendable :D protecting your livestock, I like that.

• Thank you.

It's trually devastating the loss natural predators have on livestock. A small ranch operation can be put out of bussniess if there not careful. Luckily my family runs a larger operation an we can figure dead loss into our budget. We set aside a minimum of 70k a year for it. Some years it's much lower some years it's much higher.

I should add I do not support a prolonged painful death of any animal. We believe in a quik/clean kill.

• yeah i can imagine that would really suck if like 1 or 2 hungry wolves decided to kill 7 cows out of 12 cows total. that seems like a major loss.

• Bad... Why? Because people are stupid.

• Banning guns won't keep them out of the hands of criminals.

• The "people are stupid" argument can be used for a lot of things and abused for a lot of reasons.

Very, very bad argument.

• Guns are the only thing that makes a 5'3 120 lb girl as powerful as a 6'5 260 lb man.

For the sake of self defense people need to have the power to actually stand a chance against a bigger and stronger attacker.

• Hell yeah. There's a smart chick! We're gonna go shooting after Christmas dinner!

• Still sounds like Middle Ages to me

• I was never at America so it's possible that guns a really needed there but that would actually be really a sad fact then

• If someone carries a gun I guess they have to be prepared to use it and that's where things get nasty. If I lived in America I'd want to go out wearing body amour or hide behind a really muscular guy if there was trouble and wonder if he could take bullets 😏

• Owning a gun is not a bad thing, it is for safety purpose. Guns are not bad but the power rests in the hand of yielder, if it is in right hands then no problem but if the person who owns it has bad intention and is immature enough to understand the threat then it is a bad thing.

• Well when used responsibly they're okay.

• Good thing

• I feel if you can't get them legally you can get them illegally. You dont need guns to do harm. Look at Europe they banned guns, yet guns get in illegally and they make bombs. Crazies are going to find a way to do what they feel they need to do.

• I think both good and bad.
    The bad part: weird ass maniacs owning guns. The good part: protecting yourself from the weird ass maniacs who owns guns.

• thats a good way to put it.

why doesn't that work on people against guns? im so curious, because it does make sense.

• yeah, hand to hand combat isn't exactly effective when a guy pulls out a 45 7 feet away from you. now if they were to walk up to you and push it against your stomach, someone trained in self defense and combat would have a better chance of surviving.

• That's true. It makes sense.

• Well i think it really depends of course i's good to be able to defend yourself

• but the thing is some people are really stupid and dangerous and when i see parents offering their daughter a pink gun at 6 yo for her b-day i question myself lol, but in general if someone wants to kill he'll do it no matte what so the fact of making it illgal is useless so i guess it's fine to be able to own one even if i would prefer not to haha

• a 6 year old present, wow that's really soon lol. no one should mess with you!

• hahah yeah, well it's not funny after all hahah >_<

• I own a few guns & consider it more of a privilege.

• privilege because of Canadian laws? curious.

• ah i see. just clarifying because you considered it a privilege so i thought hey maybe she has the guns that are near impossible to get lol.

• The restrictions on hand guns make almost impossible to own one.

• It is a good thing, if you use them in the right way :)

• everyone in Texas carries one, so why not? but I'd be terrified to hold one though.

• can't be that bad to just hold one :P

• chin up girl. you're gonna make it.

• It's like anything else. If a person from 150 years ago ride in a car going 65 mph, they'd be scared to death but for us, it's normal. If you were trained appropriately and eased into it, you'd not be afraid anymore and most likely enjoy it.

• It's good when it's in the right hands not some nutcase

• Why do people need to carry guns when there's something called police and their job is to protect citizens/ people in general. Unless the country itself isn't safe in the first place and i think it's not safe since everyone will be carrying guns everywhere. i'm not talking about hunting or anything like that but this is a poor idea. for the self defense you can always find a way to defend yourself other than carrying guns wherever you go.

• And if the bad guy has a gun?

• @SüßeJäger especially dangerous guys shouldn't be allowed to carry guns and it it was up to me i would allow only hunters and they're not allowed to use it somewhere else for people's safety.

• i guess one argument that is used is the police may not always get there in time

What Guys Said 40

• I support the right to keep and bear arms.

Litterally every single argument in favor of gun control has been shot down effectively, there is litterally no logical argument in favor of increased restrictions on firearms in the United States EXCEPT the one and only reason the ruling class has: to ensure the peasant class cannot resist them. They won't admit that in public though.

