Have you ever been to a "séance"?

A séance: a session where someone presumably communicates with the dead..

Most Helpful Guy

• Hell to the fuck No im black i know the moment Me my boyfriend and his friends accidentally summon some evil shit im gonna die first. crazy white people fuckin with scary shit like its a hobby. some time i swear white boys are fearless to the shit they should be running from.

• Why would YOU die first?

• ty for the MHO :D

• You're welcome ^^

What Guys Said 17

• I would if didn't have to pay.

The reason for not wanting to pay is that I don't want to fund what I consider charlatanism. If I could attend one without paying, I would go and ask a series of questions.

I would do all that I could to ensure this spirit medium had no access whatsoever to a computer, cellphone, or the internet.

If a medium claimed to conjure the spirit of my wife or father, I would ask them questions that they would know and your average medium wouldn't. I'd ask my wife what's a NOTAP, or a TPA, or what is the key signature of C sharp major or what key was Faure's Eligie for Cello written in. I'd ask my father something like what's the induced drag formula or what is Bernouli's Law or what music was playing all day on the BBC when Germany invaded Poland. These questions would be child's play for my wife and father, but I would be surprised if the average medium walked around with that knowledge.

Even better, I think I would like to contact a random pre-Columbian Chumash or Tongva Indian (they were the indigenous people around where I live). I would ask something like when did you die, and then what the phase of the moon was at the time of his/her death. The average medium wouldn't know the phase of the moon on such a date. But the average hunter gatherer knows the phase of the moon much like we know the date (ask any contemporary hunter gatherer). I could easily check what phase the moon was on any date with Red Shift. I would also ask how did this theoretical Tongva or Chumash person come to speak and understand English. It was the fact that Houdini noted that the "spirit" of his mother, channeled through a medium, could only speak and understand English that caused him to lose faith in spiritualism. His mother spoke Hungarian, and hardly knew any English at all.

• I just read your reply to Pac-May, asker.

When I was a kid, I conducted an experiment with a Ouija board. As a teacher, I once had a student ask me about Ouija boards. I asked him to do a little experiment with a Ouija board. I'll tell you about them both, if you like.

• When I was a child, I proposed doing an experiment with a Ouija board to test it. I wrote down a series of numbers and asked the board to guess those numbers. At first, to my astonishment, it did it correctly! Then my older brother pointed out that my hands were touching the planchette, so I might be subconsciously moving it. When I removed my hands and only my sister and friend touched the planchette, it couldn't get the numbers at all.

Some years ago, a very good student of mine, we'll call him Charlie, came to me asking me about Ouija boards. I encouraged him to do an experiment. I told him to ask the Ouija board what some digits of pi are out in the billionth decimals or something like that. In base 12 arithmetic. I think I asked for 3 digits, so the odds of getting it right by chance were 1 in 1728. I have a friend who teaches AP calculus and who has written a program for calculating pi in different base arithmetics.

• Well, the next day, the student came to class very disillusioned about Ouija boards. When I asked if he asked it my questions, he said he had and that the planchette never even moved. He understood that it had been he moving the planchette all along.

I started a movement in my class where I borrowed and changed a phrase from Jerry McGuire, "Show me the evidence!" I have had my kids apply it to all kinds of things: astrology, ESP, magic, Big Foot, etc.

• No, I am sceptical about things like that. Have you ever been to one?

• You're right to be sceptical, it never works.. I've never been to a professional séance (ans never will I think), but my friends and I used to try it together all the time when we'de spend the night together, we had a ouija board and everyhting.. LOL! we were so stupid.

• I would love to try it. I don't think it actually works lol.

• It doesn't.. though I never tried it with a professional medium.. but I just don't think that ghosts exist, or that spirits can be summoned. However, I know this woman who used to try contacting the other side all the time.. I swear to GOD, eventually, weird stuff started hapenning to her, like once I was with her INSIDE her house, the windows were shut, we were alone and then suddenly, out of no where a rock fell on the table, it was like someone launched it.. LOL! I got so scared of her, I pretended I had to leave..

• I've had encounter to something that we think was a ghost at my friends old house we think was haunted. But do I believe that we can communicate with them I don't think so but who knows lol

• I would definitely do that for a bet

• I have no time to waste on people who pry on the gullible.

• You're talking about refusing the idea to pay a charlatan.. I wholeheartedly agree with you. But would you try going to a séance if it was free?

• That is still wasting time.

• Lol wtff

• No, but I've been to parties that felt like that...

• I wonder how you spell this word , and nope lol

• nope. never will: i dont need to comunicate with the non living. i will see them and catch up when i get there...

• I want to sometime

• That is awsome. No but I would love to

• Just for fun, or would you hope it works?

• Either we played with a ouja board at my old job which was a movie theater that was basically run down.

• Yes I have. It was interesting.

• What was interesting about it?

• Yes, what was interesting about it?

• The mixture of feelings from the thought that it might be real and the thought that, if it's fake, he's making a lot of money by scaming people.

I already believe in ghosts and the afterlife. But when it comes to people who claim to be able to communicate with the other side, I'm always skeptical.

• Superstitious crap.

• No but I want to experience such a session

• No cuz i'm allergic to bullshit.

• No because I don't like being conned out of my money. You've never watched Derren Brown?

• I'm not talking about that kind of fancy illusions, and definitely don't ever pay money to anyone who claims he/she is a medium.. but if it were just you and someone who saids he could contact the other side for free, would you try it?

• No, not even though it was completely and utterly free. Because no one can communicate with the "other side", simply because there is no other side.

All mediums are scam artists; if there was one "real" he or she could claim one million US dollars from the "One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge", but no one has been able to. Because all "mediums" are scam artists.

And Derren Brown isn't just in illusions, a quick YouTube search gave this as one of the shorter scenes of him doing seances

• Yes, in Town of Salem – especially since the Mediums have a curse that usually means they end up dead early on. ;)

What Girls Said 5

• I have never been to a serious seance where people were straight or sober but would definitely go to one.

• No, I haven't. I don't believe in those things.

• Neither do I.. but I tried it more than once just for fun... If it had worked I would've been terrified... but it's just nonesense!

• @Bluemax Just because it would be a bad surprise... It's creepy and I don't wanna distrub the dead! there might be consequences man o_o

• But dead are just people. Well, formerly people. I should think it would be no different from talking to a stranger.

• I used a oiji board if that counts?

• I have, and I would only recommend it if the "medium" or whoever is doing it knows what they're doing. If you go to one and they don't burn sage and maybe lemongrass, run. Burning sage cleanses the area of negative energies, and makes it harder for something nasty to come through.

• No. I both want to and never want to.

• Out of curiosity, why would you want to, and why would you never want to?