Are Christians Indoctrinating Their Kids?

Indoctrination: Teaching someone to fully accept the ideas, opinions, and beliefs of a particular group.

I think people should be allowed to believe, share, and teach their children whatever they think is true and right. But is it indoctrination?

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 22

• Why do you limit the scope to Christians, and exclude Atheists, homosexuals, Muslims, etc?

• Because I chose to.

• @palek Christians , Muslims, Hindus are religious. Atheists are not.
      Homosexuality is *not* a religion. There a homosexuals in all religions.
      Few homosexuals have children, by the way.

• Indoctrination int@o false teachings is the suject, Jacqu"es. "Atheism just happens to be both!

• Where is the line between indoctrination and simply teaching your children? The word indoctrination is the kind of word that's easily abused.

If all they are doing is teaching their kids about religion, then I would say no. I don't think it becomes indoctrination until it becomes really aggressive and completely brainwashing them through massive repetition or something.

Personally I think there's a lot more indoctrination on television than what the majority of religious people do.

• Any religion really.
    Christianity , Islam, Taoism , Hinduism.
    The thing about religion is they don't start us with facts , they start out with "God exists" and then begin looking for evidence to support the idea. The idea of "god exists" is often time indoctrinated into kids from an early age. It is borderline brainwashing.
    In converse , if you keep religion out of the picture , supply facts and evidence , then let the kid develop his/her own conclusion about the nature of the universe , it gives children the freedom to make their own decision instead of blindly being socialized into some conservative bullshit dance that keeps on going with the only justification being "that's what always been done"

• Uh no, I mean the really extreme ones possibly, but neither me or any of the other Christians I know were ever indoctrinated nor was such a thing attempted. We all chose all beliefs, ideals and our path because we ourselves wanted to, not because someone put the idea in our heads. And even the kids I know that chose not to be Christians that belong to Christian families their families love them and support them none the less. Indoctrination is the opposite of what our religion is about.

And honestly you could claim this with just about any group you want to Feminism, political parties, radical Islamic terrorism, atheism and so on and so forth but it doesn't make it true or right.

• ALL Christians I know indoctrinate their kids.
    If they don't do it directly themselves, it's by their school choice: sending the kids to religiously oriented schools were kids are indoctrinated.

• No were not. At one point every christains come to a place where they decide for themselves weather or not to believe. I have had friends go both ways. I'm still friends with all of them. You either have faith, find faith, or you lose your faith.

• I believe you mean "No, we're not." We're is the contraction of we are. Were is the past tense of the plural form of the verb to be.

#GrammarLessonsWithLaVilaine

• Yeah I know but hey cut me some slack I typed that on a phone. Spell check also used the wrong type of whether.

• I don't see it that way. My friend was raised in an extremely strict Irish Catholic household and when he moved out, he instantly renounced his faith and is an atheist now. His parents were mostly fine with it. Obviously one example doesn't paint the whole picture, but it captures the idea well in my eyes.

• Christians aren't taught to believe without any questioning. They're taught to read, study, and ask as much as possible. There are people who's job is specifically to go around helping people and answering questions. It's not blind faith like you make it seem.

• I'm a Christian and the moment you denounce God you are no longer a christian.

• There's a difference between asking questions and denouncing. Denouncing is off limits. But we are allowed to ask questions because there is so much info. We don't know all of it.

• They tend to teach them only one type of view only, and harshly punish them for even thinking about alternatives

Therefore yes

• I think all parents are just passing on what they know is best for their children.

It just happens that (generally speaking) Christians are wrong about everything.

• Everyone does it to a degree

However, to answer your question, it's only indoctrination if they plant it in their mind and tells them to shun everything else

Only the extremists are indoctrinating them

• No, they're not, Christians are fucking bigots and I don't want to be like those cults.

As an atheist, I use Satan's name to spite them and their evil ignorance.

• ... That's not what atheism is. Atheism is the total lack of belief in a higher power of any kind.