I welcome any and all challengers to my assertions, and yes I do believe an armed popular can be effective against the Military.

• im just curious on hearing your thoughts about your last statement. how can armed civilians stand up against military power?

• alright, so the point lies that even if the government tried to attack the people, it's own employees, which are the people, would turn against the government giving the order.

so most of the faith is put into the hands that military personnel would not attack it's own country even when given the order to do.

is that what you are grasping at?

• Basically, of course some soldiers would follow orders but I strongly believe they make up a small minority.

The ones who are infantry especially would be adverse to such an order, and they're the ones who the government would be counting the most.

• Good! As a gun holder and concealed weapon license I love my right. That said I obey the rules and rarely ever carry it when im in public. Its in my center console however. Of course people will say guns cause violence. No people cause violence. I can guarantee you that if someone wants to cause harm they will do harm. If guns where banned it would still be easily available to get a gun on the black market. You can still buy fertilizer and gasoline and make bombs and shit. Just cuz we have so many shootings in the states people ultimately assume that guns are the problem.

• that's true, people are the problem, not guns. but i have to rationalize here, the reason they target guns so quickly is because a gun is the easiest and deadliest means to go about killing people, which makes it very easy for the killer to take out as many people as they can. but still, banning them, what good would that do? ever heard of the black market? lol. they draw their solutions based off their emotions, not logic.

• Yes it's a very good thing, I use guns for hunting, I use em when I go to the range and have fun shooting targets with my father and his best friend since he was a little kid, and I will use them for self defense if I have to and a lot of people use them in shooting scholarships to get into school. First thing I was ever taught about weapons is that they are tools like a hammer, nail, or saw, they are not good nor are they evil, and what makes them either depends on the person hold them and who has their finger on the trigger.

The second thing I was taught was how to properly maintain, clean and operate it, and that even though it is a tool is can and will hurt or kill someone if you are not careful with it and it's not a toy, even though it is beyond fun to blow stuff away with a hail of gunfire you still have to treat it for what it is.

I live in a town were gun ownership is common from law enforcement to veterans, to your average joe or farmer. I have been around hundreds and thousands of guns, gone shooting multiple times, target shooting, hunting, skeet shooting etc, been to gun shows were there are literally over 1,000 weapons. And I've walked past and spent time around gun owners who practice both open carry and concealed carry and *gasp* guess what every single time no one was hurt and no one died, I know right? crazy, being around guns and no one dies who would have known?

And for all you gun hating people guess what did you know that most if not all gun related crime, shoot outs and massacres happen in gun free zones or stores/buildings were guns are extremely prohibited or outright banned. Who knew right? that a criminal or mentally unstable person wit a death wish wouldn't listen to a little sign that says no guns, crazy right?

And to make it better gun related crimes are very uncommon in gun zones were open and concealed carrying is allowed. You wanna know why? because in gun zones a criminal is not going to risk getting shot by people either open or concealed carrying. While in gun free zones it's open season on innocent people because there are no guns so criminals can take their time and pick and choose who they want to kill.

https://youtu.be/oeAy0aQxxOU

• No one will care more about your personal safety than yourself. What I find contradictory is the people who seem to dislike the police the most are the same people who want to strip individuals of the means to defend themselves, and trust the police will.

• where lies their logic? do they even think these things through? or do they really believe that no police are corrupt, including any governing entity.

• The classic argument from all conservatives is that "banning guns won't keep them away from criminals". However what is really in question here is the intent to murder, which will always exist, it's a natural tendency. We create 'justice' in order to 'justify' the instances in which it is 'ethical' to engage in such behaviors but the common mindset seems to believe that if someone is putting me or my family in danger it's 'justifiable' to kill them. Yet the neglected aspect becomes why does the 'criminal' have intent to murder and what is the significance of this intent. If circumstances present in such way where survival can only easily be met through the armed robbery or other means of violent occupations then the problem becomes how can we ameliorate the imporverish circumstances that make death a necessity. As always, all men are rational, and their intent to murder does not arise because they r dysfunctional but rather because it serves a (subjective) purpose of utility. Whether or not we should have the right to bear arms is superficial question, why people have the intent to murder requires a much more probing analysis.

• I agree but if someone comes in my house and I have reason to believe they're going to harm me or my family, I'm not going to make him some chamomile tea, hold hands and ask why he thinks he needs to murder me and my family. If that's what you want to do, I support you 100%. However, I'm not going to allow my three year old daughter to be raped and have her throat cut cuz I feel sorry for some 'impoverished" asshole. I guess if I'm not a humanitarian, I'm sorry but it's not my fault he thinks he needs to harm us. Dead bad guy, end of story.

