Can education be a bad thing and actually be a catalyst for harm that's being done in the world?

Sometimes I feel like that's what causes the concept of 'some lives matter less than others.'

It's no longer about seeking knowledge anyways it's more a competition about who is better than whom.

Most Helpful Guy

• Education is not the enemy, it is the lack of education, and what the 'educated' do, with that knowledge!!. That old BS saying that 'Ignorance is Bliss' is just a misnomer for domination, control, and subjugation!
    Reading, writing, math should all be assumed 'RIGHTS' to children, in this era! We have the technology, but not the will, and those in power withhold education, afraid that if the masses REALLY understood what they were doing, they would face revolutions!
    Bread and Circuses, as I think one of the early Roman Emperors theorized. I think that Nero, or perhaps Caligula, were among the ones that best used the concept, to keep the 'ignorant' masses, entertained, and fed, while they made their mischief.
    Our society is a parody, perhaps a parallel, of those times: They entertain us with TV shows, and drugs, video games, and all kinds of distractions, to keep us from seeing REALITY, and seeing what kind of sht they are doing, when we aren't looking!!

Most Helpful Girl

• that's not actually education. that is brainwashing. that is people being told something and not questioning what it actually means. just because it comes out of a university teacher's mouth doesn't make it gospel. humans are fallible. i have no issue with education, because i like learning stuff. however, i don't try to go around shoving it down people's throats either. everyone has their own preferences for learning, and if you want to learn then you should definitely have more than one source.

• THIS is so true. You know I always felt that brainwashing happened quite a bit in the University environment, but it was so difficult to explain how to another person.

• @IamLouise that they're semi-right (not meant for me but whatever)

• Meh, I worked for a big university for a couple of decades (computer scientist) and my SO still works there (business professor). I have yet to come across an instructor that doesn't encourage critical thinking against "the system". Yet, as I've said before, a lot of kids screw it up because they don't get logic.

Here's the thing about professional schools like business: they aren't there to teach you how to think - they're there to teach you skills. And, in business there is fierce competition among schools (my school was a Top 20) because a lot of big firms (particularly in accounting) will ONLY hire from top ranked schools.

What Guys Said 15

• Education is good. The question is is what we call education actually education? The answer is no not really. Its training, its conditioning but its not education. I can using empirical evidence prove most of what education states (at least the soft sciences) is in fact wrong. The educational system has a very specific agenda and educating and getting people to question the world themselves and to desire knowledge is not it.

• There is a lot of 'Bias' in what is termed 'Education', and it is different in other nations and cultures. Basic language, math, are fundamental, and non-biased. You learn your language, to read and write it. No bias. The words are the words, the sentence structure, and grammar, are established. Math is the 'Universal Language' because prime numbers are prime numbers throughout the UNIVERSE. Math is basic, non-biased. I It is only when national prejudices intervene, and distort History, or add religious requirements, or doctrine, that the fundamental 'education' of the BASICS becomes corrupted. Educating children on the basic, language, the basic math, perhaps logic, gives them a basis to think for themselves, and thus, be 'dangerous' to repressive dictatorial regimes!!

• @SomeGuy37 I agree that its up to the individual but the issue is more that we are no longer raised by parents but rather by school. By age 18 you spend about what, 7 hours a day at a school, for about 14 years (give or take). Thats a long time and a long time being told very specific things. They do take hold. Thats actually why its so important for those who do question the system to do so, and to use evidence to back up their statements. Schools never teach you to ask questiones (for instance every one believes the US is a democracy even though we are a constitutional republic, in fact its even in the pledge of allegience which many recited every school day yet never questioned why it says "and to the republic for which it stands") But yes, the individual needs to question and they can turn things around if they are dilligent enough.

• @SomeGuy37 Brain washing/conditioning isn't obvious however, its a wisper in the ear basicly, so that is what makes it so dangerous, because you don't even realize its their in order to question it.

• Yes people tend to use education as a status symbol now more so than actual pursuing knowledge.

See this article: www.vice.com/.../youre-single-because-there-arent-enough-men-253

Where apparently having a degree determines your worth. Many people today get an education not because they want to learn but because they want to brag to people they went to X university and got this high paying Y degree.

• So you're saying that education (elementary? high school? college? veterinary school?) is the cause of the concept that "some lives matter less than others." What the hell do you mean?

• Wow I can't believe you don't get what I'm trying to say.

People who are educated are considered to be 'better,' than others and deserve more (sometimes to the extent that their life is considered more 'valuable,' than others).

I've seen it happen so many times, it's almost scary

• Education is not all about knowledge. There is a lot involved to be successful in any education system besides knowledge. It needs a lot of emotional intelligence.