• @LaVilaine Not really. I think Christians are scum and want to live my life the way I want, as long as there are no victims.

• I will never understand hard atheists.

• lol didn't work on me

• everybody indoctrinates their kids.

• Yes, they do indoctrinate their kids. Atheists also indoctrinate their kids.

• Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

• once more: atheism is the LACK of a belief system :-p

• @jacquesvol
      Yes, I know. I am an agnostic who strongly leans in the direction of atheism

This doesn't mean that atheists don't have their own personal doctrines, agendas, beliefs about various things that they indoctrinate their children with.

• isn't that what all parents do and then those kids grow up and make up there own minds. Its no different than parents who raise their kids as gender neatural, they are indoctrinating their kid with their beliefs on gender.

• Righttobeararms83 " and then those kids grow up and make up there own minds."
      It's to stop them from making up their own minds that they send them to Sunday school, to Christian schools, boot camps, Christian universities and all that.
      Brainwashing.

• @jacquesvol or do those kids think they are making up their own minds. If what you say about Christians was true church attendance wouldn't be down. Right or wrong we all try to raise our kids with our own values.

• To some extent EVERYONE is indoctrinating their kids. Public schools do the same thing.

• All religions do that not just christianity.

• Not a Christian but can I answer based on my relgion and how I was raised?

• Well indoctrination is always wrong and it never was right , my parents never told me do's and dont's in relgion they waited for me to ask and they just guided me with a little advices and they gave me the tools by which I search with and they never told me do this because... reasons lol

• Yes, however everyone indoctrinates their kids. Usually with there own politics.

• Well no fucking shit sherlock... of course they are

• Just about any instruction is indoctrination.

What Girls Said 11

• I guess you could say that Christians are indoctrinating their kids. Not that there is anything by default wrong with that... and they're not alone in being guilty of it. Indoctrination is basically what ever religion does to children. Likewise with parents who raise children in a not overly permissive way.

• It goes both ways tbh..
    Aren't atheists indoctrinating their kids into believing that there is no God?
    Aren't vegan/vegetarian parents indoctrinating their kids not to eat meat?
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to raise your kid a certain way... Your kid will become an adult sooner or later and he can chose what to follow once he's old enough and can think for himself.
    My parents raised me Muslim and I chose to still be Muslim as an adult, did they indoctrinate me? Maybe, but I'm convinced and thought about it myself so I choose to continue the path ^^

• Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Vegetarianism and veganism are not a belief system but rather a dietary choice.

• Parents indoctrinate their children into whatever their culture, ideas, religion may be. That's just the way things are.

• Opinions and Ideas ARE not beliefs.

• Parents teach their children to believe whatever they, the parents, believe is best, for better or worst. Religion is definitely no different.

• Having been raised Mormon and Muslim, and growing up with similarly raised children I would say yes. Growing up, my friends and I were taught that the religions we were raised in were absolute truth. The Bible, Quran, and other texts were considered to be better informed than even science. I didn't have it as bad as some of the other kids. When I started to question religion, my family was mostly accepting. My friends were often pulled out of school and any extracurricular activities until their families "put them back on track."

• I'm not christian but even atheists indoctrinate their kids.

• I think as long as children are given the opportunity to question the things that they're taught and examine whether those things are what they truly believe later on in life, it's fine. I knew I was an atheist by 13. I was raised Catholic but neither of my parents are particularly religious. My mother is more spiritual and my dad is at best an E and C Catholic.

• Yes and that is exactly what parents do: believe, share, and teach their children whatever they think is true and right.

• My family is from a Christian background and my parents are open minded individuals who taught my sister and I from a very young age that not everyone is going to have the same ideas as us and we need to respect that.

• No its not

• All parents do that.

• All religious parents do that. Stop blaming Christians. Muslim parents do it even worse, going to lengths such as disowning their kids when they choose to date a non-muslim Person, or even worse.