• Ofcourse I wouldn't blame you, the vast majority of people don't care to understand each other, to understand what it means to be human, to contemplate the vanity of existence. This path is for the few. The modern man is pragmatist, he acts unthinkingly and serves a green rectangle.

• Good! Otherwise, only law-breakers would be armed and law-abiding citizens wouldn't be armed.

• which would eventually make those law-abiding citizens turn into law-breakers because they'd eventually get fed up and go out and buy a gun. thats how I see it panning out anyways lol. it's either that or WAYYY MORE COPS, which is.. ehh...

• Or you can think like this; if more citizens are armed, then that means less police officers are needed.

• I think it's good but there should be restrictions. I forget where I heard this but I thought it was a good point: It shouldn't be easier to get a gun than it is to get a car.

I think it's good if citizens have guns to protect themselves but similar to how we need to learn the rules of the road and practice driving with an instructor before being legally allowed to drive a car, I think we should be similar measures involved before being allowed to own a gun.

• Should we do the same for voting? What about protection against unreasonable search and seizure? Due process? Fair trial? Protection from cruel and unusual punishment?

• @gotc147
      The psych exam prevents people who are unstable with potential desires to hurt others from getting a gun in the first place.

Ensuring that those who pass the psyc exam and get a gun also know how to handle the it properly prevents them from hurting themselves as well as any unintended targets.

• The problem with psych exams is these days everything is a mental illness, the DSM V for example says half the US population has been mentally ill at least at one point in their lives.

No, I'm not in favor of throwing a temper tantrum at four years old disqualifying people from owning a gun as an adult.

• Good, everyone should have a way to defent itself. I really wanted my country to have the freedom that America gives its citizens to own guns, it's damn hard to get one legally here.

• I believe in right to own firearms. I however oppose people carrying machine guns or sub-machine guns with them everywhere they go. A pistol is just fine to carry.
    At home keep whatever you like so long as it is secured safely in a way that kids don't get a hold of guns.

• automatic weapons are illegal most places so I don't think that'd be too much of an issue, generally.

• Sometimes I see these videos of retards walking around with AR15 just cuz they can. Like wtf, why would you need that?

• those people are just trying to prove some point but they do far more damage than they realize

• The right to own guns is fine but with very specific reasons and circumstances. Defiantly not how USA does it, having the right to bear arms for protection?

Its a very simple notion, the more you push the line further the more people are willing to walk until that line. We get that people kill people not guns but pushing that line further, by allowing the right to bear arms and under the right circumstance,, just allows people to fire weapons they otherwise would not have done in the first place.

One becomes are a lot more reluctant when you have to hustle around for illegal guns vs finding one at every street corner/household. The latter will be more susceptible to using a weapon if the situation arises - which is why USA Has a crazy amount of gun shootings - people have just become conditioned to firearms whereas in some other countries there is fear to be around firearms

• I'm an American, and I interpret the First Amendment of our Constitution literally. Therefore, I feel like I should interpret the rest of the document literally so I support the right of everyone to own guns. However, many many many studies in many areas of the world have shown that there is no correlation between gun ownership and crime. So, I don't put any stock in the claims of the NRA or those on the other side of the political debate.

Basically, I'm of the opinion that if you want to go own guns, that's cool but don't go around bullshitting us about why.

• We need to ban guns already and focus our efforts in developing lightsabers.

https://j.gifs.com/xkmxGJ.gif

• It needs to be regulated but people should be allowed to bear arms
    pre11.deviantart.net/.../..._spambusta-d6jbntb.jpg

• I'm from Germany and statistics say that it is a bad thing. On the other hand I also thing that it would be nearly impossible to change American society about that topic. I just don't understand their logic. Tbh I feel much safer knowing that no one carries a weapon instead of knowing that I have one to defend myself and knowing that some crazy people around me don't have difficulties to own a gun too. I'm not really a strong guy but I never worried about being shoot. I understand their argument that they loose freedom without it but it's not completely true. It just increases the observation of the police and police controls and u are more likely to be shoot by the police too

• Proud gun owner. Wrote a paper in my American Gov class that my professor really enjoyed. He had me stand up in front of the whole lecture and have people debate with me. Was a pretty fun experience and I'm pretty damn good at arguing. Going to get into debating when I move up to Chico State in the fall. I'll try and find my paper to put on here.

