Should fights in Ice Hockey be banned?

Do you think fighting in Ice Hockey leagues, such as NHL for example, be banned?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Girl

• No, they shouldn't be banned, but I don't like the idea of these fights. It's unnecessary. Of course, it is a source of entertainment and let the boneheads do whatever ever they please. It's their choice, but I still don't really like it. My ex-best friend played Ice Hockey and every time he had a game, I'd always be worried about him. He'd text me after most times and tell me if he got hurt or not and I'd be freaking out about it. It worries me, but I can't do much about it. :/

Most Helpful Guy

• Sometimes men need to handle issues physically. That concept has been lost on this generation of liberal tolerance and feminization. Honestly, I think rather than getting rid of fights, we should make them workplace safe: just have a pair of boxing gloves on hand, and if any two people have a problem with each other, let them punch it out. Then, when the winner is decided, make them say "good fight" then shake hands. Then they won't have those issues, and bet the number of crazed lunatics going on shooting sprees will decrease substantially. Everyone's forced to hold in that aggression, so it builds and builds and builds until someone explodes and decides to kill a bunch of people, when all that would have prevented it is a little boxing match. That's what they did in the 50s in schools when a couple of kids had a problem with the other.

Now. I remember, my little brother got jumped by 3 dudes in the library at his middle school. He kicked all of their asses at the same time (thanks to my... mmmm..."training", we'll call it), and what did the teachers do? They suspended him along with the 3 pricks who started it and jumped him 3 against 1. "You're supposed to be a female." is basically it. -.-;

Just make sure they wear mouth guards so they don't lose teeth, don't use the skates as a weapon: and win win win.

What Girls Said 8

• Hell no. Fighting is a choice. Let them Sort the problems out on the ice. Not everything needs democracy. Sometimes a little initiative is better.

• Now I might be biased because my boyfriend plays ice hockey, and he's gotten hurt, I'd usually say yes because of that but I voted no.
    He doesn't mind getting hurt, and I guess the fights are apart of what makes it interesting.

• NO!
    That's the best part of hockey.

• It doesn't add anything to the game, beyond loss of time due to little boys getting frustrated and not being able to handle their emotions.

• If that went on any where else them guys would be charged with some kind of an assault charge.

• No oh my god why no!!!

• obviously? aren't they meant to play hockey, instead of fight?

• I think they would lose viewers if they did so

What Guys Said 32

• i like the fighting but...

there are a lot of former NHL goons who suffer really traumatic brain issues including early onset dementia, CTE and other neuro injuries as a result of the constant fighting.

... so really for safety of it's players they need to ban fighting

• Even if fights are banned, somebody will eventually get mad and start throwing punches or kicks. Banning fights won't absolutely deter or prevent fights from being started.

• The fights are something that hockey fans like, similar to how baseball managers argue with umpires in a theatrical manner.

As long as no NHL players or officials are getting seriously hurt, there is no reason to eliminate fights. That would hurt viewership rating, and affect advertisement dollars, etc.

• Fuck no, what the heck? What do you want to turn this into, soccer?
    Hockey should stay as it is, right now is perfect.

• No. It's additional entertainment. People always cheer. Doesn't hurt anyone since referees stop the fighters when things get too extreme. I play ice hockey and would love to experience a fight. But I play with friends so I'm not gonna fight.

• In what universe is banning something going to stop it?
    Even if such a ban worked, it would destroy professional ice hockey, because that is probably what most of the crowd goes there to see.
    I do not expect naive young social justice warriors to be in touch with reality.

• it should in the moral sense, but it won't because it pays.

• 0|0
    • I remember a game I went to watch where everyone but the goalies started fighting, and the two goalies were "what the fuck is going on"

• @FallOutBoy2001 I was recently at a game with a new employee from India, he'd never seen hockey before. A fight started, Ace of Spades came on the PA system, and everyone's cheering. He was aghast. "Why is nobody stopping it, why are they allowing it to continue?"

• That's priceless

• Of course

• How would they sell tickets then?

• If fighting was banned then no one would watch it haha

• Yea I never really understood why hockey is the only sport that allows fights. Its an intimidating aspect of the game that has no business being in there on a professional level. Get the puke in the net, thats the point

• Only women and people who have never played hockey think fighting should be banned.

Fighting is part of the sport. Try getting checked, slashed, tripped, and be in a dig for the puck and not experience some form of anger and frustration. They're penalized for it already, and it's a great way of getting your aggression out to play smarter.

• No. Hockey sucks and if I knew 2 players were going to have a big problem, I'd watch. Basically the only reason to watch such a crappy sport is for the fights.

• Fuck no! That's the exciting point of a game when your team is losing!

Haven't you ever heard the expression "I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out?"

• No that's kind of the appeal to the game.

• The real question is, would banning fights actually stop them?

• Fights in hockey are not against the rules already?

• I find it hilarious when they fight out on the ice LOL! Falling down all over each other, looks like fish out of water.

• No that is the best fcking part lmao

• Then why tf would I watch?

• NOOOOO THAT'S WHAT HOCKEY IS ALL ABOUT LOL

• That would ruin the sport.

• That sport is boring enough as is.

• No, then why would anyone watch

• Hell naw! It's funny as hell to see Ice Hockey players fight! :D

• That's part of the fun of going to a hocky game!

• If i want to watch fights i put on k1 on tv.

• Yes fighting isn't good

• Technically it already is a penalty

• More from Guys
    2