Why do people in the United States call it football?

Why do people from the USA call this football?
Why do they call it football?
I mean, they grab the ball with their hands. Why call it football?
That's like calling proper football handball because the goalie has to grab with his/her hands.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 26

• I honestly have no idea, but it's always bothered me so much (and I'm from the US lol)! I don't know a ton about American Football, but I'm pretty confident the only time they use their feet is to try to kick it into the goal. Maybe it's just the US trying to be special by being different or something (don't even get me started on our measuring systems omg 🙄).

• Tis a source of frustration for all of us :P

• If I am not Mistaken, I believe people in Egypt call "Soccer" Football.
    Here, in the USA, However, This is known as "Football" because I Suppose when They positioned for "Kickoff," This Name was Best suited to Fit the Ball.
    Good luck and Great question, @Noxifer626 xx

• Soccer is basically called football pretty much everywhere bar the USA and we call your football American Football :)

• @Blonde401 lol!! I learned a lot when I was in Egypt and some of it was not a "Ball". xxoo

• I have no idea why we Americans call it that myself, but I think the rest of the would has it correct

• they don't even use their feet except when punting, same reason they use feet i guess

• Why don't Spanish speakers get their own word for fútbol? YEAH, WHATTTTTTTT

ahahahah

• Don't we call it "fútbol americano"?

• @RedAmulet Thought it was the person.
      Still funny though.

• @ConsultantIsBack I did actually used to play rugby but stopped because I'd play on Saturday morning then miss the rest of the weekend recovering, I remember many hour long baths, trying to sooth big hits :P

• Not sure. But I think its rather dumb too. Maybe because of kick off.

• its tradition!

• Just go on wikipedia or some shit.

• I've always wondered the same thing lol

• i know i wondered the same thing too... it looks like rugby to me tbh

• Americans are dumb.

• Because they couldn't think of anything better and the fact that it's a crappy version of rugby aswell.

• Always wondered why myself...

• I just moved to the US and wondering the same thing...
    by the way, I'm still calling soccer 'football'.

• I have no idea as an American myself but I'm sure Google could answer that

• I've always wondered this too and have grown up just accepting it I guess.

• In Latin American countries what in the USA call it soccer they call it futbol.

• Foot refers to the unit of measurement not someone's actual foot.

• Tal vez porque la persona patea el balon con la pie?

• "el pie", it's a masculine noun, but nice try. Plus it's "balón".

• Sorry I messed up one article- I'm a Spanish major and I studied in Argentina last summer so I was excited to see you were from there. And I know it has an accent, I can't type them on my keyboard. No need to be an asshole.

• Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound like an asshole. :(

• I really don't know why they call it that..😐

• There is kicking. Either heard of punting and kicking?

• Hahaha... I always habe the exact same question since Im from Hong Kong where once was ruled by United Kingdom. We still have all that British culture runninh around in HK. We call football refers to soccer in the States and I totally don't get it why football is like that here... I remember very clearly when I first came here, someone asked me if I watch sport, I told him yea I love football a lot. Then he asked who is my favorite team... I then told him Manchester United.. then he laughed out so bad... lol

• Because of the length of the ball it's 12in or also referred to as a foot and titling the sport football sure as hell sounds better than 12inch ball.

• cause flop on the ground and cry like a little girl was taken by soccer. lol

• Is google broken or something...

What Guys Said 20

• Etymology and names
    In the United States, American football is referred to as "football."[3] The term "football" was officially established in the rulebook for the 1876 college football season, when the sport first shifted from soccer-style rules to rugby-style rules; although it could easily have been called "rugby" at this point, Harvard, one of the primary proponents of the rugby-style game, compromised and did not request the name of the sport be changed to "rugby".[4] In English-speaking countries where other codes of football are popular, such as the United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia, the terms "gridiron" or "American football" are favored instead.[5][6]

History
    Main article: History of American football
    Part of the American football series on
    History of American football
    • Origins of American football
    • Early history of American football
    • First game
    • Walter Camp
    • First pro player
    • First pro league
    • Modern history of American football
    • Close relations:
    • Medieval football
    • Old division football
    • Rugby football
    • Association football
    • Canadian football
    • Black players in American professional football
    • Homosexuality in American football
    • Concussions in American football
    • Rugby union comparison
    • Rugby league comparison
    • Canadian football comparison
    • Pro Football Hall of Fame
    • College Football Hall of Fame
    • Years in American football
    • NFL season-by-season
    • College football season-by-season
    American football Portal v t e
    Early history
    American football evolved from the sports of association football (soccer) and rugby football.[7] Rugby football, like American football, is a sport where two competing teams vie for control of a ball, which can be kicked through a set of goalposts or run into the opponent's goal area to score points.[8]

What is considered to be the first American football game was played on November 6, 1869 between Rutgers and Princeton, two college teams. The game was played between two teams of 25 players each and used a round ball that could not be picked up or carried. It could, however, be kicked or batted with the feet, hands, head or sides, with the ultimate goal being to advance it into the opponent's goal. Rutgers won the game 6 goals to 4.[9][10] Collegiate play continued for several years in which matches were played using the rules of the host school. Representatives of Yale, Columbia, Princeton and Rutgers met on October 19, 1873 to create a standard set of rules for all schools t

• I guess you'd have to be an American to truly understand that Q. This is one of those specifically "US American" things that are just part of our culture, similar to owning a car and getting a house that's yours. Many other cultures just don't get it.

Starting in about 2 more months the training camps open and about 3 weeks after that the preseason starts! Let the games begin!
    GO PACKERS!!!

• It's called football because it's played on foot. This was to differentiate it from other sports around at the time it was invented, which were played on horseback by the nobility.

It is a distant relative of rugby football, which also involves far more carrying of the ball than kicking it (unless you're the Irish team :p )

• Because Sphincterball was already taken!

• Because the official ball was/is a foot long.

• You are using a ball, and moving it by running (on your feet). You're not using a horse or bike, so... football.
    American football is known as gridiron football because it's played on a gridiron (the type of field).
    There's also Associaton Football (which the rest of the world just calls football), Rugby Football, and Australian Football. These are all called football because they were on their feet to move the ball (like peasants, since back then the rich used horses).

• They do use their feet. Punting and Kicking. Also football is much better than soccer. Watch Arena Football game and a soccer game. I always fell asleep when I watch soccer lol

• They kick the ball in American football too. They don't like to be associated with the Spanish so they replaced football with soccer lol.

• As far as I know, they only kick it when a team starts a new set or when they decide to attempt a shot instead of forcing a touchdown.

• LMFAO I wonder too 😂

• Yea, but traditionally you advance the ball with your feet despite holding it with your hands. But really, I have no clue, all I know is it's the best game in the world.

• Finaaalyyyyyyyyyyyyy ! Someone made the master question xD
    I want to know also...

• I know there are some moments when they actually kick it.. and it has to pass those big ass white polls they have.. maybe that's why they call it foot ball..

• @mikemx55 That's true, that's true. And they even say American Football, so they do differenciate it from standard football.

But calling Soccer to football... asdfghjkl

• go back to south america if it's an issue

• Because everything starts with kicking the ball down the field.
    Except interceptions.

• no idea, they just did years ago and it stuck

• Because they do...

Give it a rest...

• makes zero sense brotha i feel ya on that one

• Because football is football and soccer is soccer

• Because muricans think they're special and the world revolves around them. Same reason why they use the imperial system while 99% of the world uses metric.

fuck murica

• Because handball is where you masturbate while cupping your balls.