• wouldn't mind reading that. i wrote one of my argumentative essays on gun control.

• In my opinion, guns should be reserved for men/women on duty. The general public should not be armed with something that could kill on accident/on a whim.

• in general that makes sense.

• @SüßeJäger Because ranges are made exactly for those who enjoy guns, but aren't duty bound. A safe place to keep your guns, and a safe environment, away from the general public. I feel the same with other weapons, yet my martial arts group practice with staff, sword and war fan anyway. But again, in a safe environment.

If owning guns make you feel safe, then I'm happy for you.

• I feel safer but there's so little crime here it's almost nonexistent. I enjoy shooting and started at 4. It's nothing to do with feeling powerful or anything like that. If I wanted to feel that way, I'd do something that there's more of an audience or I wouldn't carry concealed. Most of the time, there's nobody at the gun club when I go and I plan it that way. It's nice having it all to myself. It's a culture thing here and it's like any other different culture, if it's not the same as your culture then it must be wrong or bad so people want to stop you cuz you must be wrong or have something wrong with you. I hear that a lot on here, it's just bigotry.

• I'd have to go with A, rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

• do some research on what happened ever time gun control was made a law
    and you will see we need guns

• I wouldn't trust 99% of the population with fucking car keys and here they are holding a tool with only one purpose , to kill.
    So no , owning guns is not a "right" , it's a "privilege" to be earned.

• Well. At one point nukes the size of golf balls will eventually be able to be made in one's own personal garage. Some day we're going to have to realize that guns are not only unsustainable for a healthy society, but ultimately are unnecessary. That is once you are able to dig at the root causes of violence all together, which ultimately is scarcity and inequality.

• every one should have the right to defend themselves and their homes, or hunt for food

• I own many guns and enjoy shooting a lot.

• I've come to learn that about you. what do you enjoy shooting the most at the range

• @Waffles731 yeah, I like forgotten weapons. 'Ian' is kinda weird lol but he knows his stuff. He seems like the type that never got out of the '80s lol. Some fascinating guns on there. Once in a while he even comes across something I've never heard of. As much as I read and watch gun stuff that's unusual.

• I own, shoot and enjoy just about everything. I have autos and a couple flintlock muzzleloaders and just about everything in between. If it goes boom and sends a projectile down range, I like it. I've been working on one of my flintlock lately. It shoots low and in order to make it shoot at point of aim, I'd have to move the rear sight almost all the way up. I don't like that, I like them to be as centered as possible so I've been grinding down the front sight slowly. It's pretty much there now, maybe another.010" ill have it. It's taken about 6 weeks of grinding then shooting back and forth.

• Yep.

Keeps the government on their toes

That's the whole point of the second amemdment

• I'm not trying to argue, but i read an interesting point against people for guns. what they think their guns will do for them when the government can deploy drones, they must be packing some serious heat in their garage lol.

• And the other thing is the current laws do not stop those that buy weapons illegally :/

• i was expecting way more action in that movie, but it was still good. lol when he's like.. "sniper rifle" and they just look at each other :P

that's one point I always make, the laws don't work on criminals lol.

• I personally don't care for guns, but I live in a society that loves them. So in THIS PARTICULAR SOCIETY, if everyone has a gun, I want one too so I can have equal protection. Bringing a knife to a gun fight is pointless. BUT... In a perfect world, nobody would have guns.

• wish we could reach utopia. that would be awesome.

• In a perfect world, everyone who wants guns has them and there's no murders. You're making the mistake of thinking guns are bad. Guns are amoral. If you're gonna wish, you might as well wish big. Let's wish there were no murders at all instead of no guns at all.

• It's good..
    People kill each other and population reduces. Also those who remain learn from the dead buddies mistake and become senseful

• it should be our right to defend ourselves. If I was 80 years old, in Canada. Without a gun to equal up the sides a bit, what could I possibly do against a 20 year old fit male robbing me.

• Great for me , we leave our right of defending ourselves to the police that's the law , but I hate that lol I already have a gun and a couple of pocket knives " liencesed"

• Good!! Dont fuck with my right to bare arms!

• It shouldn't HAVE to be debated but unfortunately there's a flaw in the system. To an extent, it's bad.

• In Canada, we can own guns older than 1897 without a stupid permit. They cost like 1-30k because they are so niche. It's dumb.

I'm waiting till the wild boars really get bonkers in population. Then things will change.

• More from Guys
    10