Is it rude not to thank someone for birthday wishes?

My friend thinks it's unnecessary to thank people that she didn't ask for them to wish her happy b-day. We kind of had a little fight over it, I said it's a bit rude and she didn't take that well. I don't know if I'm overreacting but if someone wishes me happy birthday the least I can do is say thank you. Espcially if it's from people I wouldn't see or talk to all the time.

So what do you think?

• Should always say at least thank you
    82% (9)89% (8)85% (17)Vote
  • No need to say anything
    18% (2)0% (0)10% (2)Vote
  • Other
    0% (0)11% (1)5% (1)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
6|2

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah it's rude.

1|0
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• I think if it's like a FB post you don't always HAVE to, some people post that generic "thanks everyone for the birthday wishes!" Thing which I think is enough.. But if it's over a private message or text or in person or something more personal, then yea I agree you should always say thank you. It's not even that much effort

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 5

• Being polite is always necessary. I agree with you and not your friend.

1|0
    0|0
  • Do you mean on a facebook wall? If it's on facebook, I don't think it's a big deal unless the person attached a nice message beyond the phrase. Just do a collective thank you post. If someone comes up to you or messages you singly saying that, then yea, that's rude not to say anything. This isn't really a topic worth arguing about though. Birthdays aren't that special.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes thank you is good.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think it is rude. If someone had taken time out of their day then the least you can do is acknowledge it

0|0
    0|0
  • Meh, no it's not.

A simple "thank you'' would be enough, though.

:\

0|0
    0|0