It is really about what you want. At the end gpa does not matter that much. You can strive to learn as much you can. The only issue i find is that a lot of classes are forced and are useless. Some classes though are forced and very useful and i would not have taken them voluntarily.

At the end it depends on the professors a lot and also on the student.

• If that educations contents or the way it's being taught negatively effect the people it' being taught to then yes. Also pretty much what @SomeGuy37 said.

• Competition is a form of judging your place amongst many others. We've been do it in sports for many years. Most often, not always, but most often the person that scores higher usually is able to produce better outputs in the real world...

• Hmm. I think it's different when it's sports-based (or even something like movie-based), because we don't really treat athletes as 'better' than others just because they're athletes. Of course we can appreciate their talent but that's about it.

People who are educated more than the average person get away with so much... it's not even funny.

• Fuckin pointless. there's never enough jobs anyway so why bother. Knowledge ain't liberating its restrictive

• Lets see here, the only classes that i can think of that actually teach that is sociology, psychology, and gender studies. Avoid those and you will get a very good well rounded education and you will have a useful degree.

• Psychology and Sociology courses are the ones that make all the comparisons between people. You're trained to be judgmental for a living and to categorize people into groups of wrongness...

• I wonder how those "anti education" retards think we came to the 21st century.

• If you're calling me an 'anti education,' retard let me point out that in the 21st century it's not politically correct to call someone a retard.

Secondly, it's not education I have something against, it's the system in place, Universities that train people to believe they are better than others just because they consume vast amounts of knowledge.

On that note, what does someone who did something very technical, like statistics, really know about the world anyways? Sure they meet people and that can be a form of learning but their knowledge is primarily restricted to a very narrow type of field which may not necessarily aid them in understanding just about anything else of the world.

• Their not junk sciences, they are very important its just that they are open to bias a lot more then hard scineces that have a specific and right answer. But this is still something that permeates the school systems irregardless of your major, from grade school to college. Its less prevalent but its still their and as I said rarely do they condition you to ask questiones but rather to learn by rote and by doing exactly what your told.

• @hellionthesage Their approach is pseudoscientific. There are a lot of useful things you can explore through sociology and psychology, but the way they are implemented is pseudoscientific, as much as it would be pseudoscientific to create lectures that'd claim that we are absolutely certain about everything we know about physics, and that's it.

• survival of the fittest brain!

• Almost all data shows that educated countries fair better than uneducated ones. My answer is a resounding NO.

• education is now a standard bar for employment, it's a gate
    pretty soon everyone will need a damn masters for base pay
    keep your head up
    if you see something in the world you want to change, fix it from inside
    this is ONE option
    get your education, be a force for change, use your powers for good
    sure there are a lot of bad things going on but we have to fix em =)

• The world now is completely messed up and bloody

• Stupidity and ignorance are bigger threats to the world.

What you're saying doesn't even make any sense.

• I don't really think that people who are not educated are stupid. Neither do I believe that they are ignorant, as nowadays technology has enabled access to a lot of things, and people can seek knowledge from well the internet.

What I was trying to say, was that education is now being used as a tool to put a label on someone. This person is an engineer he/she is 'better' than this person who has not gone to school. This person has a right to a better life, a right to get away with all kinds of things just because that person did school a really long time ago in a respected field.

These labels we put on people; they're frightening.

Unfortunately, like all good things in this world, something that is supposed to be the source of good can also be the source of something awful.

What Girls Said 5

• Yes. I have been in the world of academia for some time now, and I can honestly tell you it's not a nice place. Bullying, backstabbing, jealousy, narcissism; only a few things I have witnessed from professors. It definitely is a world of entitlement and who is better than who, sadly enough.

• No. Knowledge and education Are a catalyst for understanding. Understanding creates compassion and compassion brings peace.

• Education is never a bad thing, its what people do with the information and how it is interpreted.

• Thank you, Kittykat!! It is ultimately up to the person to decide what they believe from what they are 'taught' or told, in school or the news!!
      Why are so many people just whining, and saying they are being coerced, deceived, and told lies, when they don't think things through, and make good decisions?
      There are liars everywhere, but anyone can choose to think what they want!! They can 'Google' things, and read, and try to make their own choice, based on what they find.
      If they can't put in that MINIMAL EFFORT, to just read, and see both sides, then maybe just being Sheep is their destiny.
      Knowledge is Power!! Ever hear that, before? But some would rather "Ignorance is Bliss"!! Baa, Baa!!

• No. Not having one is harmful

• ^ True. But that's actually what causes divide between people.

Sometimes I feel like poor people's lives are mattering less and less in the eyes of others because they just think they are so much better and deserve a better life than poor people and that scares me.

• only if its sjw classes.