Was Rachel supposed to be the 'hottest' of the Friends compared to Phoebe and Monica?

I always thought Monica was really beautiful, but they never really portrayed her as the type of girl who would get all the guys attention (unlike Rachel).

It made me wonder if Rachel was supposed to be the hotter friend of the two.

In real life, would people really prefer Rachel over Monica? I feel like to an extent they would, because Monica was beautiful but also not really a girlie girl the way Rachel was.

Most Helpful Guy

• Probably did do that in a way and I always liked her the most on the show too right there with Monica

• But is she really more attractive? I didn't think Rachel was attractive at all the first time I saw her but over time she grew on me.

I still think Monica has the better face, but Rachel the better body

• yeah I agree it was also the character that she was. Like her mother didn't really love her as much as her brother, she was the former fat kid etc. so she didn't have the same kind of confidence that beautiful women have.

• Yeah that's what it seems like but it was pretty good show back then, I'll watch a re run once in awhile

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like Rachel was "hotter" than Monica in a way. Like, Monica was hot, but she didn't have that Rachel hotness. Like, I don't think that either is more attractive than another, but Rachel portrayed being hot in a way that I feel like Monica wouldn't be able to pull off. I love them both and think they were both beautiful, but like it's just like how my sister could pull off the hot look better than I can. I may be "hot" to people, but I feel like my sister is "hotter". We are both beautiful, but I'm just not the "hot" one, haha.

What Guys Said 14

• Rachel was hotter, she was a 10, where as Monica was also very hot/beautiful at a 9. Phoebe was an 8, by the way.

• You've got to remember that before Big Bang Theory, geeks (like Monica) was considered extremely uncool.

• monica is more hot than rachel, i find monica to be more attractive and pretty than rachel and phoebe.

• in the early series she waa was stunning and the sexiest but lost that as show went on to Rachel. Rachel was a two dimensional character with a famous haircut and a refusal to wear a bra ever.

• yeah because she was an uneducated waitress who couldn't write her own name or count to ten or perform tasks a toddler could S1 by the last series she was going to Paris to become a CEO

• Hmm I don't think she was uneducated, she had been to college in season flashbacks.

I think she just took her life more seriously and got her shit together so she could accomplish all that she did

• Rachel/Jennifer has a very hot girl next door look which many actresses do not. Monica could have been made hotter but Aniston still has the whole girl next door vibe going.

• I always felt Phoebe was not at all beautiful. But over time she grew on me and I came to appreciate that she was good-looking.

I think Monica had a beautiful face, but was more elegant-looking rather than friendly pretty the way Rachel was.

• None of them is particulary outstanding in the looks department.

• She was the hotter one.

• Jennifer Aniston was never hot to me. I don't know exactly why, but she just never was.

• Jennifer aniston isn't even hot at all lll

• Yes Rachel was the hottest of them 3 even tho Monica was a little gorgeous thing a had a crush on for a long time, I just watched friends for her

• Physically yeah , but in overal i prefer phoebe because she is the weirdest one ; p

• The reason why Rachel was seen as sexy because she has the greatest ass and monica was weird a litle bit.

• Monica could've been a really complex character but I guess the show wanted to keep things always light so they never really delved into dark territory.

• Monica was the hottest.

• Rachel more had the style and manner of a 'hot girl' who knew how to work guys.

Monica was a former fat girl and more of a geek.

Obviously that made Monica the better relationship prospect.

• Were Monica's parents supposed to be well-off? They always made her dad seem like the lovable oaf, but while Rachel's dad was a doctor they never really explained much about Monica's parents.

• I don't remember if we ever knew, but it's a fair assumption they're upper middle class - Monica and Rachel were childhood friends, and when Monica was dating Tom Selleck's doctor character, he was supposed to be a friend of her dad's. So... they were definitely upper income professionals.

As for how hot they actually are, Courtney Cox was originally offered the 'Rachel' role, so... it probably comes down to personal taste.

What Girls Said 12

• Monica was SO gorgeous, those big eyes, that dark long hair, she also had a big smile. I think she has a much more timeless beauty, like, she would be a knock out in the 1800s, 1600s, etc.

Rachel, eh, just not my cup of tea.

If Phoebe was styled better, she could have really worked her face more, but to my standards, and that's subjective really, haha. She was still very pretty.

• No Jen Aniston has a very plain face and flat body. Courtney Cox has a better body shape is taller and face has great bone structure.

Courtney tried for the rachel part but missed out
    Yes the way the show portrays is racheal was hot but had a big nose when she was young and then got real hot. Monica was a DUFF who lost the weight but was still the but of the joke becsuse her brother liked her friend

• I always thought a large part of Monica's odd behaviour is because of how blatantly her mother favoured Ross.

Many a time I felt like her mother just didn't care about her that much which of course made her have all these issues with being a control freak, etc.

It is really sweet that she ended up with a good guy who truly adored her like Chandler

• I think Monica's character wouldn't allow her to be protrayed as hot. She was the fat girl who lost weight and got hot but was still kind of ackward. Rachel was always hot. It doesn't fit the American guideline to make the once fat girl the " hot" chick on t. v

• I thought Rachel was hotter, because of her body, petiteness etc. but Monica was the more beautiful woman.

• I don't know, monica was curvier though... or was she? shit that was so long ago i can't remember.. lol

• I think both got a lot of attention. I would say both were pretty in the beginning but Monica got really bad in the later seasons. Rachel aged better. I think people also liked Rachel more as a character since, at least in my opinion, she was much funnier and less annoying.

I think Chandler was supposed the be the ugliest guy but I honestly thought he was the cutest until he gained a bunch of weight and got a red face.

So really it's all based on opinion.

• I thought Monica looked beautiful in the later seasons, her dressing and stuff too was up to the mark. However, she looked a little older than what age her character was supposed to be.

I don't think he was supposed to be ugly, I think he was just... not hot. Like he wasn't buff, he wasn't tall, he had this really sarcastic and weird personality... so people just weren't attracted to him. I think Ross was supposed to be a little ugly but also charming in a way, plus he had typical hot guy characteristics like he was tall

• Really? 6 feet tall lol I am into tall guys.

I never found Joey to be good-looking, he was attractive in terms of he had a nice smile and he was buff but it was more that he was just really confident and funny.

Ross was really really funny (like his character), but also a bit of a jerk. He wasn't good-looking and he was a little snooty but I think what made his character appealing is how much he truly loved Rachel

• Yeah he's a little tall lol they were all around the same height but Ross was the tallest.

Joey was funny and cute but I didn't find him attractive at all.

I thought Ross was extremely funny but that doesn't mean he wasn't kind of annoying lol and I agree he was a jerk at times. Honestly, I was never a fan of Ross/Rachel. Didn't think they were that great of a couple. Always fighting and breaking up, I just think it should be easier if you're a good match.

• In real life Monica is a mess, I felt sad when I saw how much surgery she's had. She was truly beautiful. I never thought Rachel was anything special tbh, but out of the three I would say Rachel is the prettiest now.

• I've always found Monica very annoying and a control freak, and just average (or maybe a little bit above average) in the looks department.

• All Rachel's are hot ;)

• I think Monica was supposed to be the bombshell and Rachel was supposed to be the hot girl next door type.

• I think it was more that Rachel was the flirty, "fun" girl that guys stereotypically like being around and Monica was more neurotic and serious snd Phoebe was the "out there" bohemian. They're all obviously physicallt attractive. The guys were sort of stereotypes too - dumb hot guy, whiny geek, wisecracking average joe. But the show made those stereotypes work with witty writing.

• You know the funny thing about Chandler is he was supposed to be smart, wasn't he an actuarist or something before he went into advertising? But he was really humble about it, unlike Ross who wasn't really arrogant but sometimes took himself too seriously.

Chandler was almost my favourite character.

• I can't remember his career, but yeah I think he was smart. Chandler and Monica were great!

• She was supposed to be the diva of the group

• Rachel waa the prettiest

• *was

• I think courtney Cox's age was really showing at last series compared to the first she had got super skinny and her boobs looked saggy despite being small.

• I think she was. But I always thought Monica was the hot one